All Star Game  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Could it happen?

• Sounds Good
    • Would need looking in to
    • No, too many games already
    • Could replace Magic Weekend
    • Other, Please state...

Maybe we are missing a trick from our American cousins, instead of a Lancashire v Yorkshire, or GB v Other Nationalities, how about a Mid-Season (No league round) All-Star Game, Reds v Blues, best 34 players, of the last 12 months, being picked by the best coaches of the last 12 months.

We could have Yorkshire based forwards and Lancs/Wales/France based backs v Lancs/Wales/France based Forwards and Yorkshire based backs

Or

British forwards and Foreign backs v Foreign forwards v British Backs.

What else could we do to replace our poor version of Origin that the RFL killed off?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yorks V Lancs

Scrap Millenium Magic and the on its ass Challenge Cup and have Yorks V Lancs on stand alone weekends 3 weeks apart from each other.

Cumbrians and Londoners pick one or the other, if they dont want to then they wont play Origin, simple as.

Yup, that'll really grow the sport outside the heartlands. All us folk in Hampshire would really get behind a Yorks / Lancs thing.

I'd go;

- Super League dream team v England (or the best of whats left!) or

- England v Super League Champions, with the Super League champions retaining there English players allowing a few lads down the pecking order a chance to shine.

Yup, that'll really grow the sport outside the heartlands. All us folk in Hampshire would really get behind a Yorks / Lancs thing.

Tough titties, it's never going to grow outside of the heartlands anyway.

You want to support a regional team then start devloping enough clubs and players in your region to support one.

Fans in Yorks/Lancs shouldn't be denied a origin style match/competition because there isn't a London/Cumbria side to make up the numbers.

Bloody SL dream team/Anzac dream team is ridiculous, there would be no support for them whatsoever at least the majority of RL fans come from Yorks/Lancs and with decent marketing would have a chance of taking off.

People in Melbourne seem to have no problem watching SOO. Many people in entirely different countries will also watch SOO. Seeing as England are out of the world cup will no english people watch the remaining games?

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

City vs Town Origin

City Origin

Hull

Leeds

Bradford

Wakefield

Salford

Liverpool (Graham)

London

Sheffield

etc, etc

Town Origin

Wigan

St Helens

Warrington

Castleford

Huddersfield

Widnes

Leigh

Halifax

etc, etc

I think that would give players the incentive and the fans too! I would watch a match like that.

Imagine a SOO style intro with the players saying their name and where they come from; "James Graham - Liverpool", "Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook - London", "Richie Myler - Widnes", "Kyle Eastmond - Oldham". I can see that would interest fans outside the super league too.

Can't think of why it's not been mooted before?

We've got to forget anything that involves players from other countries, it's got to be British vs British so we can have at least 40 of our top players testing themselves out against each other. Reds vs Blues, East vs West, Probables vs Possibles doesn't do it for me but I'm a proud 'townie' and would love to put one over those 'city slickers'.

Edited by manofthematch

The Indigenous v NRL All Stars concept was remarkably successful in Australia this year. A full weekend was dedicated to it, fans got to vote for the composition of the teams and there were several charitable institutions that benefitted from the game. Those ancillary features would be what's needed to help a fixture like this capture the imagination of the public. Put the national team against the International All Stars, made up of the best import, French and Welsh players.

England v Commonwealth, as has happened way back in the past.

If you're going to bring back Yorks v Lancs then call it East v West. RL fans would know that it was really the two big counties but it would provide a more inclusive spectacle for the outside world.

From a pure playing and selection point of view I would love to see Probables v Possibles, regardless of how many want to watch. One, to see how hungry those on the fringes of the first team squad are and, two, to see how the established team members stand up to the challenge of possibly losing their place.

City vs Town Origin

City Origin

Hull

Leeds

Bradford

Wakefield

Salford

Liverpool (Graham)

London

Sheffield

etc, etc

Town Origin

Wigan

St Helens

Warrington

Castleford

Huddersfield

Widnes

Leigh

Halifax

etc, etc

I think that would give players the incentive and the fans too! I would watch a match like that.

Imagine a SOO style intro with the players saying their name and where they come from; "James Graham - Liverpool", "Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook - London", "Richie Myler - Widnes", "Kyle Eastmond - Oldham". I can see that would interest fans outside the super league too.

We've got to forget anything that involves players from other countries, it's got to be British vs British so we can have at least 40 of our top players testing themselves out against each other. Reds vs Blues, East vs West, Probables vs Possibles doesn't do it for me but I'm a proud 'townie' and would love to put one over those 'city slickers'.

best idea ive seen posted on here

City vs Town Origin

City Origin

Hull

Leeds

Bradford

Wakefield

Salford

Liverpool (Graham)

London

Sheffield

etc, etc

Town Origin

Wigan

St Helens

Warrington

Castleford

Huddersfield

Widnes

Leigh

Halifax

etc, etc

Yes, I liked that idea - would it be where the player was born? Also, places like Castleford and Featherstone are within the City of Wakefield district. ;)

Sorry but it doesn't matter how you dress it up our players don't seem to have the pride, passion or enthusiasm for this kind of match. We've seen it before and we'd see it again and with it would come fan apathy.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Year 1. Yorkshire - Lancashire.

Year 2. Winner - Rest of country.

Year 3. Continue

Yes, I liked that idea - would it be where the player was born? Also, places like Castleford and Featherstone are within the City of Wakefield district. ;)

Origin; the place from where someone comes. ;)

Castleford and Fev are towns in their own right, yes they may be in the metropolitan borough of Wakefield but we're talking 'roots' here just as Leigh is not really 'in' Wigan. Players representing their town or city of birth is surely something to be proud of and as a Widnesian I'd be more than interested seeing Richie (if selected) representing our town just as the Oldham folk would be of Sinfield and Eastmond.

As for probs vs possibles, not interested, who would you shout for? and the east/west thing where do you draw the line? (don't say the pennines, means nothing in Wales or down south) For me there already is a town vs city rivalry and I think it would bring out a bit of ferocity in such an encounter.

Edited by manofthematch

Sorry but it doesn't matter how you dress it up our players don't seem to have the pride, passion or enthusiasm for this kind of match. We've seen it before and we'd see it again and with it would come fan apathy.

Here we go, let's throw cold water on the idea then, might as well take me bloody ball home! :D

Edited by manofthematch

Yorkshire, Lancs, Cumbria and an All Stars XIII (which could be made up of the other counties, plus overseas players to make them competitive).

Why not have a draw for the two semis and then have a double header for the finals and 3rd v 4th.

So what. It's got nothing to do with you.

I personally don't give a rats ###### about NSW or Queensland. Do you think the Australians should abandon State of Origin because I don't have a team to support.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

you have somethign fans can get behind and on a constant basis rather than their favroutie player plays for the team that year and thent he next is in the other side (probables v possibles style)

Yorks v Lacs IMO doesnt work that well becuase of cumbria, wales and london and the hope to grow the sport..

i like the town and country idea..

i also like the idea of a heartlands vs expansion.. its the biggest grudge we have at the moment .. heartlands = any player born in a corridor designed by taking the original clubs in 1895 and drawing a line through them with a 3 mile radius around the line or something like that anyway (someone with more time can work out the best way of splitting it, maybe 5 miles or an average line drawn from one end to the other with the clubs furthers north ad south of the line being the boundaries etc... but you get the general gist)

So what. It's got nothing to do with you.

I personally don't give a rats ###### about NSW or Queensland. Do you think the Australians should abandon State of Origin because I don't have a team to support.

It's got as much to do with me as it has with anyone else in this country.

I responded to a suggestion that the MM weekend and Challenge cup be scrapped and that Londoners and Cumbrians choose either team or don't get invited to the party and quite frankly it's one of the most ludicrous and insular suggestions I've ever seen on this board.

The Challenge Cup is part of Rugby League's heritage and should be given far more prominence by the RFL than it currently gets, part of the attraction of it (and in my view of the FIFA world cup as well) is that everyone has an involvement so the event itself is given a huge boost to start and then develops a momentum of it's own. Casual viewers become engaged and then some will maintain that engagement through the competition as their team drops out and then beyond the finish of the event.

The "Magic" weekend was one of the few innovations from Rugby League that may have actually helped spread the word, I went to the first one in Cardiff and thoroughly enjoyed it (despite meeting some dodgy characters...Johnoco ;) ) I went with other "casual" RL fans and since then we have all been to several Harlequins games and took a bigger group to the second weekend. In my view (for what it's worth) this event is worth persevering with, it will take time to develop it so it becomes an event in and of itself, an event that will get people attending who are not dyed in the wool RL fans but rather who will attend a number of "big" events through the year, British GP, Grand National, 6Nations, Henley Regatta.......Actually probably not Henley.

Dropping that potential for a parochial ersatz copy of an Australian event sends out all the wrong signals about the vibrant national growing sport of Rugby League.

Whether you care about NSW or Queensland is irrelevant to the running of the Aussie SOO competition but whether people from Cheltenham, Winchester or Margate give a Rat's ###### about Yorkshire vs Lancashire is entirely relevant to the running of a UK competition.

It's got as much to do with me as it has with anyone else in this country.

I responded to a suggestion that the MM weekend and Challenge cup be scrapped and that Londoners and Cumbrians choose either team or don't get invited to the party and quite frankly it's one of the most ludicrous and insular suggestions I've ever seen on this board.

The Challenge Cup is part of Rugby League's heritage and should be given far more prominence by the RFL than it currently gets, part of the attraction of it (and in my view of the FIFA world cup as well) is that everyone has an involvement so the event itself is given a huge boost to start and then develops a momentum of it's own. Casual viewers become engaged and then some will maintain that engagement through the competition as their team drops out and then beyond the finish of the event.

The "Magic" weekend was one of the few innovations from Rugby League that may have actually helped spread the word, I went to the first one in Cardiff and thoroughly enjoyed it (despite meeting some dodgy characters...Johnoco ;) ) I went with other "casual" RL fans and since then we have all been to several Harlequins games and took a bigger group to the second weekend. In my view (for what it's worth) this event is worth persevering with, it will take time to develop it so it becomes an event in and of itself, an event that will get people attending who are not dyed in the wool RL fans but rather who will attend a number of "big" events through the year, British GP, Grand National, 6Nations, Henley Regatta.......Actually probably not Henley.

Dropping that potential for a parochial ersatz copy of an Australian event sends out all the wrong signals about the vibrant national growing sport of Rugby League.

Whether you care about NSW or Queensland is irrelevant to the running of the Aussie SOO competition but whether people from Cheltenham, Winchester or Margate give a Rat's ###### about Yorkshire vs Lancashire is entirely relevant to the running of a UK competition.

Plenty of good points there.

I remember watching the last Yorks v Lancs/Cheshire/Greater Manchester and it was terrible, with a poor turnout and a mediocre spectacle on the field.

Remember, also, that when State of Origin was first suggested, it was derided by just about everyone as a gimmicky concept that would never work. And maybe if that first match hadn't been such a classic, it might have withered away like the War of the Roses.

So there's a bit of luck involved, because you can't guarantee a classic match ahead of the event.

Failing everything else, get the whole England squad together, appoint two captains and let 'em pick the teams, school playground style. Winner of the coin toss gets first pick, then they alternate. ;)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sort out the player apathy first and then you wouldn't get fan apathy.
I think that is very harsh. Whilst some of the media comments from people who should know better are poor, the players very rarely let us down on the pitch.

The fact that the England games didn't sell out a month before the 4N was a disgrace, those tickets should be like golddust in grounds that size.