Heritage site?

1945etseq

I know 99% of this forum is about the present/future, but if we didn't have a past we wouldn't have a future. Have a look at "Saints Heritage Society" website. It's amazing. Should we have one?

Theres a certain member of these forums who shall remain nameless (im sure everyone knows who it is...) who has an extensive knowledge on the history of Featherstone, Mark Las Palmas also is the main oracle on this forum.

Cummins Out.

Theres a certain member of these forums who shall remain nameless (im sure everyone knows who it is...) who has an extensive knowledge on the history of Featherstone, Mark Las Palmas also is the main oracle on this forum.

Thanks Matt, but there's plenty of other posters who know plenty more than me mate. I do try to help out with questions & queries on here, that's all

I do have a lot of stats on the Rovers and the laborious process of converting them all to the computer is well underway. Takes ages.

Ive seen the Saints site and it's impressive, very thorough. It's not in a format I like, but that's a quibble.

I never knew Walt Tennant turned out for them in the war for example!

I was involved in a group that was going to standardise all RL statistics into compatible formats, but it's hard to put this kind of group together and the lead should come from the RFL. Soccer has the excellent Association of Football Statisticians, and RL needs something similar.

When I saw the thread title I thought the thread was going to be about Robin!

No Vic if it was about Robin the title would be "Large, obese, ginger, homocurious, humourless, lack of rugby knowledge, thinks he knows everything but knows sod all, Maggie loving Tory, Sun reader, prawn sandwich eater, friend of william hague and probably Closset cas fan"

No Vic if it was about Robin the title would be "Large, obese, ginger, homocurious, humourless, lack of rugby knowledge, thinks he knows everything but knows sod all, Maggie loving Tory, Sun reader, prawn sandwich eater, friend of william hague and probably Closset cas fan"

You forgot secret Sky subscriber ;)

The weak conform, the strong survive.

######! :lol:

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I believe that both Chris Westwood and Terry Jones should be creditted with the work being done with regards to the club's heritage and much (if not all) of the work and photos around the clubhouse are results of their hard work. I know Mark LP does a great service and keeps us all informed, but as I say we must also credit others who work so hard to bring our past to life.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

Thanks Matt, but there's plenty of other posters who know plenty more than me mate. I do try to help out with questions & queries on here, that's all

I do have a lot of stats on the Rovers and the laborious process of converting them all to the computer is well underway. Takes ages.

Ive seen the Saints site and it's impressive, very thorough. It's not in a format I like, but that's a quibble.

I never knew Walt Tennant turned out for them in the war for example!

I was involved in a group that was going to standardise all RL statistics into compatible formats, but it's hard to put this kind of group together and the lead should come from the RFL. Soccer has the excellent Association of Football Statisticians, and RL needs something similar.

Well that's news to me, i didnt know that my Uncle Walt turned out for Saints either, you learn something new everyday :D

Im Fev and im proud

Well that's news to me, i didnt know that my Uncle Walt turned out for Saints either, you learn something new everyday :D

He also jumped with both feet on Guest of Castleford after Guest had fouled him all the match at POR. The referee took one look at the prone Guest and waved play on. It was obvious that he thought that Guest had got his just desserts.

Surprised me too Maureen. I checked it out, and twas true. Obviously a lot of war-time guesting went on. at first I thought he might have been stationed over there in the army or some such thing. But the answer was simpler than that. St. Helens arrived at Fev with 12 players for a game in 1941 and we loaned them Walt to make the numbers up.

He also jumped with both feet on Guest of Castleford after Guest had fouled him all the match at POR. The referee took one look at the prone Guest and waved play on. It was obvious that he thought that Guest had got his just desserts.

Oddly enough Norman Guest of Cas actually guested for Fev* in a number of matches during WW2. He may have even played a few games alongside Walt.

* I know, Guest the guest. You couldn't make it up.

Oddly enough Norman Guest of Cas actually guested for Fev* in a number of matches during WW2. He may have even played a few games alongside Walt.

* I know, Guest the guest. You couldn't make it up.

no, but you could have guessed.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Norman Guest did play for Fev along side Walt for a few games. I remember a few of us having trepidations about it but it seemed to work. The last time I saw Guest was the train back from Barrow after a cup tie. Albany Longley played and quite a few thought Norman should have played. The Australian played for us in that game our first overseas player. As I am speaking from memory his name escapes me. Going back to Walt I remember Alan's first game after doing his National Service. He played left wing to Walt's left centre. Walt looked after him well as he was naturally nervous. Walt suffered from bad eyesight but was strong elusive and a hard tackler.

I believe that both Chris Westwood and Terry Jones should be creditted with the work being done with regards to the club's heritage and much (if not all) of the work and photos around the clubhouse are results of their hard work. I know Mark LP does a great service and keeps us all informed, but as I say we must also credit others who work so hard to bring our past to life.

Thanks Bob, couldnt remember his name, but I knew there was someone else at the club, he did a few books on Rovers didn't he? Good reads.

Cummins Out.

Surprised me too Maureen. I checked it out, and twas true. Obviously a lot of war-time guesting went on. at first I thought he might have been stationed over there in the army or some such thing. But the answer was simpler than that. St. Helens arrived at Fev with 12 players for a game in 1941 and we loaned them Walt to make the numbers up.

Mark, i even asked Our Clive, Walt's son if knew about this and he said it was news to him aswell, the only solution he came up with is Billy Williams went to help out at St Helens during the War and perhaps Walt travelled with him, but obviously not, thanks for your reply i will tell our Clive the answer.

Im Fev and im proud

Mark, i even asked Our Clive, Walt's son if knew about this and he said it was news to him aswell, the only solution he came up with is Billy Williams went to help out at St Helens during the War and perhaps Walt travelled with him, but obviously not, thanks for your reply i will tell our Clive the answer.

It's fascinating what you can dig up Maureen. War-time guest players were mostly those enlisted in the Army who found themsleves elsewhere in the period 39-45 and were given license to play for clubs other than the club they were registered for. That way, Eric Batten first played for Featherstone, some years before we officially signed him. Im guessing that Walt, like so many of his team-mates, was a miner and so wasn't called up to the Army.

Thanks Bob, couldnt remember his name, but I knew there was someone else at the club, he did a few books on Rovers didn't he? Good reads.

Matt, you're confusing Terry with Ron Bailey. Ron was club secretary from 1955 to 1967 and has written four published books on the Rovers. Terry Jones was club secretary from 1977 to 1995, and is still the club statistician I believe

Matt, you're confusing Terry with Ron Bailey. Ron was club secretary from 1955 to 1967 and has written four published books on the Rovers. Terry Jones was club secretary from 1977 to 1995, and is still the club statistician I believe

Yeah I did, CW told me i'd mixed 'em up :O my apologies.

Cummins Out.

It's fascinating what you can dig up Maureen. War-time guest players were mostly those enlisted in the Army who found themsleves elsewhere in the period 39-45 and were given license to play for clubs other than the club they were registered for. That way, Eric Batten first played for Featherstone, some years before we officially signed him. Im guessing that Walt, like so many of his team-mates, was a miner and so wasn't called up to the Army.

Was this the first attempt at dual registration? :blink:

Bl00dy Red Hall :P

The weak conform, the strong survive.

I believe Eddie Waring built a Dewsbury championship winning side based on guest players during wartime.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.