Leeds resign 7

Rhinos sign up squad for 2011

Engage Super League Champions Leeds Rhinos have received a major boost ahead of their massive clash with rivals St Helens this Saturday at Headingley Carnegie with the news that all their out of contract players have agreed extensions for next season.

Keith Senior, Kylie Leuluai, Scott Donald, Matt Diskin, Danny Buderus, Ali Lauitiiti and Ryan Bailey were all due out of contract at the end of the current campaign but have now put pen to paper on new deals.

Commenting on the announcement Chief Executive Gary Hetherington said,

Edited by Northern Exposure
PHOTO_6267313_7691_3768222_ap_320X240.jpg

some cracking young lads there

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Keith Senior, Kylie Leuluai, Scott Donald, Matt Diskin, Danny Buderus, Ali Lauitiiti and Ryan Bailey.

Hmm.... I can see why most of them have got extensions apart from Senior and Buderus. Senior is on his last legs, how old is he now? This wont do the development of the likes of Watkins much good will it?

And Buderus has looked like a shadow of the player he was in the NRL. Diskin should be given the starting spot.

Funny you should say that

Rhinos sign up the next generation

Engage Super League Champions Leeds Rhinos have announced the signing of ten young players to join the club for next season.

The Rhinos are recognised as having the best academy system in the game having produced the likes of Rob Burrow, Danny McGuire and Kevin Sinfield. The current crop of players have been coached by another successful Academy graduate in four times Champion Jamie Jones-Buchanan and will now take the next step on their professional career.

The group of ten includes one of the best young stars in the country in stand off Stevie Ward, who this season won the Inaugural John Holmes Trophy as the best schoolboy player in the Leeds & Hunslet Schools district. The ten players come from eight different amateur clubs showing the strength of the junior game at present. Ward is joined by Hunslet Warriors team mate Josh Sunley, who is a fullback or wing.

Wetherby Bulldogs provide two players in hard hitting forward Ben Finder, a current England Youth international and back row Alex Foster, who earned a contract with some strong performances for the Rhinos U16 side.

As usual Hunslet Parkside has once again produced a player for the Rhinos with skilful stand off Marcus Elliot showing his ability with ball in hand and with the boot during the recent U16 season. Two other strong amateur clubs in the area have also contributed to the next generation. Drighlington, who produced England star Lee Smith in previous years, provide prop Matty Blake, who will be looking to build on a strong season with the Under 16s, whilst East Leeds, the former home of current Rhinos star Danny McGuire, have developed Gerry-Lee Pierre, a strong running winger. Finally, from the Leeds area is another exciting winger in James Duckworth from Whinmoor Warriors who was one of the most prolific try scorers of the Scholarship competition.

Two players have joined the club from further afield. Head of Youth Development Barrie McDermott has returned to his old amateur club, and the side who originally produced Kevin Sinfield, by signing Jack Cooke from Waterhead. The lightening fast centre was previously on the Wigan scholarship but will now make the move across the Pennines. Whilst workaholic loose forward Ryan Bradbury will join from Oldham St Annes to complete the line up.

Commenting on the new recruits McDermott said, "Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Pete Clarkson and the other Under 16 coaches and staff have done a tremendous job with this group of players and each of the guys have earned their place in the Rhinos Academy. We have a proud record of developing young players, not just for Leeds but for a career in professional rugby. We develop our young people in the right way, both on and off the pitch, and these ten are the fortunate few who will get the chance to show that they deserve the chance to pull on the blue and amber jersey.

"This is just the next step, they now have the opportunity work hard and impress their coaches to take their career on the next level. At the Rhinos will we will give them every support necessary but the key ingredient is their dedication and commitment to succeed. They will follow in the footsteps of most of the first team here at the Rhinos and that is a great motivation for these young men. They know that here at Leeds if you are good enough you will get your opportunity and I am excited for all of them as they embark on their professional career.

"On behalf of the club, we must say a massive thank you to all the amateur coaches and administrators who put in hours of work to help encourage these players and give them their first taste of the game. Without their dedication there would be no game and we are indebted to them, the Leeds area in particular is the envy of most Rugby League districts with such a positive relationship with the Rhinos Sam Horner, our Community coach liaison officer, who works tirelessly with all our amateur clubs" added McDermott.

when all 10 are in the first team in 5 years come back. don't be going down the wigan route, 'look we've signed a gazillion wigan youngsters, aren't we great...' only to let them sign for huddersfield.

foxes or poor people?

Keith Senior, Kylie Leuluai, Scott Donald, Matt Diskin, Danny Buderus, Ali Lauitiiti and Ryan Bailey.

Hmm.... I can see why most of them have got extensions apart from Senior and Buderus. Senior is on his last legs, how old is he now? This wont do the development of the likes of Watkins much good will it?

And Buderus has looked like a shadow of the player he was in the NRL. Diskin should be given the starting spot.

Senior cut your 'supermen' to ribbons on more than one occasion on Sunday.

As for Buderus - only a fool like you would doubt how well he's been playing.

I suspect its time for you to get back to watching Tracy Beaker and reading The Dandy

when all 10 are in the first team in 5 years come back. don't be going down the wigan route, 'look we've signed a gazillion wigan youngsters, aren't we great...' only to let them sign for huddersfield.

or in Warrington's case, let them sign for Widnes and ship in a load of NRL players

Senior cut your 'supermen' to ribbons on more than one occasion on Sunday.

As for Buderus - only a fool like you would doubt how well he's been playing.

I suspect its time for you to get back to watching Tracy Beaker and reading The Dandy

Hardly. Mathers is far from a superman.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bloody hell, take off those rose coloured Wire specs and watch the rest of superleague. I think you will find

while Danny Buderus is not the NRL player he once was, he is still the best hooker in superleague by a country mile ! Ask Monaghan who he played off the park on Sunday !!

As for Senior he too is still one of superleagues best centres and can move into the second row if required. The reason Kalum Watkins is not playing is because he has a season long injury and Leeds feel extending Seniors contact will not put him under pressure to come back too soon next year. The same applies with Webb and Ben Jones Bishop. Keeping a squad together as long as possible works, if you dont swop and change too much each season. Three consecutive grand final wins proves that, Leeds dont give long term contacts to older players which gives them a saftey net and flexibility going forward which is a smart move.

Keith Senior, Kylie Leuluai, Scott Donald, Matt Diskin, Danny Buderus, Ali Lauitiiti and Ryan Bailey were all due out of contract at the end of the current campaign but have now put pen to paper on new deals.

I like the first 5, the last two I don't think add to the Leeds side. I think this will be Bailey and Lauiti'iti's last contract, Ryan just isn't good enough at the moment and really needs to prove he's not a liability while Ali will probably run his course. Am I right in thinking he's now qualified and gained UK citizenship? Still shouldn't be enough though after 2011.

As a neutral in this, I have to say you are talking complete ######!

Both Senior and Buderus are playing very well. If Leeds think that Senior is still their best centre (and he is) then fair enough, sign him. Buderus controlled sundays game very well, and while he is not quite the player he was 5 years ago, he still had enough to play MM off the park.

Edited by Brigg Rover

They've all signed 1 yr extensions I beleive. No qualms with that but Bailey is very lucky.

"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nk*rs"

Laurie Dailey

As a neutral in this, I have to say you are talking complete ######!

Both Senior and Buderus are playing very well. If Leeds think that Senior is still their best centre (and he is) then fair enough, sign him. Buderus controlled sundays game very well, and while he is not quite the player he was 5 years ago, he still had enough to play MM off the park.

Agree on both points.

Senior went straight thru the middle of us, bad defence, but he didn't have much joy against bridge out wide (3 games running)

Buderus is a class class act, rate him highly (MM wasn't at his best)

He is but he

FOXY.jpg