Under 18's Academy

Have you got an Under 15's team?

Been to watch many reserves games and the Featherstone side would beat some of the 'Super League' Academy sides.

It's very enjoyable watching the skill and flair that these lads have to show.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

The table is now split into three based on points difference, and the teams play home and away against the other members of their group:

Group A

St Helens +200

Wigan Warriors +168

Widnes Vikings +74

Leeds Rhinos +72

Hull Kingston Rovers +20

Group B

Warrington Wolves +6

Wakefield T Wildcats +2

Castleford Tigers -18

Harlequins RL -36

Bradford Bulls -40

Group C

Hull FC -115

Salford -139

Huddersfield -234

Catalans

Crusaders

I look forward to seeing Widnes' top quality u18s come through into our first team, and hopefully play SL rugby in our 'adequate' stadium sometime after 2012.

Edited by Vengeance

There is no way an under 18's academy should be used solely a reference for SL decisions.

For a start in some towns, e.g. Leigh, the local amateur clubs are the clubs of choice for most youngsters at such a young age. Why should we be punished for this path being chosen. Would it be better to eradicate amatuer systems to push these academies?

Why not include the depth of talent on a broader level within each town, including amatuer Under 17,18,19's teams?

Also some clubs (e.g. Bradford, Wire) stack their under 18's academies with lad from outside their town because they have the money to snare them. How the hell is that fair?

the production line is up and running, what better way to spend money than in youth development, as opposed to the quick fix of artificial glory.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

There is no way an under 18's academy should be used solely a reference for SL decisions.

For a start in some towns, e.g. Leigh, the local amateur clubs are the clubs of choice for most youngsters at such a young age. Why should we be punished for this path being chosen. Would it be better to eradicate amatuer systems to push these academies?

Why not include the depth of talent on a broader level within each town, including amatuer Under 17,18,19's teams?

Also some clubs (e.g. Bradford, Wire) stack their under 18's academies with lad from outside their town because they have the money to snare them. How the hell is that fair?

Ok, lets include u16 academies as well. Most championship clubs dont even have one. Ours is merrily beating the SL teams it plays against.

But seriously, how can the SL make a judgment on outside organisations? Theyd be here till doomsday with clubs claiming all sorts of feeder teams and streams of potential players and income. There has to be a cutoff somewhere and the logical place is the actual applicant club itself? In any case, as a side note, I'd say there is very little to choose between the amateur talent in Leigh, Widnes or for that matter, Barrow, Featherstone etc, so theres no real gain to be made by including it, except where there blatantly is LESS, like Sheffield for example.

Ok, lets include u16 academies as well. Most championship clubs dont even have one. Ours is merrily beating the SL teams it plays against.

But seriously, how can the SL make a judgment on outside organisations? Theyd be here till doomsday with clubs claiming all sorts of feeder teams and streams of potential players and income. There has to be a cutoff somewhere and the logical place is the actual applicant club itself? In any case, as a side note, I'd say there is very little to choose between the amateur talent in Leigh, Widnes or for that matter, Barrow, Featherstone etc, so theres no real gain to be made by including it, except where there blatantly is LESS, like Sheffield for example.

also its a case of having a structue in place.. for the club itself.. IIRC the academies have to be set up in a certain way as well, education the kids beyond just how to play RL, a case of getting them set for life after RL or if it doesnt work out etc which is a good thing..

but an u18 academy is not the sole reference for a sl franchise as a stadium is not the sole reference.. it is part of a greater whole.. if Leigh dont believe they need an academy becuase the amateur youth sorts it all out then that is absolutely fine its 1 point.. there are 9 others to aim for.. you ony need aabout 5 to be up towards the top of the tree for a liscence.. but the other bits need to be good. its horses for courses..

What I don't get about the Under 18s is it's about 10 games but they're set to overlap with the National Youth League. Either it should be a full season OR it should be a short season with players going back to their clubs, giving players a choice between just 10 games or messing about their club by playing just the first half of the season really isn't on

if Leigh dont believe they need an academy becuase the amateur youth sorts it all out then that is absolutely fine its 1 point..

No it isn't

If they dont have an Academy then they have to demonstrate to the RFL that they are the ones who are developing these kids who play with the amateur teams.

Maybe Lobby can enlighten us as to how exactly Leigh are developing these kids in a way that matches the level of development they would receive from playing in an Academy ?

Oh and Lobby, before you give us chapter & verse about how Leigh has the best amateur teams in the country go and check the results as to which town has the best youth team (U16's in the county) - i'll give you a clue, its NOT Leigh !!! ;)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

also its a case of having a structue in place.. for the club itself.. IIRC the academies have to be set up in a certain way as well, education the kids beyond just how to play RL, a case of getting them set for life after RL or if it doesnt work out etc which is a good thing..

but an u18 academy is not the sole reference for a sl franchise as a stadium is not the sole reference.. it is part of a greater whole.. if Leigh dont believe they need an academy becuase the amateur youth sorts it all out then that is absolutely fine its 1 point.. there are 9 others to aim for.. you ony need aabout 5 to be up towards the top of the tree for a liscence.. but the other bits need to be good. its horses for courses..

Not sure if Leigh still have an academy but they did have one for a long time. Nevertheless not all young lads in Leigh want to play in the academy, BECAUSE the set-up at the amatuer clubs in Leigh are superb. Leigh RLFC are working with those amateur clubs now, but the pro club won't be able to "claim" these youngsters as part of franchising even if they are born and bred in Leigh and Leigh RLFC have played a part in the schools set up etc

On the other hand moneybags Wire could come in, snare a good young Leyther up from Leigh Miners with

Not sure if Leigh still have an academy but they did have one for a long time. Nevertheless not all young lads in Leigh want to play in the academy, BECAUSE the set-up at the amatuer clubs in Leigh are superb. Leigh RLFC are working with those amateur clubs now, but the pro club won't be able to "claim" these youngsters as part of franchising even if they are born and bred in Leigh and Leigh RLFC have played a part in the schools set up etc

On the other hand moneybags Wire could come in, snare a good young Leyther up from Leigh Miners with

i'm sure not all young lads want to.. but thats not the point.. academies dont always have the best kids in them becuase kids develop at different speeds etc.. but it is something very important to ave in place it also allows kids who may need to normally leave school and just get a job to continue and further their education something thy may not have had the chance to do.. its more than just the rugby at these academies..

as for the moneybags.. it happens in football as well.. money talks and that is just the way that it goes sadly thee is very little you cn do about it..

Saitn Toppy: i could have sworn it wasa franchise point for having an acadmey structure up to standard xyz but i may well be wrong..

I know what you are saying, but I feel a full range of academies at Leigh could either bankrupt the club and could also disrupt amateur youth set-ups

Perhaps academies at all 30-odd clubs should be protected funding with sky money?

I know what you are saying, but I feel a full range of academies at Leigh could either bankrupt the club and could also disrupt amateur youth set-ups

Perhaps academies at all 30-odd clubs should be protected funding with sky money?

probelm is wth "protected funing with sky money" is that if you protect x amount then that is just simply x amount that clubs are given for the acadmey rather than being allowed to spend it on what they like.. which is fie and makes sure that academies are funded but it wont save the club from bankruptcy becuase if it worries you that diverting x amount wto the academy will bankrupt the club then all you are doing by "protected funding" is saying you HAVE to divert x to the academy but now you are getting funding-x from sky for the rest of te club.. so it goes bankrup.. if they cannot survive with out the money that an academy costs then it doesnt matter if it is protected funding or not you still go bankrupt.it would be the same moeny but you would be forced to move it around rather than doing it by choice.

disrupt amateur youth set ups.. does it everywhere else there is a youth academy? maybe it does i dont know but i would be suprised.

I understand that both the Catalans and the Crusaders will participate in the C Group playing home and away - 8 matches - against Hull FC, Huddersfield and Salford starting from next month. The Catalans played four friendly matches last year at this age group so real progress for them here.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg