St. Helens v Catalans Dragons

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Catalans
    • Draw

Ok anyone dare to name the full Saints 17 for this week, with Eastmond and Cunningham both out for at least a month and Dixon gone too, not to mention pryce being touch and go and hargreaves in for an injury. We are getting down to no squad left.

Ok just checked the Saints web site and it's not too bad we are rushing back some of those missing against Leeds to fill the gaps.

Tony Puletua, Gary Wheeler and Francis Meli back this week and perhaps Jon Wilkin too.

Just 7 injured, if he does not get the 4 back above he would have a choice of 19 from 22.

No doubt we'll keep going, but I've never known a season like it at Saints, it's been young and old and middle aged. Of the squad this season I think they've nearly all had weeks off with an injury. There may well have been more, but these are the one's I can recall. That gives us 4 in the first 17 without injury athough I can't be certain about Moore or Clough as to whether they have been injured.

1. Paul Wellens - injured

2. Ade Gardner - injured

3. Matt Gidley - injured

4. Sia Soliola - injured

5. Francis Meli - injured

6. Leon Pryce - injured

7. Kyle Eastmond - injured

8. Nick Fozzard - injured

9. Keiron Cunningham - injured

10. James Graham

11. Tony Puletua - injured

12. Jon Wilkin - injured

13. Chris Flannery - injured

14. James Roby

15. Bryn Hargreaves - injured

16. Scott Moore

17. Paul Clough

18. Matty Ashurst - injured

19. Chris Dean - injured

20. Gareth Frodsham - injured

21. Gary Wheeler - injured

22. Andrew Dixon - injured

23. Maurie Fa'asavalu - injured

24. Jonny Lomax - injured

25. Jacob Emmitt

26. Tom Armstrong - injured

27. Jamie Ellis

28. Shaun Magennis

29. Andrew Yates

30. Jamie Foster - injured

31. Jack Bradbury

32. Lee Gaskell

33. Paul Johnson

It's all about da bass

Ok anyone dare to name the full Saints 17 for this week, with Eastmond and Cunningham both out for at least a month and Dixon gone too, not to mention pryce being touch and go and hargreaves in for an injury. We are getting down to no squad left.

Ok just checked the Saints web site and it's not too bad we are rushing back some of those missing against Leeds to fill the gaps.

Tony Puletua, Gary Wheeler and Francis Meli back this week and perhaps Jon Wilkin too.

Just 7 injured, if he does not get the 4 back above he would have a choice of 19 from 22.

No doubt we'll keep going, but I've never known a season like it at Saints, it's been young and old and middle aged. Of the squad this season I think they've nearly all had weeks off with an injury. There may well have been more, but these are the one's I can recall. That gives us 4 in the first 17 without injury athough I can't be certain about Moore or Clough as to whether they have been injured.

1. Paul Wellens - injured

2. Ade Gardner - injured

3. Matt Gidley - injured

4. Sia Soliola - injured

5. Francis Meli - injured

6. Leon Pryce - injured

7. Kyle Eastmond - injured

8. Nick Fozzard - injured

9. Keiron Cunningham - injured

10. James Graham

11. Tony Puletua - injured

12. Jon Wilkin - injured

13. Chris Flannery - injured

14. James Roby

15. Bryn Hargreaves - injured

16. Scott Moore

17. Paul Clough

18. Matty Ashurst - injured

19. Chris Dean - injured

20. Gareth Frodsham - injured

21. Gary Wheeler - injured

22. Andrew Dixon - injured

23. Maurie Fa'asavalu - injured

24. Jonny Lomax - injured

25. Jacob Emmitt

26. Tom Armstrong - injured

27. Jamie Ellis

28. Shaun Magennis

29. Andrew Yates

30. Jamie Foster - injured

31. Jack Bradbury

32. Lee Gaskell

33. Paul Johnson

Sack your conditioner?

[unsuccesfully looks for the violin smiley]

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

Sack your conditioner?

It's ok not after tea and sympathy. Just pointing out how many have had injuries this year, never known a year like it for Saints. To be fair we've been pretty lucky with injuries in previous years, they all seam to have come together this year.

Also I did point out that it doesn't look so bad when you read who they are bringing back in this week.

Lee Gaskell in the 19, that's a new name on me. Any under 20's watchers have any opinions on whether he'll go ok if he plays?

And will they play him at stand off with no recognised halfbacks left.

Edited by bewareshadows

It's all about da bass

I think Wigan have only 4 ever presents, but have not checked. We have had plenty of injuries, but have not gone into a prolonged bad patch for a few reasons - we have a lot of cover, we have no superstars and so are not that reliant on any individual, and are injuries have generally been spread across the season and different positions. If you get 10 out at once any team suffers, whereas Wigan have generally had 6 out pretty much all year. If we had 3 out but they were Sam, Tommy and Lockers we would be in trouble.

It would be worth looking into the types of injuries people suffer before concluding it is conditioning or bad luck. Eastmond was brought back too early perhaps, and so that bad luck may well have been poor judgement. Amos was similarly brought back too early for the 1/4 final.

I think Wigan have only 4 ever presents, but have not checked. We have had plenty of injuries, but have not gone into a prolonged bad patch for a few reasons - we have a lot of cover, we have no superstars and so are not that reliant on any individual, and are injuries have generally been spread across the season and different positions. If you get 10 out at once any team suffers, whereas Wigan have generally had 6 out pretty much all year. If we had 3 out but they were Sam, Tommy and Lockers we would be in trouble.

It would be worth looking into the types of injuries people suffer before concluding it is conditioning or bad luck. Eastmond was brought back too early perhaps, and so that bad luck may well have been poor judgement. Amos was similarly brought back too early for the 1/4 final.

I agree I thought Eastmond was brought back to earlybut then looking at the replay on TV it was a bit of a freak tackle so maybe just bad luck.

Our injuries have basically been a few long term injuries, ie Wilkin, Fasavalu and Soliola, with a sprinkling of both young and old each week. Meli is a bit of a concern as he's been a week back then a week away. I just hope no one was rushed back too soon this week because of a lack of troops. If we play well with a whole team of kids and lose the fans will understand, if we rush players back who then get injured for another month then we could end up running short at the business end of the season.

Bet you Eastmonds back for the semi-final, whether he plays against Warrington the week before or not.

It's all about da bass

Lee Gaskell in the 19, that's a new name on me. Any under 20's watchers have any opinions on whether he'll go ok if he plays?

Your standout young player in recent years, he'll be fine.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

Saints to throw the game again, just like they did last year.

Bit early to be throwing games for a semi, besides we don't have the luxury to rest players this year.

19 mansquads for this week.

SAINTS

1. Paul Wellens, 2. Ade Gardner, 3. Matt Gidley, 5. Francis Meli, 8. Nick Fozzard, 10. James Graham, 11. Tony Puletua, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Chris Flannery, 14. James Roby, 15. Bryn Hargreaves, 16. Scott Moore, 17. Paul Clough, 18. Matty Ashurst, 19. Chris Dean, 24. Jonny Lomax, 25. Jake Emmitt, 28. Shaun Magennis, 32. Lee Gaskell.

CATALAN

1. Clint Greenshields, 2. Steve Bell, 3. Sebastien Raguin, 7. Thomas Bosc, 9. Casey McGuire, 10. Jerome Guisset, 11. Olivier Elima, 13. Dallas Johnson, 16. William Barthau, 17. Cyril Gossard, 18. Dane Carlaw, 22. Jamel Fakir, 24. Remi Casty, 25. Tony Gigot, 26. Cyril Stacul, 27. Michael Simon, 28. Frederic Vaccari, 29. Andrew Bentley, 30 Brent Sherwin.

Referee for the game, which kicks off at 8pm, is Ian Smith

It's all about da bass

He's been outstanding in U20's this year and can play 6 or 7 (though 6 is his favoured position). He absolutely took Leeds apart in the U20's game last week scoring & creating try's for fun. My only concern with him is that he's quite slightly built and may find the physical aspect of a match against the Catalans tough going, but if he can get some time & space I think he will go well.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Sack your conditioner?

Some of the injuries have been freaks, others such as Wilkin you have to question why his long term injury (as in he's been carrying it a long time) wasn't dealt with in the off season.

I think it's a fair point to wonder about the standard of conditioning at Saints this season.

It was interesting to note the differences in the 2 teams at the end of the Good Friday derby. Obviously Wigan were bouyed by the win, Saints were gutted with the loss, and the mental state at the end of the game needs to be taken into consideration, but Wigan looked a darn sight fresher than Saints at the end of that match. They were obviously put thru a testing pre-season fitness regime by the coach and I think the results are there for all to see.

I see Cunningham is taking on some kind of conditioning/ skills coach role from next season so it will be interesting to see what changes.

I expect players will bulk up dramatically then. :rolleyes:

With KC, aka the DeerHunter, as conditioning coach, I reckon it'll be venison bangers for breakfast, venison burgers for lunch and venison steaks for dinner. Plenty of high quality lean protein.

Edited by foozler

Well done Catalans....

Salford, Catalans, they can do it, WHY CAN'T WIRES.....?

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

Catalans are that poor it doesn't matter who Saints field against them they'll still win by a substantial margin.

Sorry, what was that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Catalans were good value for their win last night. All their tries were quality efforts. Fair play to them,and to all the Saints fans who applauded them off at the end of the game.

Saints were lacking in the creative department , defense was obviously not that great either. Don't understand how Meli got MOM !! For me James Roby was the stand out player for Saints. And bringing Gardner on with 10 to go was akin to England bringing Emile Heskey on against the Germans .

Lee Gaskell had a good debut. Scoring a quality try 5 mins after being absolutely crash banged by Jamel Fakir shows the lad's got bottle as well as skill. He reminds me somewhat of Nigel Wright - though I hope his career lasts a whole lot longer obviously.

Woeful performance from Saints bar a couple of players. Roby was great again and Lomax is really showing his class now. Catalans peppered him with the bomb all night (cant think why when Meli was on the other wing) and the kid took every single one of them under pressure, returning them with interest on a couple of occasions. As far as i'm concerned they can leave Gardner out for the rest of the season and play Lomax.

The only other plus we could take from the game was the debut of Lee Gaskell. He made a couple of mistakes but scored a great individual try and also looked to have a great boot on him. Give him a year or 2 to get a bit more physical strength and I reckon he will turn out to be a top class player.

Bar Roby, Clough & Graham the Saints forwards really struggled against a big Catalans 6 and the gamble of playing a half fit Puletua & Hargreaves didn't pay off.

Catalans were well worth their win, their enthusiasm & attitude was far better than most of the Saints players.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Catalans were well worth their win, their enthusiasm & attitude was far better than most of the Saints players.

Good to hear - an area where the Dragons have been lacking all season bar a couple of performances. I think they will be going all out in a couple of weeks time when they welcome Wire to rattle a few rib cages in advance of the Challenge Cup semi.