Castleford hit with pretty big fine

the bottom line is if some imbeciles decide to chant then there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

The stewards should have started to kick people out or point them out to the police, plenty Cas could have done and didn't, the benchmark has now been set by the RFL, same should apply for all clubs who do sod all during and after games.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your missing my point here, I never said I had a problem with Thomas' sexuality, or any other player for that matter. My points were:

1. People should not be surprised or shocked that these chants go on. I have had racist remarks at many rugby grounds both amateur and professional.

2. Thomas has yet to prove himself in rugby LEAGUE

3. Some of the so called bigger clubs wouldnt have been dealt such severe penalties

1. It shouldn't happen. We're well into the 21st century where racist and homophobic abuse is surely about as socially acceptable as drink driving. Clubs that do nothing about it beyond giving ground staff a meaningless chat on diversity have no grounds for complaint when they get hit with fines.

2. Absolutely irrelevant. Would it be acceptable to racially abuse an asian kid straight out of a club's academy? When does the abuse stop then?

3. I bet they would.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

As long as they are heterosexual?

not at all I believe all players regardless of race, sexuality or background should get the same opportunities. I never said i agreed with the abuse Thomas was getting. I merely said it was hardly something to be shocked about and that the fine was harsh.

My point exactly Roberts was a star player Thomas is garbage. Ian Roberts was a bit before my time but I have seen some footage. Played Origin and Kangaroos and proved himself to be an extremely tough competitior. Roberts earned the respect of his peers and the fans. Thomas has done nothing to warrant such respect so can hardly complain at the abuse he is receiving.

Thomas has pulled on a shirt and taken the field. That alone gets my respect.

Beyond that, he has changed codes and put his reputation on the line. That, too, deserves respect.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1. It shouldn't happen. We're well into the 21st century where racist and homophobic abuse is surely about as socially acceptable as drink driving. Clubs that do nothing about it beyond giving ground staff a meaningless chat on diversity have no grounds for complaint when they get hit with fines.

2. Absolutely irrelevant. Would it be acceptable to racially abuse an asian kid straight out of a club's academy? When does the abuse stop then?

3. I bet they would.

I never said it was acceptable just that these things go on and people shouldnt be shocked

not at all I believe all players regardless of race, sexuality or background should get the same opportunities. I never said i agreed with the abuse Thomas was getting. I merely said it was hardly something to be shocked about and that the fine was harsh.

Nonsense. If you read some of your comments on this thread, then you'll see that you've been pretty abusive yourself.

So he says - "You're not a real fishmonger, you've just done a plop in the wrong lavatory..."

come on john lock this thread and get rid of this clown........................

Sometimes it's good to let these threads run as it allows the wider world to see the contempt that we have for our idiots.

I'd be concerned if his comments went unchallenged but the overwhelming consensus is that he's wildly off the general rugby league track when it comes to his standards and stance on this issue.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Sometimes it's good to let these threads run as it allows the wider world to see the contempt that we have for our idiots.

I'd be concerned if his comments went unchallenged but the overwhelming consensus is that he's wildly off the general rugby league track when it comes to his standards and stance on this issue.

here here haven't seen a good lynching for a while...............christ help GT if he was black as well as gay with these neanderthals about.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Racism and homophobia is rife, especially in the amateur game. I do NOT agree with this but as it does go on people should not act so shocked, and how on earth are clubs meant to single out the offenders when there are hundreds of them chanting. i feel there was nothing more the Castleford club could have done and as such the fine was unfair end of story. I also resent being unable to voice my opinions without been referred to as an idiot and a neanderthal

here here haven't seen a good lynching for a while...............christ help GT if he was black as well as gay with these neanderthals about.

It's bad enough that he's a Welch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There are few things in life which shock me, from murder, rape, mugings, down the scale to braindead chanting. The fact that I'm not shocked doesn't make any of them acceptable though; whether the victims are rugby stars or not. And it's certainly not wrong to point this out.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Racism and homophobia is rife, especially in the amateur game. I do NOT agree with this but as it does go on people should not act so shocked, and how on earth are clubs meant to single out the offenders when there are hundreds of them chanting. i feel there was nothing more the Castleford club could have done and as such the fine was unfair end of story. I also resent being unable to voice my opinions without been referred to as an idiot and a neanderthal

Some of the comments you have made on this thread contradict the above statement and to be honest they are IDIOTIC and NEANDERTHAL.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Some of the comments you have made on this thread contradict the above statement and to be honest they are IDIOTIC and NEANDERTHAL.

I have explained my comments and if you still cant uunderstand then surely you are the idiot. This will be my last post on this thread so dont bother replying.

Think the fine is over the top. And where do you draw the line between calling Homophobic chants and making fun of somebodies Natural hair colour, where they were born (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Australia etc)? Why is abusing officials seemingly OK and accepted by the RFL and certain players not? Just how far do Cas or any club go to stop a chant by a SMALL section of people before they do not get a fine? I cant see Cas being the only place Thomas got grief.

How many people have been murdered for being red headed exactly? I agree its difficult for a club but what effort was made to expel people on the day? Personally though i dont thnk taking money from a club is the answer, but it makes the rfl look tough i s'pose.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

By pure co-incidence, Gareth Thomas is interviewed by Jamie Jones-Buchanan in the new issue of Rugby League World on sale Friday 2nd July. It is well worth reading. Not only for Gareth's totally positive opinions about Rugby League and why he chose to take on the challenge of playing League so late in his career, which makes up the bulk of the feature, but also for his frank conversation with Jamie on the subject of homophobic abuse and his view on how the RFL deal with it. Jamie also has some interesting comments to make on the subject of racism in Rugby League.

How many people have been murdered for being red headed exactly?

We're too double-'ard to be taken down by non carrot tops.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

absoulutely ridiculous, what happened to freedom of speech, seriously what does Gareth Thomas expect if hes gonna come out publicly. disgracefully decision. im sure the punishment wouldnt have been as severe if it had been Wigan or Leeds fans.

You sir are a idiot.

absoulutely ridiculous, what happened to freedom of speech, seriously what does Gareth Thomas expect if hes gonna come out publicly. disgracefully decision. im sure the punishment wouldnt have been as severe if it had been Wigan or Leeds fans.

i dont think you would have heard leeds fan chanting much about anything the other week against the crusaders -_- .

theres no room for this ###### in our game and given the toughness of the guy you have to wonder how many of those brave cas fans would have mentioned anything to him face to face.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

sorry but who here has acted shocked.. disgusted yes but that different.. and cas are getting fined for that not the shock value but the fact it is not acceptable..

castlefrd are being fined becuase how else do you send a message to everyone thats this is unacceptable.. if these "fans" hve any feeling for the club they purport to support then they should realise thy have cost them 40k and realise tht if they do it again the fine will be higher and so hopefully stopping them..

of course it may also kick cas into banning thm from the ground etc (done in football) for such disgusting chanting.

by the way your being referred to as you are because of:

seriously what does Gareth Thomas expect if hes gonna come out publicly
justifying homophobic chanting with the "what does he expect" line.. this is exactly why people like justin fashanu killed himself ffs

RL is a mans sport at the end of the day. Not for public schooled pansies like RU.
ta.. as a "public school pansy" you can get stuffed.. RL i thought was a sport for everyone and proud of it.. lovely

Thomas' presence is detracting from the tough image the game has developed
nuff siad before

Thomas has done nothing to warrant such respect so can hardly complain at the abuse he is receiving.
abuse about being rubbish is one thing.. about being gay is as irrelvant as being black, pink, ginger or anything else.

that is why you are a neanderthal (the first "what does he expect" line is about as old as the neanderthal era) and an idiot...

your are a blight on RL IMHO, Gareth Thomas is something for RL to be proud about, attracting an openly homosexual player to a sport like ours shows how tolerant it is.. and someone held in such esteem by the RU public in Wales is a massive coup for that sport.. to see comments like "what does he expect", "he has done nothing to warrant such respect so can hardly complain at the abuse" shows the idiocy..

and now

I have explained my comments and if you still cant uunderstand then surely you are the idiot. This will be my last post on this thread so dont bother replying.

you've obviously realised your a chump and you cannot squirm out of it so are running for cover..

Am i the only one that can see Thomas' presence is detracting from the tough image the game has developed?

Let me set this out for you quite clearly.

Gareth Thomas is gay.

gingerjon is all man and straight.

Only one of the above is tough enough to play rugby and it isn't the straight guy.

It's not bloody Alan Carr running onto the pitch.

Right my thoughts......

To the idiots who have now cost us a half decent players wages in fines - Thanks a bunch, you morons

If we are being fined for not taking the right action after the event then fine, I acept that as it did seem to be somewhat brushed under the carpet. AsI say, if that is why we were fined then let's keep the comments about that for this thread.

If we start getting into the bahviour of the Cas fans and their chanting then I'm sorry, while it is not condoned, this behaviour happens at every single RL ground in the country - Warringto v Leeds "The Referee's a w*nker" was clearly audible for the whole TV audience to hear - if Wire don;t do enough to stop this will they be fined.

As for Bulliac picking out the Cas chants from Sunday - I can only shake my head, laugh and think about throwing stones in glass house.

All in all a sad day for the club but I feel it's a little over the top

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Right my thoughts......

To the idiots who have now cost us a half decent players wages in fines - Thanks a bunch, you morons

If we are being fined for not taking the right action after the event then fine, I acept that as it did seem to be somewhat brushed under the carpet. AsI say, if that is why we were fined then let's keep the comments about that for this thread.

If we start getting into the bahviour of the Cas fans and their chanting then I'm sorry, while it is not condoned, this behaviour happens at every single RL ground in the country - Warringto v Leeds "The Referee's a w*nker" was clearly audible for the whole TV audience to hear - if Wire don;t do enough to stop this will they be fined.

As for Bulliac picking out the Cas chants from Sunday - I can only shake my head, laugh and think about throwing stones in glass house.

All in all a sad day for the club but I feel it's a little over the top

Having read what the RFL have said, I honestly don't think it's the morons (deplorable though their actions were) who've cost your club 40K. It's the club's failure to react properly to the situation which has led to the fine.

Warrington used to get a little stick for making various announcements before and during the game about the HJ being a community stadium etc. This was usually followed by the away following singing 'W*nky W*nky'. Whilst this didn't necessarily stop all foul chanting, it did absolutely send out the message that the club does not accept it.

Compare this to Saints, who had a fair few comments about Sky turning the volume down on their fans foul chants, and you heard nothing from their club.

That said, foul language is different to homophobic or racist chanting, and whilst foul language can be offensive, I don't believe 'W*nkers' are an often oppressed or victimised group of people.

Did you read the article before typing? It's the club's inadequete response and efforts to stop the chanting that were punished.

Yes I did, particularly this bit....

But the charges against the club are not that there was chanting, they are that the club failed to take its' best endeavours to prevent or stop any chanting.

So tell me how a club prevents chanting other than gagging the fans as they come into the ground ? They can stop it after it's started and take actions against offenders but they can not actually prevent it from happening in the first place. Something has to happen in order for them to do anything about it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally