Rovers - What is the real potential?

Scubby

Like many on here I have been following the club for many years and have seen some great sides. Now SL is a different beast altoghter and it doesn't look like franchising is going away. I actually agree with franchising and if Rovers got their act together and were awarded a franchise, in the not too distance future, then the three year period would be the foundation to really develop this club.

What I am asking is what is the real potential of this club - in terms of revenue and core support. I have been in the ground when it has been bursting 6-7,000 with large away followings (and I'm sure some will have enjoyed much bigger crowds in earlier years). But I've also been in the stadium the week after we got to Wembley, for example, and seen 2,000 there and also sub-2k crowds in the top flight.

Now the new proposals are exciting and will transform this club. If we were in the top flight what would be our real potential? Games like Leeds, Castleford, Wigan, Saints and Hull etc will draw good sized crowds but what would be the potential for season ticket sales - what would be the core support for games like Salford, Catalans etc? I think a lot of people follow Featherstone without actually attending games. Historically we have always struggled for crowds - could we realistically look at getting, say, 2-500-3,000 season ticket holders with a new stadium?

If we ever get into SL I'll show my @rse on Brid front!

Never in this whole wide world will it happen. We're not wanted. They'll go for Scottish, Irish, Spanish or even consider a team from Ulan Bator or the upper volta before Fev. Sad as this is, I feel our future is always going to be outside SL while ever the 'selection' system is in place.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Never in this whole wide world will it happen. We're not wanted. They'll go for Scottish, Irish, Spanish or even consider a team from Ulan Bator or the upper volta before Fev. Sad as this is, I feel our future is always going to be outside SL while ever the 'selection' system is in place.

we'll be able to see that from Carnaby then eh Robin :D:D

frankslater1copy.jpg

If that was the case we may aswell tear up the new stadium drawings, rebuild the posh penguin and get the blanket out at half time again. The club are making the right noises on and off the field. It may be 2015 as a more realistic option - but the club is moving forward nicely. Whether we have the potential to back that up with a sustained number of bums on seats is something that has challenged the club historically. I was asking about potential - I like to look for the positives.

The 1st question I am faced with, whilst trying to sell fev to em, is "ye but ye can't win owt can ye?!" and by the time I've explained, their too fed up and amused to even consider coming down. If p&r isn't fetched back, then our league will allways be a laughing stock

Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

Franchising is garbage, all the Super League need to do, like the Premier League do, is to give teams adequate parachute payments so that they don't go bust if they get relegated. It might also mean that clubs would have to be careful rather than wasting all the TV money.

The problem is that, the Super League teams are gready and want it all for themselves....

Its a joke really...

Steven Ashton

Franchising is garbage, all the Super League need to do, like the Premier League do, is to give teams adequate parachute payments so that they don't go bust if they get relegated. It might also mean that clubs would have to be careful rather than wasting all the TV money.

The problem is that, the Super League teams are gready and want it all for themselves....

Its a joke really...

The thread is simple. Franchising is here to stay. I agree with it and some others don't - fair enough. However, it is the only route available at the minute for Rovers. What I think we need to know is if we re-configure the stadium and move forward with the squad - what is the club's potential? Do you think the club would be wasting its time building a 12k stadium for example if we are only ever going to get a core of 2k?

Edited by Scubby

Like many on here I have been following the club for many years and have seen some great sides. Now SL is a different beast altoghter and it doesn't look like franchising is going away. I actually agree with franchising and if Rovers got their act together and were awarded a franchise, in the not too distance future, then the three year period would be the foundation to really develop this club.

What I am asking is what is the real potential of this club - in terms of revenue and core support. I have been in the ground when it has been bursting 6-7,000 with large away followings (and I'm sure some will have enjoyed much bigger crowds in earlier years). But I've also been in the stadium the week after we got to Wembley, for example, and seen 2,000 there and also sub-2k crowds in the top flight.

Now the new proposals are exciting and will transform this club. If we were in the top flight what would be our real potential? Games like Leeds, Castleford, Wigan, Saints and Hull etc will draw good sized crowds but what would be the potential for season ticket sales - what would be the core support for games like Salford, Catalans etc? I think a lot of people follow Featherstone without actually attending games. Historically we have always struggled for crowds - could we realistically look at getting, say, 2-500-3,000 season ticket holders with a new stadium?

The years when we got 2k in the top flight most clubs were struggling for crowds then, but we could always pack them in in the cup, a good number of times in the 70s there were over 10k for cup crowds. A few seasons in the early 90s we averaged over 4k i well remember a game V Sheffield in this period when we got nearly 4k with little if any away fans. As for if we were in super league now, well the away support from some teams is phenominal, Hull for instance took between 4 and 5k to Cas saturday according to the radio, plus for the lesser teams just look at wakey, we matched them when we were both in the same division no reason to think we wouldnt now. I reckon with the away followings we would average 6k.

Featherstone may be a small place but the club pulls passionate support from ponte, Knottingley, Ackworth and all the surrounding villages

Sheer coincidence, having spotted this topic, but having just returned from Cyprus, it was a holiday I nearly didnt make. Going through security at Manchester, security spotted my FEV shirt and immediately started to slag me off. Told me he was a Wigan fan and that we had no chance of achieving anything, least of all promotion. The mist descended and I created a right scene. Passengers stood back, radios crackling and the Wigan w*****r rocked back on his heels.

Finally persuaded to calm down, by his supervisor, although I enjoyed it whilst it lasted, helped by the thought of the sunshine and brandy and cokes.

Please dont tell me to put an official complaint in. He was not worth it and I would not lower myself to the toupee standards.

If that was the case we may aswell tear up the new stadium drawings, rebuild the posh penguin and get the blanket out at half time again. The club are making the right noises on and off the field. It may be 2015 as a more realistic option - but the club is moving forward nicely. Whether we have the potential to back that up with a sustained number of bums on seats is something that has challenged the club historically. I was asking about potential - I like to look for the positives.

your lead post posed the question - I just answered it, not just from the positive but from the heart! It may differ from your opinion. C'est la vie.

potential-is how far we as a club/community dare to take us forward-dont agree with franchising exactly but i want to c us plasying the likes of leeds n wigan so thi has to take the rough wi the smooth....

is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe

I agree with Robin we will never be offered a franchise but at the same time I disagree with Scubby,I don't think the Franchise system is here for good. While Rovers attendances are going up slightly there are too many in our leagues that are losing fans at a fantastic rate. In SUPER DUPER fans at the bottom end are not as passionate now that they know that their clubs are relatively safe and they soon will be decreasing. There will have to be a major turnaround to save the game soon. Many players can now see that playing for clubs like Featherstone and working brings in more money than risking going full time.You only have to look at clubs like Harlequins to realise that in no way is expansion ever going to work big time. The question about Fevs potential speaks for itself. 6300plus. saw Fev play Cas in a nortern rail cup tie a few years ago admittedly a lot came from Cas but at the same time this game brought out a lot of the Featherstone people too.The RL must take a greater look at football where they can promote teams like Barnsley. Burnley. Wimbledon and Blackpool over the years. If they make it then it must be good if they don't they get relegated and try again. What is wrong with that simple formula or am I DAFT?

The trouble with franchising is that it maintains the status quo. It does not encourage competition either as franchise supporters might take note the bottom 4 will usually be the same although sometimes in a different order.

What is the potential for Fev Leigh Fax Barrow et al ? Well it is to stay out of the top flight unless P & R are brought back so will crowds go up or down whilst we have franchising ?

The evidence is already there for the RL. When an experiment goes wrong a scientist will bin it. Somehow I do not have the same confidence in the RFL.

People think I am a flat capper because I think franchising is daft. Well I am not and have nothing against expansion. A game which is primarily played at the professional level with local rivalries and around the M62 corridor is not suited to a franchise system.

The years when we got 2k in the top flight most clubs were struggling for crowds then, but we could always pack them in in the cup, a good number of times in the 70s there were over 10k for cup crowds. A few seasons in the early 90s we averaged over 4k i well remember a game V Sheffield in this period when we got nearly 4k with little if any away fans. As for if we were in super league now, well the away support from some teams is phenominal, Hull for instance took between 4 and 5k to Cas saturday according to the radio, plus for the lesser teams just look at wakey, we matched them when we were both in the same division no reason to think we wouldnt now. I reckon with the away followings we would average 6k.

Featherstone may be a small place but the club pulls passionate support from ponte, Knottingley, Ackworth and all the surrounding villages

I agree with everything you say here Dave. We have to keep up the great work being done at the club in all areas and work towards ticking as many boxes as possible therefore making it uncomfortably difficult for the RFL to justify our exclusion. Out of the three clubs in the area Rovers appear to have the best chance of a new stadium I would say which will be a big plus obviously. Our crowds are on the up and could well rise to the required average of 2500. I wouldn't write Rovers off provided we can continue to sustain the present impetus all round.

We are indeed worthy, no doubt about it but we'll have a winnable battle on our hands.

Edited by Terry Mullaney

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Our potential should be to be the best we can in whatever division we find ourselves in. Although like robin i think hell will freeze over before we are allowed in SL.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

do we really want to be a super league club? To me the competition is a joke, theres half at dozen teams that are just making the numbers up and dont have a cat in hells chance of winning anything. I would much rather watch fev in the division we are in challenging for honours, than be 1 of the teams making the numbers up in super league. Best thing championship clubs could do is break away have 2 divisions with promotion and relegation, with northern rail cup as a knockout competition through the season. If you look at attendances in championship 1 half the clubs will be luck to still be going in 5 years time, so something needs doing to save these clubs, cause if isnt leeds, saints, wigan and at few others the rugby league dont care.

I agree with everything you say here Dave. We have to keep up the great work being done at the club in all areas and work towards ticking as many boxes as possible therefore making it uncomfortably difficult for the RFL to justify our exclusion. Out of the three clubs in the area Rovers appear to have the best chance of a new stadium I would say which will be a big plus obviously. Our crowds are on the up and could well rise to the required average of 2500. I wouldn't write Rovers off provided we can continue to sustain the present impetus all round.

We are indeed worthy, no doubt about it but we'll have a winnable battle on our hands.

Exactly right Terry. This is why I actually agree with the Franchising system if it is adhered to correctly. If a club like Wakefield or Castleford are still at an artist impression stage with a stadium (with three years of warnings) then IMO at least one of them has to go. Rovers could have sat on their hands and said "we'll never get there" but I like the attitude of the club. As was mentioned earlier, the job is to make the RFL's job as uncomfortable as possible when the decision comes around.

People look at franchising from the viewpoint of a championship club. Exactly what could Rovers achieve with three years of stability at the highest level? The stadium development is key to providing fresh impetus for the club.

Do you think the club would be wasting its time building a 12k stadium for example if we are only ever going to get a core of 2k?

NO its a must irrespective of home crowds. At the minute the ground hosts cup finals at all levels and sexes we have recently hosted an amateur international and have held world cup games. WE need to move to the next level remember the keepmoat hosted a challenge cup semi- final and on the 12th the LSV holds a full international. So it would be benificial to the club to get similar exposure.

Exactly right Terry. This is why I actually agree with the Franchising system if it is adhered to correctly. If a club like Wakefield or Castleford are still at an artist impression stage with a stadium (with three years of warnings) then IMO at least one of them has to go. Rovers could have sat on their hands and said "we'll never get there" but I like the attitude of the club. As was mentioned earlier, the job is to make the RFL's job as uncomfortable as possible when the decision comes around.

People look at franchising from the viewpoint of a championship club. Exactly what could Rovers achieve with three years of stability at the highest level? The stadium development is key to providing fresh impetus for the club.

Why all the hullabaloo about new grounds anyway? Did anyone see the SheffieldvKeighley match last night? I can tell you that Bramall Lane is a top ground but 1272 in that stadium does no justice to a televised Rugby League game at all. There seemed little or no atmosphere generated from the stand occupied by the fans. Grounds like Widnes and Leigh where you have to plead to stand or sit where you want to are nice stadia but NOT what a RL fan wants. They are souless and clinical to the extreme. How many clubs actually need a 12000 stadia? I can only think of two at the moment. Heres hoping that Fev can maintain its atmospheric element when the alterations to the ground are completed.

I fully agree upon the point of stadium capacity. IMO 9000 tops is adequate. When the franchcise is applied and IF C*s and Wakey are demoted due to ground problems, will Leigh and Widnes replace them solely upon stadium conditions?. To stir the pot even further, what if the above happens and say Wakey gain promotion back into the SL with no new ground in sight ,coupled with one of the Lancs clubs being relegated. Another fine mess.

Reminds me of the Desert Road Band"s hit. "One step forward and two steps back" or maybe I am just a cynical owd b****r.

I fully agree upon the point of stadium capacity. IMO 9000 tops is adequate.

I think to tick a franchise box you need 10K capacity.

On this subject interesting article in this months Rugby League World. In it they assess teams applying for next round of franchise and I quote""The Big Fellas Stadium as it has become known this season currently has a capacity of 6800 which would rise towards 11 000 with the installation of crush barriers on the terracing"

so for people saying we dont need this capacity or that capacty your right because if this is true then for little cost we've got it and can tick another box!

I fully agree upon the point of stadium capacity. IMO 9000 tops is adequate.

I think to tick a franchise box you need 10K capacity.

On this subject interesting article in this months Rugby League World. In it they assess teams applying for next round of franchise and I quote""The Big Fellas Stadium as it has become known this season currently has a capacity of 6800 which would rise towards 11 000 with the installation of crush barriers on the terracing"

so for people saying we dont need this capacity or that capacty your right because if this is true then for little cost we've got it and can tick another box!

might be wrong here but i'm almost certain i read that it has to be 12000 for the franchise tick. hope not like

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling

Plastering

Bathroom fitting

Fencing

Guttering

Insurance work

Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

I don't want us to be in SL, im happy here at the top of the league playing champagne football, it's entertaining and fun! Plus we arent over stretched financially. We can be the best where we are now and offer the odd cup upset every now and then. There isn't enough commerce in Fev to justify the transition! if we went up there we'd be one of the bottom clubs, getting our asses whooped every week!

as it stands at the mo mick, i'm inclined to agree. But that doesn't mean things can't change. To sterilise that option now would rule out any opportunities the future may present.

Personally, a modular stadium that can be built upon or have the capacity increased relatively easy would be desirable. However, i'm sure the bod have this in hand.

We're not ready for sl at the mo, but i don't think crusaders were/are and harlequins certainly aren't functioning at that level. You could argue neither are salford despite their years in sl.

I would just like to see us be ready, able and willing to make the step up should the finances, infrastructure and personel make it 'doable' if ever the opportunity arise again.

However, i do believe there's as much chance as me being regarded as talk dark and handsome by kylie as we have of ever being offered a licence. It's never going to happen. Not unles there's a massive change in direction by the RFL and those funding the game - SKY!

Edited by Robin Evans