annie morris

oldrover

i was very sad to hear today of the passing of Annie Morris. Annie was a real Featherstone Rovers stalwart for many many years. i understand the funeral will be on monday at pontefract crematorium at 1pm.Annie has no surviving relatives, so it would be good if some of her fellow supporters could attend. I think i'm right in saying that she was a life member and may have been the first woman to serve on the commitee, Terry Mullaney may be able to confirm this. Annie was areal character and rovers through and through, we may never see her like again. god bless, Annie

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

I heard last Sunday that she had passed away, apparantley she lived in a redidential home, i remember Annie very well and her brother Wilf too. I remember the blonde brassy hair and the red bee stung lips.

R.I.P Annie

Im Fev and im proud

A great supporter and volunteer worker for the club, everyone knew Annie.

I was once working in Leigh and met ex referee Stan Wall , once I told him I was a Rovers fan Annie was the first person he asked about.

A great character R.I.P.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

i'm not sure who annie is but if she is the person i'm thinkin of did she always sit in the same place but not been there for the last couple of years to the left hand side in the main stand facing the family stand?

Annie and brother,Wilf, never missed a match home or away as long as I knew them and that was a long time. I think I'm right in saying there was a period late sixties into the seventies when for ten consecutive years a different Rovers player had a benefit season and Annie & Wilf raised lots of money for each and every one of them. They could both be seen at every home game walking round the pitch perimeter with a blanket at half time catching coins thrown from the terraces and also selling half time and full time score tickets.

I'm sure you're right Old Rover that Annie was the first ever female club official in RL and back then in the 70's she was often refused entry to away clubs' board rooms as they were strictly male only zones. She was well known and well liked by many throughout the RL world especially the refs who regularly came in for some light hearted stick during and after the game from both Annie & Wilf. I'm not surprised to hear that former ref, Stan Wall asked about her. He and Billy Thompson were Annie's favourite targets when it came to the banter but they were always great friends.

I would confidently say there has never been a more dedicated fan of the Rovers than Annie Morris. RIP Annie.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Annie and Wilf epitomised exactly what Featherstone Rovers are, a club of the people, run by the people. Perhaps in this day and age not the best way to do business, but with characters like Annie, who cares ? it works for us. My father often used to speak to her and I'm sure she was the lady Billy Boston spoke to me about when I met up with him a couple of years ago. Sadly I'm unable to attend her final journey, but my love, gratitude and prayers go with her. Because of Annie and her like Featherstone Rovers go from strength to strength.

God Bless dear lady.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

Annie reached the grand old age of 88 and spent her last years at langtree park nursing home. the funeral will take place at 1pm i believe at pontefract crematorium. i have also been informed that her ashes will be scattered at the post office road ground.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Annie was one of my earliest memories of my POR visits.....as a nipper I remember missing the blanket loads of times...I bet you could find a few coins even now with a metal detector!....happy days....her ashes on the pitch is a nice touch. RIP Annie

There are no strangers at Post Office Road, only friends who haven't met.

I i remember Annie with the blanket.They wouldn,t let it happen know under health and safety there was many a near miss when them coins went flying out of the stands

RIP ANNIE

:rolleyes:

WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).

ROVERS ROVERS

I i remember Annie with the blanket.They wouldn,t let it happen know under health and safety there was many a near miss when them coins went flying out of the stands

RIP ANNIE

:rolleyes:

I echo all those sentiments. R.I.P Annie.