Castleford hit with pretty big fine

Richard Gay.

;)

Going back to a game vs Castleford at Odsal in 1999 Mr Gay scored two fabulous tries to put Castleford 18-4 up in what was for me his definitive game. Unlucky for him he ended up on the losing side as Spruce and Mcavoy stole it at the death 24-22.

Good game.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence the wink.

Not playing the game, just a nice coincedence.

ffs man learn to spell........................come to lancashire, we are all very literate over here.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Going back to a game vs Castleford at Odsal in 1999 Mr Gay scored two fabulous tries to put Castleford 18-4 up in what was for me his definitive game. Unlucky for him he ended up on the losing side as Spruce and Mcavoy stole it at the death 24-22.

Good game.

ah sprogger the greatest widnes fan of all time, couldn't wait to come home when we were promoted (from the horses mouth).

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

What, you don't know who your fathers are? :P

unfortunately my dad is from laisterdyke in bradord.....................the black spot on my life.

unfortunately my dad is from laisterdyke in bradord.....................the black spot on my life.

Nothing wrong with being born in Bradford :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with being born in Bradford :ph34r:

when your offspring is a devout lancastrian there is.........junior county cricket and rl player to boot....................

I'd put l'ang on ignore if you're going through everyone's posts with a red pen. :rolleyes:

leave angie out of this...................he's not on line

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean. I'm not exonerating anyone or saying the clubs have no responsibility in these matters.

Of course clubs can take proactive action such as warning people what will happen if they do chant offensive stuff, as I said on page 1 of this thread, but they simply can not physically prevent someone from doing so beforehand. Clubs must do all they can to stop it happening, but they can only do so much and ultimately the only people who can stop it are the fans themselves. Clubs can remind fans every 30 seconds about it but if one idiot decides to shout something offensive then I really don't see what any club could do to prevent the actions of an individual(s) who decides to ignore all of the requests and warnings not to do so. The only really tangible thing that clubs can do is identify the culprits and make sure they are banned for life, and they must be obligated to do so, but again that is different to prevention.

So doesn't this go back to the point about whether you have read the reason why they have been done?

They haven't been done because the fans shouted something vile, they have been done because of their shoddy response to it.

The tribunal was chaired by his Honour Judge Rodney Grant, who criticised the club for failing to take steps to stop the homophobic chanting, for failing to identify the perpetrators, for failing to challenge the chanting and for their failure to undertake a meaningful inquiry afterwards

So they were criticised for failing to take steps to stop it (did they make an announcement there and then? did the stewards act on this?).

They have been criticised for failing to identify the perpetrators (it is very common for fans to be highlighted now by either CCTV, public appeals, strong stewarding etc.)/

They have been criticised for failing to challenge the chanting (linked to point 1)

They have been criticised for not undertaking a meaningful inquiry.

They haven't simply been done because their fans chanted some stuff, it was their inadequacy to deal with the issue. Had they proven they had dealt with this strongly, I suspect no more than a suspended sentence, although that is only my opinion.

You are focusing on the fact that they couldn't prevent this happening, yet most of the criticism from the Judge is aimed at Cas' responseonce it did happen.

Edited by Dave T

In an ideal world we should have dignity and respect for mankind (personkind to be PC)

What we have here on this thread is people's views and opinions.

Rightly or wrongly it is down to an individual(s) whether they can tolorate this behaviour or not. ie Ignore.

some will laugh it off, others will blow the roof off, others will report it or others will kick out.

for me there is no way another human should be subjected to any "abuse" but it happens, so as individuals we have to make a decision.

Tolorate (no way should we have to IMHO)

Or Monitor the situation (how can we defuse, discuss, manage it)

we live in a cruel cruel world with many different views / beliefs / opinions

MODS

Lock this thread FFS, somebody is going to say something they might regret.

Paul, with all due respect there is no reason to lock the thread. Not every thread can be about the nice things in RL. This is very relevant, and will probably get much more press than anything else happening in league for the next few weeks, so we should be able to debate it.

Paul, with all due respect there is no reason to lock the thread. Not every thread can be about the nice things in RL. This is very relevant, and will probably get much more press than anything else happening in league for the next few weeks, so we should be able to debate it.

Yes fair comment, now there is no sign of BringBacktheBiff

He is omnipresent.

If only you'd said omnipotent I'd have been able to respond with a merry secondhand quip.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If only you'd said omnipotent I'd have been able to respond with a merry secondhand quip.

It was my first choice. I was that close to putting it.

Edit: and my back of the net effort on your AOB thread obviously inspired you!

Edited by hindle xiii

You are focusing on the fact that they couldn't prevent this happening, yet most of the criticism from the Judge is aimed at Cas' responseonce it did happen.

Regardless of what the judge criticised them for, the initial charge was of not preventing it. I am not arguing about what they could or couldn't have done during or after the chanting, just that it is stupid to charge any club with not being able to prevent it in the first place. Because the fact is that no club can prevent it, only warn against it and take action once something does happen.

Preventing it and failing to deal with it are two entirely separate and different things.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

He is omnipresent.

(Spell-checked.)

my kids think I amm at Christmas

dyegerrit?

for the record my spelling is ok. I'm just #### with a keyboard. I'm a fountain pen kinda guy :P

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Regardless of what the judge criticised them for, the initial charge was of not preventing it. I am not arguing about what they could or couldn't have done during or after the chanting, just that it is stupid to charge any club with not being able to prevent it in the first place. Because the fact is that no club can prevent it, only warn against it and take action once something does happen.

Preventing it and failing to deal with it are two entirely separate and different things.

From the RFL website:

Castleford were found guilty of unacceptable behaviour, of breaching the RFL

From the report on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...ord/8772418.stm

the charges against the club were not that there was chanting, they were that the club failed to take its best endeavours to prevent or stop any chanting

Cheers, however that is just Richard Wright's wording rather than any official judgement. They are expected to receive the judgement by the end of the week, and that certainly isn't how the RFL have worded it in their official press release.

Quite disappointed with the attitude of some of the Cas fans on the other site. The vast majority are refusing to blame the fans, and aiming their anger at the RFL with a couple at Gareth Thomas.

I can genuinely say that if Wire got done for this kind of thing, I would be angry firstly with the dickheads who chanted, and secondly to the club for not doing all they could to resolve the issue.