1952 final

tms

The team was:-

Freddie Miller; Eric Batten, Don metcalfe, Alan tennant, Norman Mitchell; Ray cording, Ray evans;Kenny Welburn, Bill Bradshaw, John Daly;Laurie Gant, Fred Hulme; Cliff Lambert. Hope this helps

As a little footnote here am pretty sure I heard a rumour from a reliable source that at the time we had 3 good centres in that final squad and in the lead up to the game a coin was tossed to see who would partner Alan Tennant

Don Metcalfe apparently got the Nod over...Keith Goulding ? can anyone confirm this snippet from all those years ago ?

Interesting - well I thought so anyway ! :rolleyes:

As a little footnote here am pretty sure I heard a rumour from a reliable source that at the time we had 3 good centres in that final squad and in the lead up to the game a coin was tossed to see who would partner Alan Tennant

Don Metcalfe apparently got the Nod over...Keith Goulding ? can anyone confirm this snippet from all those years ago ?

Interesting - well I thought so anyway ! :rolleyes:

Goulding played in a previous round due to in jury. But the line up in the final was first choice.

I tried to upload my team sheet for 1951-52 but the file was too big. Just two points - Don Metcalfe didn't appear until February 2, which was bad luck for Keith Goulding. Also throughout the handwritten sheet is name is "Golding". I can remember Keith saying he was dropping the "u" because his 13 letter name was unlucky. And that is true.

I tried to upload my team sheet for 1951-52 but the file was too big. Just two points - Don Metcalfe didn't appear until February 2, which was bad luck for Keith Goulding. Also throughout the handwritten sheet is name is "Golding". I can remember Keith saying he was dropping the "u" because his 13 letter name was unlucky. And that is true.

Quick memory. Willis Fawley and Keith Goulding often played in Purston Park with the lads.Willis was a bit faster.

Just checked, with source ( who is a little shy, and would rather remain unidentified ) but did play in the 1983 Wembley Showpiece ( that narrows it down a little ) and he assures me that the coin toss story is in fact true, and was told to him verbally by either Keith himself or Laurie Gant he cannot quite remember which.

Unfortunately, this cannot be verified as both these 2 great servants of Featherstone Rovers are coaching elsewhere I imagine, willing the class of 2010 to stay focused and continue their efforts !

Just checked, with source ( who is a little shy, and would rather remain unidentified ) but did play in the 1983 Wembley Showpiece ( that narrows it down a little ) and he assures me that the coin toss story is in fact true, and was told to him verbally by either Keith himself or Laurie Gant he cannot quite remember which.

Unfortunately, this cannot be verified as both these 2 great servants of Featherstone Rovers are coaching elsewhere I imagine, willing the class of 2010 to stay focused and continue their efforts !

Was around at that time just 18. Went to every match and training session. Goulding did in fact drop the 'u' but never heard any rumours about coin toss. Presumably we are talking about Metcalfe. Different as chalk and cheese from Keith. Keith was a good defender but didn't have the sidestep of

Metcalfe or the speed. One of those folklore things. Can you imagine Batten having to change his complete Wembley strategy on the toss of a coin? I think not. My memory is not what it was but I remember Keith playing in the semis against Leigh. Had a good game. But Batten was a perfectionist a coin toss was not his way of working.

Was around at that time just 18. Went to every match and training session. Goulding did in fact drop the 'u' but never heard any rumours about coin toss. Presumably we are talking about Metcalfe. Different as chalk and cheese from Keith. Keith was a good defender but didn't have the sidestep of

Metcalfe or the speed. One of those folklore things. Can you imagine Batten having to change his complete Wembley strategy on the toss of a coin? I think not. My memory is not what it was but I remember Keith playing in the semis against Leigh. Had a good game. But Batten was a perfectionist a coin toss was not his way of working.

Additionally which two great servants are we talking about? The information from a 83 finalist is hearsay and 31 years later. If it had happened it would have been a topic of conversation long ago.

I wasn't around in 1952 so Im not going to disagree with any of that.

I would like to point out that although Eric Batten was the coach then, a coach's function (and Batten was no exception) was very different to what it is today. Although Im sure he'd have had a say on selection, the team was not picked by the coach back then, but by a selection of the committee. Hard to imagine nowadays, but that's how it was. Given that places in the team were often 'put to the vote' by these committee members, the coin tossing story could be true, however unlikely. Either way, I doubt that would have been Batten's call to make.

The team was:-

Freddie Miller; Eric Batten, Don metcalfe, Alan tennant, Norman Mitchell; Ray cording, Ray evans;Kenny Welburn, Bill Bradshaw, John Daly;Laurie Gant, Fred Hulme; Cliff Lambert. Hope this helps

That indeed was the team. As I remember it Laurie Gany was down with flu a week before the game and was doubtful. However to my recollection he played loose forward and not second row. Willis was overlooked not for the last time in a big game. Bradshaw in for his hooking ability.

That indeed was the team. As I remember it Laurie Gany was down with flu a week before the game and was doubtful. However to my recollection he played loose forward and not second row. Willis was overlooked not for the last time in a big game. Bradshaw in for his hooking ability.

Another thought Ray Cording came to us as a winger. Batten made him a stand off.

• 1 month later...

Ray Cording was signed as a winger. In 1950-51 six players had a go at stand-off without much success. In 1951-52 four players had a go until on January 5 Ray Cording was given his chance. Three games later Don Metcalfe made his debut. The rest is history.

Regarding selection - there were 19 members of the Rover committee, and I think six of them made the team selection committee. I do not know how much input the coach had, but it made his job more difficult. Does anyone know when he got full responsibility?

Laurie Gant did have flu before the final. He did play second row. Slam Lambert was loose forward.

Regarding selection - there were 19 members of the Rover committee, and I think six of them made the team selection committee. I do not know how much input the coach had, but it made his job more difficult. Does anyone know when he got full responsibility?

Not until much much later. Peter Fox was still having probems with the selection committee in the early 1970s. Not sure who wouldve been the first coach to get full selection responsibilities, but it would be around then.

For GB, FRank Myler was the first coach to pick his own tour squad in 1984!

I wasn't around in 1952 so Im not going to disagree with any of that.

I would like to point out that although Eric Batten was the coach then, a coach's function (and Batten was no exception) was very different to what it is today. Although Im sure he'd have had a say on selection, the team was not picked by the coach back then, but by a selection of the committee. Hard to imagine nowadays, but that's how it was. Given that places in the team were often 'put to the vote' by these committee members, the coin tossing story could be true, however unlikely. Either way, I doubt that would have been Batten's call to make.

Sorry not to have replied sooner, been on hols. You are right of course about the committee but Eric was consulted and I reckon he would have the last word. The way I have heard it asking around was that 'it was a toss up who played' that's a metaphorical coin toss. Eric was regarded like a god at the time and committee men were often voted in by how many pints they bought for the voters. Honest. Iam sure that he would have a say. If he wasn't in charge of selection he certainly decided who could do what. On his first training session he sent the ball back to the dressing room with the instruction 'NOBODY touches a ball until you are all fit, get out the skipping ropes' A great player and a great man.