'RL attracts rough people, from rough backgrounds' Says Tezza Newton

"Not every player will be like Kris Radlinski or Sean O'Loughlin or Paul Deacon, who had nice upbringings and were always sensible lads," he says in a telling passage. "There are also plenty of players who are on the same wavelength as me.

"Rugby league is a rough game and of course it attracts people from rough backgrounds, but it shouldn't be ashamed of that

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne Rooney

I rest my case

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Isn't Sean O'Loughlin one of the dirtiest players in the Super League though? So possibly not the best example? Funniest thing I heard the other day: "He just can't tackle below neck height".

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Wayne Rooney

I rest my case

That Lame Brain Media Hack Mike Parry on TalkSquawk recently was bemoaning that there weren't many kids playing wendyball from middle class backgrounds cause their parents encourage them to play Cricket and Rugby (he didn't code distinguish) This was his latest excuse as to why England once again failed to live up to the hype the media put on the overpaid show ponies

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

That Lame Brain Media Hack Mike Parry on TalkSquawk recently was bemoaning that there weren't many kids playing wendyball from middle class backgrounds cause their parents encourage them to play Cricket and Rugby (he didn't code distinguish) This was his latest excuse as to why England once again failed to live up to the hype the media put on the overpaid show ponies

I think he probably meant Rugby Union as it is seen as a upper tier Middle/Upper Class sport and whenever you hear Rugby Union players speak you can tell theyr'e generally from 'well to do' backgrounds. So, I guess that analysis may be sad-but-true?...

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Eton was always more soccer than union, presumably many old etonians play professional soccer

Eton was always more soccer than union, presumably many old etonians play professional soccer

I don't know of any Pro Footy players who went to Eton. 'Association Football' may have possibly started out at Cambridge Uni but it certainly seems to be a mainly working/middle class sport these days rather than upper-middle/Upper Class like Tennis, Golf, Polo and Rugby Union?...

I think a large portion of the footy players from London & the North seem to have came from fairly 'umble backgrounds?

Edited by HappyDave

I don't know of any Pro Footy players who went to Eton. 'Association Football' may have possibly started out at Cambridge Uni but it certainly seems to be a mainly working/middle class sport these days rather than upper-middle/Upper Class like Tennis, Golf, Polo and Rugby Union?...

I think a large portion of the footy players from London & the North seem to have came from fairly 'umble backgrounds?

True, very few premiership footballers went to private schools. Unlike their children.

True, very few premiership footballers went to private schools. Unlike their children.

I guess most Premiership footballers could actually afford to buy their kids a private school. :lol:

I believe Lampard is the only England footballer to have ever come from a public school, which in any case was paid for by his Dad's soccer career.

This is trotted out occasionally. It is said that the public school kids have the right stuff and would soon make us Champions as they do in rowing and equestrian events. If corse, it is rarely argued that the state school kids are the only ones with the right stuff, as shown by their global success in darts and snooker and the failure of public school kids to break into the Premiership.

It is utter drivel and if anyone is to listen to Talk Sport, they should scrub their brain out with a wire brush and certainly not flick the specks onto this forum.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

RL for the vast majority of players (and the fans) is the only way to escape from the mundane, slums and crime that we face in everyday life.

Just ever so slightly over the top there, Wendall old chap.

Working class roots maybe; slums and crime - not the same thing at all.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

"Not every player will be like Kris Radlinski or Sean O'Loughlin or Paul Deacon, who had nice upbringings and were always sensible lads," he says in a telling passage. "There are also plenty of players who are on the same wavelength as me.

"Rugby league is a rough game and of course it attracts people from rough backgrounds, but it shouldn't be ashamed of that

The problem with the Upper middle class theory is that English Rugby Union is hardly full to the brim with world class athletes. In fact our oik sport that generally gets the football cast offs does a better job of producing them.

Only one I can think of is Fat Frank Lampard. Wouldn't be surprised if his cousin J Rednap went private too.

I presume it is OK to be well educated and love RL?

Actually I couldn't agree more with Terry Newton's comments.

I'd probably class myself in the bracket he put Radlinski and O'Loughlin in, and I've played with many lads who live and have been brought up in surroundings far less amenable than I was lucky enough to have been nurtured in. I've been to Uni and am now Professionally qualified in my chosen career.

And here's the big statement; despite us loving the same sport and being good team mates, in many ways we would have almost nothing in common. Furthermore our mindset and approach to playing the game couldn't be more different if we tried.

If these lads I played with hadn't have played Rugby League they would have been causing serious bother somewhere else. Even with the game as an outlet for their frustrations etc. they were still more than guilty of going off the rails at the weekends.

I also like the comment about "Under Class" and "Working Class"- there is a distinct difference and mindset for each bracket, and the latter have nothing to be ashamed of.

The former however has a growing presence and it's unfavorable values and typical behaviour is becoming far more prevalent......especially in Highly Paid Premiership footballers who've come from this background.

Actually I couldn't agree more with Terry Newton's comments.

I'd probably class myself in the bracket he put Radlinski and O'Loughlin in, and I've played with many lads who live and have been brought up in surroundings far less amenable than I was lucky enough to have been nurtured in. I've been to Uni and am now Professionally qualified in my chosen career.

And here's the big statement; despite us loving the same sport and being good team mates, in many ways we would have almost nothing in common. Furthermore our mindset and approach to playing the game couldn't be more different if we tried.

If these lads I played with hadn't have played Rugby League they would have been causing serious bother somewhere else. Even with the game as an outlet for their frustrations etc. they were still more than guilty of going off the rails at the weekends.

I also like the comment about "Under Class" and "Working Class"- there is a distinct difference and mindset for each bracket, and the latter have nothing to be ashamed of.

The former however has a growing presence and it's unfavorable values and typical behaviour is becoming far more prevalent......especially in Highly Paid Premiership footballers who've come from this background.

I prefer to use "(Non-working) class" as opposed to "underclass" because the people referred to have never worked a day in their life and live handsomely off benefits in low-rent council flats/houses whilst working class people on low pay often pay massive rents in private lettings. I would like to see the emergence of a live-in modern-day workhouse (inc. good schooling) to accommodate these "(Non-working) class" chavs and their kids (i.e. a bit like a room in a nurses home)

I prefer to use "(Non-working) class" as opposed to "underclass" because the people referred to have never worked a day in their life and live handsomely off benefits in low-rent council flats/houses whilst working class people on low pay often pay massive rents in private lettings. I would like to see the emergence of a live-in modern-day workhouse (inc. good schooling) to accommodate these "(Non-working) class" chavs and their kids (i.e. a bit like a room in a nurses home)

Like it cocker, like it!