grounds used for professional league

You obviously haven't read the book! ;)

How about Broughton Rangers, St Helens Recs, Liversedge, Heckmondwike, Streatham & Mitcham, Pontefract, Morecambe, Stockport, Leeds Parish Church etc?

I have read the book and it has pride of place on one of my bookshelves. it was published in 1991 and of the 130 plus grounds we have listed over 100 have been used since.

Clubs obviously moved around in the early days and the total from say 1895 to 1914 would be substantial but only of interest to the historian. I started by using 1980 as the time I first saw a game and the time when new clubs started to appear and the rate of ground change sped up.

Fulham/Quins/ London are on 12 in 30 years and I have missed both Griffin park and Harlequins from the list and Sheffield are not find behind. I also need to add the Stoop to the total. In the period 1950 to 1980 only Liverpool. Huyton probably used more than 2 to 3

....also, Bramley played at the Barley Mow and McLaren Field, which weren't one and the same despite what some may believe.

Hunslet played at Mount Pleasant for a season, as did Dewsbury for at least two seasons.

If I remember correctly, McLaren Field was built on the training ground at the back of the Barley Mow. Also they played a couple of seasons at Headingley and maybe one at Leeds RU ground - perhaps if Cliff Spracklen's lurking around here he could confirm this. Oh, and Maidsone's ground was London Road (demolished now).

If I remember correctly, McLaren Field was built on the training ground at the back of the Barley Mow. Also they played a couple of seasons at Headingley and maybe one at Leeds RU ground - perhaps if Cliff Spracklen's lurking around here he could confirm this. Oh, and Maidsone's ground was London Road (demolished now).

McLaren Field was a swift sideways next to the Barley Mow. The historic Barley Mow pub which held the coriginal changing rooms is still there, now adorned on the outside with the Blue Plaque, commemorating the first ever tour game in the UK in 1907.

Bramley did play initially at Clarence Field , Kirkstall, which had been the ground for headingley RUFC. This is where the Leeds Rugby training centre now is located.

After that they moved in the late 1990's to Headingley where they were effectively Leeds Rhinos second team, the previous directors having sold McLaren Field for housing much earlier, before then selling a majority shareholding to a shareholder connected to a Super League club. The club was then closed suddenly in 1999, before a brand new fans owned club was created in 2000.

Ive seen...

Oldham v Fev at Maine Road (1987)

I don't remember Fev playing Oldham at Maine Road in 1987. I remember them playing Oldham at Old Trafford in 1988. They played their home league game in 1988 at P O Road and the away game a week later at Watersheddings.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Gateshead Thunders home games have been played at:

Gateshead Stadium

Kingston Park

Darlington FC

Percy Park RFC

Gateshead Fell RFC

Monkton Stadium (Jarrow)

Tynecastle (Edinburgh)

Also Hilton Park (Leigh), we couldnt get our stadium so just played the fixture at Leigh, it wasnt a reversal as the away game was there too.

so what have we got so far.

To my original list I overlooked

Darlington even though I was at the game;

Boothferry Park

Salford Fc, Moor Lane

Thrum Hall

Maine Road

Elland Road

Workington FC

When was Elland Road dog track used?

Any confirmation on Reading, was this the Madjeski or the old ground Elm Park

Did South Wales use Ebbw Vale

Thats over 130 now and I bet there are still more to come.

Most of these post date the grounds of rugby league book rather than predate it.

There seem to be few football league grounds not used in the heartlands, Burnley, Everton and Tranmere plus Accrington on the fringes are all in Lancashire. What about Stockport? everyone in Yorkshire ( unless you count Middlesbrough which would be a thread of it's own) has staged games

The Madejski was used for a World Cup game involving New Zealand in last WC played in UK. The Paul brothers appeared at a Reading football game to help promote it by performing their single !

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

I don't remember Fev playing Oldham at Maine Road in 1987. I remember them playing Oldham at Old Trafford in 1988. They played their home league game in 1988 at P O Road and the away game a week later at Watersheddings.

January 1987, Oldham switched their home game against us to Man City's ground. You're talking about the following season.

January 1987, Oldham switched their home game against us to Man City's ground. You're talking about the following season.

Ah. I knew that both League fixtures in the 87/88 season were in '88, because a. I went to both and b. I've a video of the Watersheddings game. I also went to Old Trafford. I must admit I don't remember the Maine Road game. Both Oldham and Fev must have been relegated that season, even though I remember Oldham knocking Wigan out of the cup in the snow.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Apologies if its already been stated but there was a GB game at Blackburn.

There've been GB games at the Reebok too, and Loftus Road, for that matter. There were also cup semi finals and JP semis and finals at the old Burnden Park. And of course the old Boothferry Park.

Didn't Wigan play Warrington at Green Bay Packers ground?

Edited by Trojan

Clement Attlee.

There've been GB games at the Reebok too, and Loftus Road, for that matter. There were also cup semi finals and JP semis and finals at the old Burnden Park. And of course the old Boothferry Park.

Didn't Wigan play Warrington at Green Bay Packers ground?

Have watched Keighley play one off's against the Crusaders at maesteg RUFC

Against Blackpool at Blackpool Mechanics FC

Can also remember watching Chorley tak on Villneuve in a Challenge Cup game at Preston Grasshoppers

Sheffield have played 'home' games at:

Don Valley Stadium

Owlerton Stadium

Bramall Lane

Hillsborough

Clifton Lane (Rotherham RU)

Tattersfield (Doncaster RLFC)

Saltergate (Chesterfield FC)

Oakwell (Barnsley FC)

Hillsborough Sports Arena (home of Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks, friendly match v South West Yorks amateurs)

Woodburn Road Athletics Stadium (reserve games/Youngers Alliance League matches)

Thrum Hall

Belle Vue (Wakefield)

Cardiff Arms Park (Super League 'on the road' game)

Sixfields Stadium, Northampton (Super League 'on the road' game)

The McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield (boo! etc)

Woodburn Road was used for a first team game against Workington, I think it was 2005.

Woodburn Road was used for a first team game against Workington, I think it was 2005.

Didn't know that - good skills!

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

There was the third match against NZ played at Vicarage Road, Gt Britain V NZ in November 1998, my son played in a curtian raiser to the game.

Yeah, I remember it now. Didn't it end in a draw and a tied series?

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

• 6 years later...

Goodson Park was used for an England-Australia international (not test match) in 1908.

On the subject of Trevor Delaney's fantastic book, there's an error in the Widnes entry. The current site was opened in 1895 for the third home game of inaugural NU season. Between 1884 and then they played on a different field 150yds up Lowerhouse Lane.

Edited by Steve Fox

On 30/06/2010 at 4:40 PM, saints10coach said:

Oldham also played Batley at Bloomfield Rd Blackpool.

i know i was there as Batley were losing by about 30 pts at halftime and turned it round in the 2nd half to win, it was what was called a game of 2 halves without a doubt or the tide turned at half time

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012