Mathers signs three-year Castleford contract

CASTLEFORD Tigers have signed Warrington Wolves full-back Richie Mathers on a three-year contract.

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress....ract.6415551.jp

My God - this time next year we'll have a recognised full back playing full back!!!

Never been massively impressed with Mathers but in terms of balancing the side, allowing McGoldrick to play further up the park I see it as an excellent signing.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

My God - this time next year we'll have a recognised full back playing full back!!!

Never been massively impressed with Mathers but in terms of balancing the side, allowing McGoldrick to play further up the park I see it as an excellent signing.

sadly thats Rchad Owen consigned to the wing though surely .. would have been good to get him a run at fullback when he is back..

sadly thats Rchad Owen consigned to the wing though surely .. would have been good to get him a run at fullback when he is back..

True but not sure how long it will be until we see Richie back - Terry Matterson stated that he probably won;t be back for the start of the season

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

True but not sure how long it will be until we see Richie back - Terry Matterson stated that he probably won;t be back for the start of the season

oooh blimey i sort of assumed he would be back by the beginning of hte season.. its rare injuries overlap seasons when they happen so early.. nasty..

oooh blimey i sort of assumed he would be back by the beginning of hte season.. its rare injuries overlap seasons when they happen so early.. nasty..

Indeed - was a really bad one!

I can't see this as a good signing for Cas. Mathers has about one good game a season, and the rest of the time he's a turnstile. Not so much a recognised full-back as a barely recognisable rugby league player. I thought he'd be off to union, or finding his level futher down the leagues a la Chris Thorman.

Sorry to say it, but Cas will struugle with Mathers as the last line of defence, especially if Shenton's going.

I can't see this as a good signing for Cas. Mathers has about one good game a season, and the rest of the time he's a turnstile. Not so much a recognised full-back as a barely recognisable rugby league player. I thought he'd be off to union, or finding his level futher down the leagues a la Chris Thorman.

Sorry to say it, but Cas will struugle with Mathers as the last line of defence, especially if Shenton's going.

That's the most negative I've heard of Mathers I have to say!

That said, McGoldrick has been our last line of defence for a while now - I can't see Mathers being any worse

That's the most negative I've heard of Mathers I have to say!

That said, McGoldrick has been our last line of defence for a while now - I can't see Mathers being any worse

Let me put some real viewing time perspective on the 'turnstyle' comment. He will get nailed for pace, that is a given. Front on, he is good. Line defence, preventing players grounding the ball, he is excellent.

Arguably his greatest strength is organising the defensive line in front of him.

Let me put some real viewing time perspective on the 'turnstyle' comment. He will get nailed for pace, that is a given. Front on, he is good. Line defence, preventing players grounding the ball, he is excellent.

Arguably his greatest strength is organising the defensive line in front of him.

Yep.

He has weaknesses, but I'd have been happy to see him stay at Warrington, and he will certainly improve the Cas team.

As GDMM says, he isn't brilliant when he has pace running straight at him from distance, and he makes the odd mistake under the high ball (but then so do most fb's).

On the positives - his kick return is very good in that he positions himself well and actually runs back fast and strong rather than jogging as many do nowadays. He is excellent close to his own line and his upper body strength is very impressive, he is brilliant at wrapping the attacker up so they can't get the ball down. He is also a very good link player, and has set up a fair few tries this year for our wingers. His enthusiasm and communication should also not be underestimated.

Ignore all the negatives, if you listened to most people on here, all players are ###### unless they have an Aussie accent. I hope he does well, and if he continues his Wire form then you will have made a good signing.

Yep.

He has weaknesses, but I'd have been happy to see him stay at Warrington, and he will certainly improve the Cas team.

As GDMM says, he isn't brilliant when he has pace running straight at him from distance, and he makes the odd mistake under the high ball (but then so do most fb's).

On the positives - his kick return is very good in that he positions himself well and actually runs back fast and strong rather than jogging as many do nowadays. He is excellent close to his own line and his upper body strength is very impressive, he is brilliant at wrapping the attacker up so they can't get the ball down. He is also a very good link player, and has set up a fair few tries this year for our wingers. His enthusiasm and communication should also not be underestimated.

Ignore all the negatives, if you listened to most people on here, all players are ###### unless they have an Aussie accent. I hope he does well, and if he continues his Wire form then you will have made a good signing.

what he said.

he pulled off at least one try scoring tackle at the weekend, well, either that or the cas player ran at him and manoevered(sp?) mather's limbs around him deliberately to give the impression that he pulled off a great tackle!

hogson had better be bloody good. 2 years!

foxes or poor people?

This may have been mentioned but he also has very good hands, and links into the line very well.

Plus, if Cas ha been struggling for numbers in the group hugs after tries have been scored, he will be an enthusiastic addition on that side of things.

This may have been mentioned but he also has very good hands, and links into the line very well.

Plus, if Cas ha been struggling for numbers in the group hugs after tries have been scored, he will be an enthusiastic addition on that side of things.

:D Serious question, was he still like that when he was having a torrid time at Wigan, or is it just now he is enjoying his Rugby again?

Indeed - was a really bad one!

More fuel for the anti-Bull fire?! ;)

This contract will make or break Mathers. Yes he has his weaknesses but they haven't really been exposed this year, does this mean they've been cleaned up? Next year will show it.

Not quite 'big fish in a small pond', but a bigger fish. I hope it goes well for him, the two Richard's have similar styles so one would think they are interchangeable rather than conflicting.

:D Serious question, was he still like that when he was having a torrid time at Wigan, or is it just now he is enjoying his Rugby again?

He was the main backslapper at Wigan.

It became embarrassing, so we let you have him.

he was doing it at our place when he came on loan years ago!

foxes or poor people?

where would you say mcgoldrick would play best kenny? centre, stand off or loose

COME ON THE CORN

CLASSY CAS 4EVA

Go Go Go York City Knights!

where would you say mcgoldrick would play best kenny? centre, stand off or loose

Well he was bought as a centre but never bloody plays there!

For me I'd really like to see him pair up with Rangi in the halfs as he does add another dimension when he's further up the park.

rangi and McGoldrick in the halves, and Sherwins replacement to be a recognised centre to cover Shenton's (supposed) departure.

There's talk though of Danny Orr coming back next season which may see McGoldrick in the centres

I'll miss mathers @ Wires

Yes he makes errors (but what FB doesn't, plus last in defence always looks bad)

two great points on him as a player

team motivation (great talker on the pitch and encourages good plays etc)

creates tries ( ex stand off as a kid) good hands and good rugby brain.

Good Richie Mathers. :(