Referees Inconsistent

At the start of the season when a player was dragged into touch the opposing side were penalised. Two recent games the refs. have chosen to ignore this ruling. Last week we saw a Bulls player dragged into touch, and again this week Huddersfield did exactly the same, but the ref again chose to ignore it.

I can forgive the rule being broken when a player is caught being tackled when off the ground, has it can be difficult to watch if the ball is being caught properly, while also looking to see if the players feet are on or off the ground. I really believe the refs who are guilty of ignoring the dragging rule should be chastised for it.

The problem is whether the drag into touch is before or after the tackle could be deemed complete.

Also if the tackler was obviously going to use the touchline, that has to be in mind....

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

At the start of the season when a player was dragged into touch the opposing side were penalised. Two recent games the refs. have chosen to ignore this ruling. Last week we saw a Bulls player dragged into touch, and again this week Huddersfield did exactly the same, but the ref again chose to ignore it.

I can forgive the rule being broken when a player is caught being tackled when off the ground, has it can be difficult to watch if the ball is being caught properly, while also looking to see if the players feet are on or off the ground. I really believe the refs who are guilty of ignoring the dragging rule should be chastised for it.

They perform to instructions from those who might chastise them, so your wish will go unanswered. Neither the referees nor the controller change the rules, they wren't empowered to do that; the controller does amend interpretations through the course of the season however, and the referees implement that as instructed.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

They perform to instructions from those who might chastise them, so your wish will go unanswered. Neither the referees nor the controller change the rules, they wren't empowered to do that; the controller does amend interpretations through the course of the season however, and the referees implement that as instructed.

I'm sure you're correct. They certanly alter the 'interpretations' very quickly too, Ive seen different one's given in each half of the same match on occasions. :P

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Its about time this rule was changed back to how it was before, if players can get i guy into touch then thats a good skill and shows good defensive commitment and fitness levels, the rule at the moment is interpreted differently every week and it makes us look a bit stupid, as long as the guy is not lifted wrongly (beyond the horizontal) and he doesn't have his head ripped off in the process.

I suspect their will be a U - turn on this for the start of next season.

Its about time this rule was changed back to how it was before, if players can get i guy into touch then thats a good skill and shows good defensive commitment and fitness levels, the rule at the moment is interpreted differently every week and it makes us look a bit stupid, as long as the guy is not lifted wrongly (beyond the horizontal) and he doesn't have his head ripped off in the process.

I tend to go along with that. If the tacklers keep the ball carrier moving, don't lift the feet, then it should be OK. I think the problem has been when they are dragged a fair way and the attacking side side start to push back and it becomes a bit messy. There is no reason why the ref can't just call held when this happens though.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

I agree. I think it is a skill staying in the field when you are close to the line, just as it is a defence getting someone in touch. We shouldn't remove any of these exciting defensive plays IMHO.

The way it actually used to be previously was that as soon as another player from the attacking side joined the tackle the ref would call held. for some reason that was withdrawn and now, at times, we have something approaching a maul, which I personally don't like.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.