Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan
    • Warrington
    • Draw

wow - enthralling game, ridiculous amount of Wire mistakes in the first 20 minutes add in some poor discipline and it felt like it was going to be one of those nights - expectation high, performance lacking. One or two Wire players will need to question some of their actions and decisions. However, generally the defence was awesome and made Wigan look short on ideas. Some fantastic, legal, hits on both sides. Wigan's mistake rate caught up later.

Hicks on end of very well worked try, Riley so determined to catch Richards deserved a bit more luck for all that effort and what a defence splitting pass from Riley for Westwood try. Briers and those kicks for Myler caused chaos.

Game 1 of a big month out the way. I think unlikely that Wigan will lose top place but as I was reminded last night Wigan have trips to Hull and Leeds to come ... so maybe not quite over yet

Well done Wire and the massed ranks for fantastic support! Now the Wire!

Despite being short of ideas Wigan came pretty close to victory last night. An attacking scrum after the Farrell video ref decision and Carmont tip toeing in field and you're weeping into your Tetley's. the better team won but it looked close from my seat. I appreciate that massed ranks is to do with density rather than numbers, but it was a shame to see so many empty seats in the Wire end.

The last 3 teams that have beaten Wigan have stuttered in the weeks afterwards. If Wire can sustain that form for the next 7 games then they will be a better team than they have shown yet. If though they lose one more league game and one Cup game in that time you can re-watc the video all you like and it won't have made any difference. That is some challenge, especially for a team that looks to players far closer the end than the beginning of their careers for inspiration.

You see in football teams heading for trebles end up falling short on all fronts.

If they can win all their next 7 games then Wire will be some team. I wouldn't bet on it though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow - enthralling game, ridiculous amount of Wire mistakes in the first 20 minutes add in some poor discipline and it felt like it was going to be one of those nights - expectation high, performance lacking. One or two Wire players will need to question some of their actions and decisions. However, generally the defence was awesome and made Wigan look short on ideas. Some fantastic, legal, hits on both sides. Wigan's mistake rate caught up later.

Hicks on end of very well worked try, Riley so determined to catch Richards deserved a bit more luck for all that effort and what a defence splitting pass from Riley for Westwood try. Briers and those kicks for Myler caused chaos.

Game 1 of a big month out the way. I think unlikely that Wigan will lose top place but as I was reminded last night Wigan have trips to Hull and Leeds to come ... so maybe not quite over yet

Well done Wire and the massed ranks for fantastic support! Now the Wire!

Despite being short of ideas Wigan came pretty close to victory last night. An attacking scrum after the Farrell video ref decision and Carmont tip toeing in field and you're weeping into your Tetley's. the better team won but it looked close from my seat. I appreciate that massed ranks is to do with density rather than numbers, but it was a shame to see so many empty seats in the Wire end.

The last 3 teams that have beaten Wigan have stuttered in the weeks afterwards. If Wire can sustain that form for the next 7 games then they will be a better team than they have shown yet. If though they lose one more league game and one Cup game in that time you can re-watc the video all you like and it won't have made any difference. That is some challenge, especially for a team that looks to players far closer the end than the beginning of their careers for inspiration.

You see in football teams heading for trebles end up falling short on all fronts.

If they can win all their next 7 games then Wire will be some team. I wouldn't bet on it though.

That is some challenge, especially for a team that looks to players far closer the end than the beginning of their careers for inspiration.

indeed. makes you wonder why mcguire shifted tomkins to full back, he'd have learnt a lot from an old ###### like briers. again.

it seems the old 'we've never trained as hard' gubbins when a new coach comes in may not be as true as first thought. wire were fitter and had enough class to get home.

foxes or poor people?

so we didn't sell all our seats, who have this year???+ cats next week and then a semi (again) people cutting their cloth to suit them, not you.

if but and maybe, always happens in matches.....so please don't be bitter.

wires were there for the taking last night and you failed.....end of.

don't worry about the age of our team, worry about your failings.

Edited by 1976PMJwires

A small catch.

The better team won, absolutely. What it ultimately means will become apparent in the next 7 weeks.

I have no worries for the future - we may well add Hock, Hoffman, Lima, Finch and Quinn in place of Fielden's contract, Feca, Bailey, Phelps and Deacon. Hard to be pessimistic with an outlook like that.

I have no worries for the future - we may well add Hock, Hoffman, Lima, Finch and Quinn in place of Fielden's contract,

to be fair the paper that makes up the contract offers more go forward that the player himself.

foxes or poor people?

so we didn't sell all our seats, who have this year

To come to your defence, the game was not decalred as all ticket. When this happens, unless things have changed recently, then the Ground Safety Committee (police, fire, council, DW chief safety officer etc.) insist that a certain number of tickets are held back for walk ups. The police do not want a situation where they have angry groups of fans without tickets who they then have to try and squeeze into a full ground.

If the match is declared all ticket beforehand with no cash sales on the day then the situation is different.

Warrington therfore wouldn't have been given the full 5.5k tickets for the North Stand to sell and nobody in there right mind would have walked up at the last minute in that weather.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

To come to your defence, the game was not decalred as all ticket. When this happens, unless things have changed recently, then the Ground Safety Committee (police, fire, council, DW chief safety officer etc.) insist that a certain number of tickets are held back for walk ups. The police do not want a situation where they have angry groups of fans without tickets who they then have to try and squeeze into a full ground.

If the match is declared all ticket beforehand with no cash sales on the day then the situation is different.

Warrington therfore wouldn't have been given the full 5.5k tickets for the North Stand to sell and nobody in there right mind would have walked up at the last minute in that weather.

I was half inclined to stay in the pub myself!

Indeed, and I would go further. Wire travelled in great numbers, especially given the weather and they have a semi and a probable final to look forward to. My point was a narrowly, some might say churlishly, pedantic one about massed hordes, when there were gaps.

Don't often have a go at individual players but Fielden was absolutely dreadful, in every respect. I felt nervous every time he had the ball (that's if he hadn't already knocked on by then).

If Wigan could have put in one or two big hits in reply mid-way through the second half yesterday they would have much increased the chances of it swinging back their way, and you want the senior props putting that sort of work in.

When is his contract up? I suspect he's a really decent bloke but he is no way up to it at the moment...

Spot on Dave.

cheers

Paul

when we meet in the play offs we'll sell them all then. :P

Don't often have a go at individual players but Fielden was absolutely dreadful, in every respect. I felt nervous every time he had the ball (that's if he hadn't already knocked on by then).

If Wigan could have put in one or two big hits in reply mid-way through the second half yesterday they would have much increased the chances of it swinging back their way, and you want the senior props putting that sort of work in.

When is his contract up? I suspect he's a really decent bloke but he is no way up to it at the moment...

Fielden brought the situation onto his own head. Pointing at Morley; how futile. Play your own game and get one over your opposite number by sheer endeavour.

I've not stopped grinning since last night. I'm chuffed to bits with such a massive effort by Warrington, but the Wigan fans on here are rightly not going overboard about losing one game.

Do we have what it takes to repeat last night's show at least twice in the play offs when it really matters? Maybe.

Still think Myler makes a massive difference to us too, we have far more spark with him around.

Great result, still can't believe we were still in it after 20 mins, great defensive effort by all accounts.

However, we have a very big monkey to deal with next week, and tbh, until that monkey is gone, I won't really believe we're the real contenders we all want to be.

Gonna watch the 2001 match again later, and if anyone wants to do me a copy of that game last night, I won't refuse it, VHS or DVD.

From the clips on Sky sports news, Richards took his try well, made sure he got there, and what a pass to Westwood..... B)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

The Australian reports that Wigan will announce the signings of Lima, Hoffman and Finch on Monday. 2 world class forwards and an organising half back while keeping all of last night's team. Plus Hock and our young lads a year on.

It is a beautiful evening here. The long term forecast is set fair. :D

I appreciate that massed ranks is to do with density rather than numbers, but it was a shame to see so many empty seats in the Wire end.

Quite disappointed to read your comments on the support. It was announced (on your precious Wigan board) that Wire had 600 seats left at the start of Friday, meaning that they had sold around 4k, based on a 4.8k capcity (5402 full capacity minus 10% H&S capacity reduction = 4,800(ish)- although this may have been 15%). This means that with the Friday sales Wire probably took around 4.3k, and Wigan took around 18.4k.

Considering the fact that you got 18,605 versus Quins at home, the fact that you attracted fewer fans to a game like this should be a worry? You probably had around 17k against Saints, so you are actually bang out of order attacking the empty seats in the Warrington end, which legally couldn't be sold.

Edited by Dave T

Still think Myler makes a massive difference to us too, we have far more spark with him around.

Couldn't agree more with this, and love the fact that fans on here stilllove to rip him to pieces. His pace and energy around the middle of the park is a breath of fresh air for us!

Last night, had he had teh odd bounce he would have had a hat-trick.

Couldn't agree more with this, and love the fact that fans on here stilllove to rip him to pieces. His pace and energy around the middle of the park is a breath of fresh air for us!

Last night, had he had teh odd bounce he would have had a hat-trick.

:lol:

Wire got every bounce going.

:lol:

Wire got every bounce going.

Has someone bounced a fork lift truck off your head? :mellow:

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Well done to Warrington, there defense in the 1st 20 mins won them the game.

Great hit by Harrison (I think) on Fielden, does he know what day it is yet. Also great commentry about his chin and ref all the people who have knocked him out, had a little chuckle over that.

Thanks again for your expert analysis.

Shut up you tart.

You are beginning to sound like a 3 year old girl.

Dave, do me a favour will you?

WATCH THE GAME WITH BOTH EYES OPEN!!!!

Or even better, try going to a game once every so often.

Shut up you tart.

You are beginning to sound like a 3 year old girl.

Dave, do me a favour will you?

WATCH THE GAME WITH BOTH EYES OPEN!!!!

Or even better, try going to a game once every so often.

One of the most objective, unbiased fans I have ever bore testament to with his musings.

You really don't do yourself any favours.