Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan
    • Warrington
    • Draw

gmr phone in could be fun as jack dearden starts asking why 'the walk' started with 8 to go on friday!

Another guy who seems to think that it is more important who walks out than who walks in.

Just check the average attendances this season, and then explain why more people walk out of Wigan early, than walk into Wire at all.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another guy who seems to think that it is more important who walks out than who walks in.

Just check the average attendances this season, and then explain why more people walk out of Wigan early, than walk into Wire at all.

do i?

foxes or poor people?

check her out :lol::lol:

Wigan have always had bigger gates than Wires, also you have a catchment area of 300K as Warrington is 195K

even you could do the maths.

Not sure, maybe a 25k stadium vs a 14k stadium could explain it, though.(13k cap on Sky games too.)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

Though oddly enough, while only 2 of our crowds would fit into that stadium, Wire have only had 1 sell out. Now if there is one thing that Wigan can't be accused of it's their crowds and their loyalty.

What next, our shirts aren't actually red and we don't even eat pies?

If the temptation to s... stir extends to slagging off our speccies then watch out the Verve. You'll be onto them next.

i think i should say that i had a splendid time on friday. free tickets for the west stand which more than made up for being designated driver and having to look after a rather p!ssed up relative, though to be fair he rarely gets a pass! cool wigan fans sat behind us who seemed to take my celebrating with good grace even though one or more had travelled a considerable distance to be there.

lots of chanting between opposing fans after the game, some amusing some not, but not once did it threaten to overspill into anything more. wendall would have been disappointed.

foxes or poor people?

Quite disappointed to read your comments on the support. It was announced (on your precious Wigan board) that Wire had 600 seats left at the start of Friday, meaning that they had sold around 4k, based on a 4.8k capcity (5402 full capacity minus 10% H&S capacity reduction = 4,800(ish)- although this may have been 15%). This means that with the Friday sales Wire probably took around 4.3k, and Wigan took around 18.4k.

Considering the fact that you got 18,605 versus Quins at home, the fact that you attracted fewer fans to a game like this should be a worry? You probably had around 17k against Saints, so you are actually bang out of order attacking the empty seats in the Warrington end, which legally couldn't be sold.

Regarding the Quinns game, different marketing tactics for different games.

The North Stand for that game would have been closed due to the low number of opposition supporters. The marketing tactic was therefore to sell large bulk blocks of discounted tickets to sponsors and major employers in the borough and put them in the North stand, they could have done the same for the Warrington game but you lot would have moaned about no tickets being available.

18.5k with no away support, 22.5k with 4k away support, seems Wigan can get 18.5k Wiganers in the ground. How many other clubs can claim that.*

*Not Wigan supporters, their own supporters.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

check her out :lol::lol:

Wigan have always had bigger gates than Wires, also you have a catchment area of 300K as Warrington is 195K

even you could do the maths.

I'll do the maths since you obviously can't

The 300k figure you give is for Wigan Borough, not Wigan township, Leigh sits within Wigan Borough so you can knock 130K off that figure. That leaves Wigan at 170k and Warrington at 195k

So Warrington's catchment is 25k bigger than Wigan's I'm afraid to inform you. :rolleyes:

What have I told you before.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I'll do the maths since you obviously can't

The 300k figure you give is for Wigan Borough, not Wigan township, Leigh sits within Wigan Borough so you can knock 130K off that figure. That leaves Wigan at 170k and Warrington at 195k

So Warrington's catchment is 25k bigger than Wigan's I'm afraid to inform you. :rolleyes:

What have I told you before.

sorry taking the info from Office for national statistics

Leigh 30k nowhere near 130K, plus look at Leighs average crowd less than 1K, Dave do your maths???

this time you can not hide from the facts.

Leigh 30k nowhere near 130K, plus look at Leighs average crowd less than 1K, Dave do your maths???

tends to be nearer 2 k actually, but for a new ground, below what they should get.

That's a side issue, as is where you count borders/residents/ fans.

There's Saints and Wigan and Widnes fans in Warrington, there'll be Wires fans outside the town boundary too, even in Duckville, even though I'm hardly an active live viewing fan now, just as and when/if etc.

As long as I've been a leaguie, Wigan has been the big game, the draw card, the team to beat, the game to watch, the original Glamour team if you like, even in the 70's.

They always drew bigger crowds, home and away, and got around 4-5k turning up when they got relegated.

The difference in current capacities means we won't better their best gates, but we can console ourselves in selling out our stadium more often than them recently.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

i think i should say that i had a splendid time on friday. free tickets for the west stand which more than made up for being designated driver and having to look after a rather p!ssed up relative, though to be fair he rarely gets a pass! cool wigan fans sat behind us who seemed to take my celebrating with good grace even though one or more had travelled a considerable distance to be there.

lots of chanting between opposing fans after the game, some amusing some not, but not once did it threaten to overspill into anything more. wendall would have been disappointed.

This raises some interesting issues.

1 - good to hear that the violence endemic in virtual Wazza streets did not spill over into virtual Wigan (I was going to write Wigga but I believe that may have other connotations).

2 - I am not sure how you could have heard any Wiganers singing after a game given that they had all left by your own account long before the game ended. Maybe you heard the echo of massed hordes of Wazzerers?

3 - while the supporting cast has been doing a good job of giving vent to their anti-Wigan bile - Wigan walk tick, Sam absolutely dire player tick, Fielden cr.p tick, Joel a violent yob tick (let it all out) - the king of the stirrers is conspicuous by his absence. This coincides with Giwildgo's own absence, we all hope savouring every moment with a new baby pie. That prompts the inevitible thought - could GW amd Wendall be the same person and could Wendall be an imaginary figure of bitterness and stupidity created by him to make us all feel better about ourselves? If so, that is an act of genius.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

Of FFS, here we go again.

Wigan Borough Population 305,600.

Wigan Town Population 81,203

Leigh Town Poulation 43,006

The Borough of Wigan is made up of other townships, Ashton, Standish and Shevington, Hindley, Atherton, Tyldsley, Aspull and Haigh, Golborne etc.

The other townships tend to be added to either Wigan or Leighs populations to give the Wigan Leigh split.

So it now appears that Warrington has over double the population to draw on than the town of Wigan, I gave you the simple breakdown given as a standard split used within Wigan Council.

The office of national stats takes figures for the whole borough by constituancy, you would have to work out where each consituancy was aligned to, Wigan or Leigh, then add up the totals.

When you understand how the stats are compiled and what the numbers you quote actually mean then get back.

2 - I am not sure how you could have heard any Wiganers singing after a game given that they had all left by your own account long before the game ended. Maybe you heard the echo of massed hordes of Wazzerers?

my own account?

foxes or poor people?

I don't have an issue with the result at all.

Well done to Warrington.

What I do have an issue with is the usual male genitals spouted by Dave "I have one eye open" T, regarding his spotting of Tomkins doing all manner of dirty deeds, yet failing to see Morley taking out both of our half backs on numerous occasions, particularly in the 1st half.

It's not just Wigan that he picks on in this kind of thing, he regularly fails to see any number of misdemeanours perpetrated by Warrington players. He manages all of this without actually ever attending a game, which is almost miraculous.

Anyway, once again, well done to Wire on their win, but I hope you all realise that you are in a glass house, and you should be keeping tight hold of your stones.

I genuinely think this game has made you crack up a touch! ;)

Any chance of backing up some of the above? What did I spot about Tomkins?

These were my comments about Tomkins:

Must admit I wasn't happy with that at the time, I was just relieved he wasn't hurt.

then: I don't think it was great, and at the time (with beer and 3D goggles on) I was calling for him to be binned, but then I do think the slow motion replays make it seem worse. It was more the lateness for me, as I don't necessarily think he attacked Myler's head on purpose, although that was the outcome.

I would expect a warning about future conduct tbh.

followed by: As for Tomkins, like I said earlier, I was disappointed with it, and I didn't think there was any need, but let's see what the panel do, and I will accept that.

So from the above, how are your comments about me spotting Tomkins all manner fo dirty deeds? Seriously you need help, as you are reading stuff that isn't there.

Simply because we had a disagreement about Morley and a previous incident, you are too stubborn/stupid to have a sensible conversation about anything else, although that hardly worries me.

As for your pathetic comments about not attending games, I have addressed them elsewhere, and the point certainly isn't worth going over twice.

Edited by Dave T

Of FFS, here we go again.

Wigan Borough Population 305,600.

Wigan Town Population 81,203

Leigh Town Poulation 43,006

The Borough of Wigan is made up of other townships, Ashton, Standish and Shevington, Hindley, Atherton, Tyldsley, Aspull and Haigh, Golborne etc.

The other townships tend to be added to either Wigan or Leighs populations to give the Wigan Leigh split.

So it now appears that Warrington has over double the population to draw on than the town of Wigan, I gave you the simple breakdown given as a standard split used within Wigan Council.

The office of national stats takes figures for the whole borough by constituancy, you would have to work out where each consituancy was aligned to, Wigan or Leigh, then add up the totals.

When you understand how the stats are compiled and what the numbers you quote actually mean then get back.

ok using that theory, Warrington's in 80661.

but as you know padge you've always had bigger crowds, your boroughs prefer rugby to ours.

this has only come about as your fellow Wiganer (hanibal) said there are more fans walking out of wigan (wigan walk) than actual walk into warrington. (but thats not true!!)

i guess anyone can use stats to their advantage.

So, i think i'll call it a day, plus you are a smart ###### and never ever give up.

(i don't mind using up your time, i have plenty of time on my heads)

Edited by 1976PMJwires

this has only come about as your fellow Wiganer (hanibal) said there are more fans walking out of wigan (wigan walk) than actual walk into warrington. (but thats not true!!)

It's obviously true, whatever time they start walking out.

This raises some interesting issues.

1 - good to hear that the violence endemic in virtual Wazza streets did not spill over into virtual Wigan (I was going to write Wigga but I believe that may have other connotations).

3 - while the supporting cast has been doing a good job of giving vent to their anti-Wigan bile - Wigan walk tick, Sam absolutely dire player tick, Fielden cr.p tick, Joel a violent yob tick (let it all out) - the king of the stirrers is conspicuous by his absence. This coincides with Giwildgo's own absence, we all hope savouring every moment with a new baby pie. That prompts the inevitible thought - could GW amd Wendall be the same person and could Wendall be an imaginary figure of bitterness and stupidity created by him to make us all feel better about ourselves? If so, that is an act of genius.

:D

Anyone heard from giwldildo gwindywindy giwldydiddlythingy yet?

I listened to this match on Radio 5 and reckoned Warrington were going to win after Wigan didn't make enough of their opponents' appalling ball retention in the first half.

I suppose it keeps the top of the table close, but still a bit disappointing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Regarding the Quinns game, different marketing tactics for different games.

The North Stand for that game would have been closed due to the low number of opposition supporters. The marketing tactic was therefore to sell large bulk blocks of discounted tickets to sponsors and major employers in the borough and put them in the North stand, they could have done the same for the Warrington game but you lot would have moaned about no tickets being available.

18.5k with no away support, 22.5k with 4k away support, seems Wigan can get 18.5k Wiganers in the ground. How many other clubs can claim that.*

*Not Wigan supporters, their own supporters.

Yep, I'm aware of the tactics they used for the Quins game, and have been extremely impressed with the back-room staff at Wigan, my comments were purely based on a post6 about empty seats in the Wire end. Bot sets of fans got behind the game and the concept, and I don't think either club deserves criticism for getting the largest regular SL crowd of the year.