Castleford hit with pretty big fine

In terms of the fine I think Cas would we well advised to register their protestations and then take the punishment. This is their second trip to the disciplinary and they need to start mending fences.

On the broader view, I think Cas should kick this back over the fence and invite The RFL down to inspect their policies and suggest improvements. Obviously, once this is done then a field trip to other SL clubs to view their policies in action would be valuable.

I suspect that most other SL clubs would be having a 'there but for the Grace of God go I' moment about this one. The only SL clubs I have come across without a minority of numpties who get in to this sort of thing are the clubs with too few fans to form a minority.

Thomas may not be the best player to play RL but he is most welcome and certainly does not check in his basic human rights when he crosses the white line on game day.

The RFL ought to take the issue of abusive language toward officials more seriously. The playing of the taped message does little more than establish a basis for ejecting offenders and people need to see some ejections now to bring the point across.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, however that is just Richard Wright's wording rather than any official judgement. They are expected to receive the judgement by the end of the week, and that certainly isn't how the RFL have worded it in their official press release.

Quite disappointed with the attitude of some of the Cas fans on the other site. The vast majority are refusing to blame the fans, and aiming their anger at the RFL with a couple at Gareth Thomas.

I can genuinely say that if Wire got done for this kind of thing, I would be angry firstly with the dickheads who chanted, and secondly to the club for not doing all they could to resolve the issue.

Seems I'm in the minority on that site - I'm in agreement with you Dave

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Cheers, however that is just Richard Wright's wording rather than any official judgement. They are expected to receive the judgement by the end of the week, and that certainly isn't how the RFL have worded it in their official press release.

Quite disappointed with the attitude of some of the Cas fans on the other site. The vast majority are refusing to blame the fans, and aiming their anger at the RFL with a couple at Gareth Thomas.

I can genuinely say that if Wire got done for this kind of thing, I would be angry firstly with the dickheads who chanted, and secondly to the club for not doing all they could to resolve the issue.

It's actually their lawyer's comments, not Richard Wright. You'd think their lawyer knew the charges he was defending them against ?

As for your comments about if it happened at Warrington, what would your views be if the club did all that it considered that it reasonably could and the chanting still happened anyway ?

The fans who chanted are to blame, not the club. It's as simple as that.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

At the end of the day I go to the game to watch the game,not abuse the refs(who 99% of the time get the decisions right anyway),an opposition fan,player,or player of my own team. I am a great believer in "if you wouldn't say it to them face to face,then don't say it about them to others on internet/radio/telephone/in writing",etc. So I challenge any cas fans with a genuine greivance against thomas playing RL and being gay to air that grievance 1 on 1,face to face.

Let me know when you have done it and I will personally telephone your dentist and make the appointment you will duly require. :D

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

No im still here, iv explained my comments so dont feel the need to further justify to those of you too stupid to see my point

Sorry mate, get back under your rock. Your comments were way way off line. You could have tried an apology, but no. Anyone who fails to believe your "justification" for your outrageous comments is "stupid". Total male genitals.

It's actually their lawyer's comments, not Richard Wright. You'd think their lawyer knew the charges he was defending them against ?

As for your comments about if it happened at Warrington, what would your views be if the club did all that it considered that it reasonably could and the chanting still happened anyway ?

I think you're continuing to get entirely the wrong end of the stick, hence my initial post about "reading the thread". It seems clear from what's written that the fine is largely to do with how the whole thing was handled badly by Cas, but you're banging on about not being able to stop people chanting. That's simply not the point at all.

Yep, apologies I just skim read it.

The fact is the RFL press release doesn't seem to link in with Findlay's comments. Interestingly, in his release he says that the club did everything they could on the day, what about after the day and the inquiry that will have taken place.

As for the Warrington point, if the club had done everything then I would be annoyed, but the fact is that people are showing blind loyalty to the club. There was an inquiry, and if the guilty charge is wrong, then they will rightly win the appeal.

Was their an appeal for names after the incident? I have gone through the archives on the Cas site and can't even find the press release after the original incident now.

If they had done absolutely everything they could to firstly control the crowd, and secondly conduct a full inquiry, then the RFL could have easily given them a

it's a preposterously large fine, especially when compared to the sums handed out to other sports. however, we're either serious about combatting(sp?) this sort of stuff or we're not. personally i'd have said to Cas, make a donation to GT's chosen charity, minimum

foxes or poor people?

It's not bloody Alan Carr running onto the pitch.

Apparently, Alan Carr's dad was the manager of Northampton Town, and was 'disappointed' at his son's chosen career path.

So he says in his act.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

it's a preposterously large fine, especially when compared to the sums handed out to other sports. however, we're either serious about combatting(sp?) this sort of stuff or we're not. personally i'd have said to Cas, make a donation to GT's chosen charity, minimum

No im still here, iv explained my comments so dont feel the need to further justify to those of you too stupid to see my point

I see your point,but I dont agree with it at all, basically it comes across as them gay homosexuals shouldnt be playing our manly rugby game, which is damaging for our sport, thank God it was only 50 maximum of a 4000 (??) crowd.

Cummins Out.

and your too bigoted to see anyone elses

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

From the report on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...ord/8772418.stm

the charges against the club were not that there was chanting, they were that the club failed to take its best endeavours to prevent or stop any chanting

you highlighted prevent.. and ignored "or stop" which was the other part of the judgment..

you highlighted prevent.. and ignored "or stop" which was the other part of the judgment..

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been charged with failing to stop it, just that failing to prevent it is a nonsense charge.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been charged with failing to stop it, just that failing to prevent it is a nonsense charge.
Again, you are ignoring other words around the word prevent.

It says 'best endeavours to prevent'. Did they make an announcement before the game. Do they do that at every game so that it becomes engrained? Do they have the Respect policy in the matchday programme?

Personally I would suspect that they would have these things in place, especailly after the issues last year, but the Judge and RFL clearly feel that they didn't do enough. I'm sure recommendations will be made, and that will be interesting.

but it was only part of the charge and if they didnt do the bits that the RFL tell them they should to help prevent it (no matter how small and stupid they may think it is) then they open themselves up for this kind of thing.. if they had done everything they could ad this happened then the RFL would have a "we did everything you asked us to but it was usless" argument thrown at them.. they didnt by the sounds of things so tough..

then the rest of the charge was stopping it..

but also they have failed to prevent another onehappening by not following up on this one properly..

but it was only part of the charge and if they didnt do the bits that the RFL tell them they should to help prevent it (no matter how small and stupid they may think it is) then they open themselves up for this kind of thing.. if they had done everything they could ad this happened then the RFL would have a "we did everything you asked us to but it was usless" argument thrown at them.. they didnt by the sounds of things so tough..

I suspect that Castleford probably do as much as any other club to prevent it - tannoy announcements, warnings in the match programme etc. I have not seen any club do anything other than those kind of things.

The point is that if what they do is not enough then virtually every club is guilty of not doing enough to prevent it under this judgement.

It has implications for all clubs, not just Castleford.

If I'm honest, I haven't got a clue whether
Edited by Stew R

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

I suspect that Castleford probably do as much as any other club to prevent it - tannoy announcements, warnings in the match programme etc. I have not seen any club do anything other than those kind of things.

The point is that if what they do is not enough then virtually every club is guilty of not doing enough to prevent it under this judgement.

It has implications for all clubs, not just Castleford.

as i say if they had done everything asked of them and it was not enough then they have the defence and the RFL would have to look at itself and what it asks clubs to do.. had they done everything asked of them that day or had someone forgotten/not been bothered.. that is what the investigation would be asking and it sound as though maybe they didnt.. if other clubs dont do it then they are liable for th same if the same happens so i would suggest they start going by the letter ofthe rfl..

also they failed to invesitgate poperly afterwards etc.. they failed on a lot of fronts by the sound of the judgment.