Kirk Netherton

Robin  Evans

Signed for Widnes until the end of the season. Mark's SMith's long term injury is now covered on a season long loan agreement by Cas hooker Kirk Netherton.

Wasn't this lad touted by us some months ago?

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Widnes in loan signing shocker. Do they own any players?

He'll be pretty good for them I reckon, presume he'll be in against us which will give them a lift.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Widnes in loan signing shocker. Do they own any players?

He'll be pretty good for them I reckon, presume he'll be in against us which will give them a lift.

We have got Ben Davies, Jordan James and now Kirk Netherton on loan. We also have Liam Farrell and Chris Dean on Dual registration both of whom are back at their parent clubs (Dean only played 1 or 2 matches for us).

We have got Ben Davies, Jordan James and now Kirk Netherton on loan. We also have Liam Farrell and Chris Dean on Dual registration both of whom are back at their parent clubs (Dean only played 1 or 2 matches for us).

What's the Widnes fans take on dual registration players. I'd stop em now.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

he must be a superstar if he plays for cas not suprised he cant get a game there with all the world class talent theyve got :P:P

And Ainscough. And Craig Hall. And Kevin Penny. Etc, etc.

he must be a superstar if he plays for cas not suprised he cant get a game there with all the world class talent theyve got :P:P

very true

YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

Quite frankly I find it pathetic that a club with self-professed (quote : 'We WILL be in Super League in 2012) SL ambitions have to borrow so many players just to be competitive in the Championship.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

Quite frankly I find it pathetic that a club with self-professed (quote : 'We WILL be in Super League in 2012) SL ambitions have to borrow so many players just to be competitive in the Championship.

Don't know about it being "pathetic" but i do think it raises questions about the system. I'm pretty certain this system was brought in at the behest of SL clubs, because they can call back players immediately. Scrap it now!!!

Don't know about it being "pathetic" but i do think it raises questions about the system. I'm pretty certain this system was brought in at the behest of SL clubs, because they can call back players immediately. Scrap it now!!!

I disagree. Widnes have signed dual registered players who they knew full well would be likely to get called back at the drop of a hat. Dean and Ainscough both made plenty of SL appearances for their respective clubs in 2009, so it was obvious that they may be required more often than not.

I think when Championship clubs approach their SL counterparts with regards to dual-registering players, they should be realistic with who they acquire.

The guys we have on dual-reg are very unlikely to be called up for SL action by Huddersfield Giants, so they should be with our squad all season. In other words, we took the sensible option when it came to taking advantage of the system.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

I disagree. Widnes have signed dual registered players who they knew full well would be likely to get called back at the drop of a hat. Dean and Ainscough both made plenty of SL appearances for their respective clubs in 2009, so it was obvious that they may be required more often than not.

I think when Championship clubs approach their SL counterparts with regards to dual-registering players, they should be realistic with who they acquire.

The guys we have on dual-reg are very unlikely to be called up for SL action by Huddersfield Giants, so they should be with our squad all season. In other words, we took the sensible option when it came to taking advantage of the system.

I don't disagree with your basic argument. I just don't think it was pathetic, it was just a club playing the system without thinking about it. I don't even know who we now have on dual registration. I'm just dead set against it.

Widnes currently have 3 loan players as previously stated. 2 of those have been aquired in the last 2 weeks to cover our injury crisis.

Paul Cullen stated on local radio that on sunday he had 12 first team players sat in the stands with injuries - and 2 others went off during the game (Yates and Ford).

This has been the situation since pretty much the first match of the season, so we HAVE remained competative without borrowing, and have done so with home grown players from our youth system.

Loaning in players when they become available is a good idea and will benifit the young players as the pressure of having to perform to such a high standard week in week out at such a young age cannot be good for their long term development.

Widnes currently have 3 loan players as previously stated. 2 of those have been aquired in the last 2 weeks to cover our injury crisis.

Paul Cullen stated on local radio that on sunday he had 12 first team players sat in the stands with injuries - and 2 others went off during the game (Yates and Ford).

This has been the situation since pretty much the first match of the season, so we HAVE remained competative without borrowing, and have done so with home grown players from our youth system.

Loaning in players when they become available is a good idea and will benifit the young players as the pressure of having to perform to such a high standard week in week out at such a young age cannot be good for their long term development.

I've no problem at all with loan players. You have them for the period of the loan and they can't be re-called at the drop of a hat. It's dual registration players i disagree with. It's feeder club by the back door. Teams are making plans for their next match then the dual - reg players are being re-called. This can't be good for the players or the team.

If you notice I said HAVE got not HAD. Ainscoughs DR was cancelled so he could go to Cas and the other 2 along with Pickersgill was soooo last year.

Zzzzzz whatever mate.

Widnes brought in half a team of ringers to win the knockout Cup last year to tick a SL box and now are sitting back smugly thinking their stadium gives them an automatic position in SL 2012.

It's all perfectly within the rules, and good luck to them. They have no need to bother too much with this season at all, hence the plethora of loanees.

It hardly makes for good sport though.

Zzzzzz whatever mate.

Widnes brought in half a team of ringers to win the knockout Cup last year to tick a SL box and now are sitting back smugly thinking their stadium gives them an automatic position in SL 2012.

It's all perfectly within the rules, and good luck to them. They have no need to bother too much with this season at all, hence the plethora of loanees.

It hardly makes for good sport though.

Half a team or 3 players.........? Still lets not let facts get in the way, ey!

And your second paragraph seems a contradiction to me, if widnes have no need to bother this season then surley they WOULDN'T bother with loan plays to cover their (rater long) injury list rather than the fact that they are......

And why doesn't it make for good sport? Surley competative games = good sport!

Just to add to the first poster that Netherton is here initially for a months loan deal not on a dual reg which I dont think he would qualify for given his age.

May get extended but in the first instance he's here to cover for the injured Smith and Coyle and give us a bit of breathing space in not playing a 19 year old LF or 18 year old half back at hooker.

Ainscoughs DR was cancelled

He's now back at Widnes, bloody farce this dual reg thing.

Edited by John Ismiddle

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Regarding your last statement, what about the old saying, "if they are good enough they are old enough".

I thought that bringing young players through was the whole objective?.

Regarding your last statement, what about the old saying, "if they are good enough they are old enough".

I thought that bringing young players through was the whole objective?.

Widnes have just come managed to win two games in four days with a load of youngsters in the 17 but the truth is that the 18/19/20 year olds aren't good enough (yet) to be put up as a group against Fev, Wigan, Leigh, Barrow in quick succession. Having said that there will still likely be 6 or 7 players aged 22 or under on the teamsheet tomorrow.

Different clubs have different strategies. In the 3 years since Steve O'Connor took control Widnes haven't fielded a single overseas quota player and have only had a total of 3 different non-quota players from down under (Webster, Kohe Love and Gannon). The preference has to been to fill the gaps with young British loan talent rather than line the pockets of Aussies, Kiwis or Papua New Guineans. The likes of Chris Dean and Joel Tomkins have got some valuable experience as a result and are now doing well in SL.

Fair play to clubs who take a different approach but I don't think there's anything wrong with the way the Vikings have approached things.

Neither do I Steve ! Although i am not enthusiastic about dual registrations, it is something that the clubs must have agreed to , the future of clubs may well depend on their ratings or ability to gain a Super League licence. That's why many clubs will do everything in the book to get that. As I said I do not agree with DR I feel that an under 21 and underv19 nleague would be more beneficial in bringing young players forward. Unfortunately all players have to be contracted and that precludes most Championship teams from operating younger teams. That is where I believe the problem lies with bringing young players to the fore. Edited by Bob Fowler

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

The system was most likely brought in in order to assist the SL clubs with their finances, ie; wages bill.