Cas and Wakey told to groundshare

Probably the only way that both clubs can retain their Super League places.

I think they may have to re-gain SL status after the next round of licences. Widnes would appear to be nailed on, but i wouldnt be suprised if the RFL look at dropping two teams or more.

It's going to have to be a quick feasability study.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

In my opinion if the Stadium is situated in the correct area then there is no reason why Castleford and Wakefield shouldn't share a stadium, this will enable valuable funds to be spent elsewhere e.g. schools etc.

However to say that they should be demoted to the championship is stupid. why? both clubs have proved that they are good enough contend in superleague. Both teams are fighting for the playoff places and to lose these teams will only cause the divide betweenoverall quality of SL to decrease.

If SL want new teams to be involved then demote the likes of salford who are always wollowing in the bottom 4.

"Quins are underfunded, and always have been. If they had more money then they would have better players -- and hence better on field results -- and that and a good marketing department could bring better crowds."

Excellent point......chuck more money at a poorly supported club to enable them to buy top austrailian players...stopping home grown tallent progressing.......give away free tickets to people who dont care about the game ----- Money pit comes to mind.

Seems like a logical move for all those people that think Wakefield and Castleford are the same place. Build it in Wakefield and Cas will wither, build it in Cas and the reverse will happen.

:rolleyes:

You best get a map to Richard Wright pronto!

Tigers Chief Executive Richard Wright said:

"The shared stadium is an exciting concept. We are pleased to see Wakefield MDC taking this strategic approach to stadium development in the district.

"We welcome the suggestion of an independent feasibility study approach and agree in principle that a shared stadium is the best option for both clubs and the community.

I think that the two clubs need to start thinking about a merger, because that stadium is not going to be started, let alone built, by early 2011. So both clubs face losing their SL licenses. We may see both of them in the Championship in 2012. I certainly hope so, because Widnes (somewhat) and Toulouse (massively) will bring more to the popularity and prosperity of the game from 2012 on --- as will Sheffield, London II, South Wales, Paris, and Lyon in later years.

It is still an open question as to whether Super League needs more than three West Yorkshire clubs. As I have long argued, as had Uncle Mo, as a concession to the fans, there could be a Calder United club in Super League. The compromise name could be Calder Trinity Tigers. They would then use one new 12,000 capacity stadium, as would both Wakefield and Castleford Championship teams.

<TROLL ALERT>

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

In my opinion if the Stadium is situated in the correct area then there is no reason why Castleford and Wakefield shouldn't share a stadium, this will enable valuable funds to be spent elsewhere e.g. schools etc.

I thought Wakefield's proposed stadium didn't require money from the public purse so not sure how this applies to them.

I'm personally not sure about having 2 SL clubs ground sharing in a licensing environment.

It just doesn't feel like 2 separate clubs if they play at a common place. It might be palatable for the Football League if each club can still draw 40k, but then again it is less releavnt as soccer is already played almost throughout the country. RL is trying to keep afloat/develop within the heartlands, and outside in Northern areas with no-RL and also outside the north. It smacks of reductionalism.

In a P&R environment it is less an issue.

Personally I would like to see them both get a new stadium, though Cas's current ground is much superior to Wakey's (and Bradford's) and comes across better on telly

One of them would have to go until they can get separate grounds. At the moment that would be Wakey as their stadium is all-in-all worst

I thought Wakefield's proposed stadium didn't require money from the public purse so not sure how this applies to them.

Neither are getting any direct funding from the local authority. They have both been loaned plot of land from which to raise capital against. The proposal put forward by Castleford shareholder/supporter/WMDC leader Peter Box is that these two plots of land will be combined to fund just one stadium and not two. Guess which stadium is short on the funding front?! Yep, Glasshoughton.

It is WMDC that have also delayed the Outline planning decision until September, it was due today.

By removing the plot of land from Newmarket makes that scheme unviable.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS

I think they may have to re-gain SL status after the next round of licences. Widnes would appear to be nailed on, but i wouldnt be suprised if the RFL look at dropping two teams or more.

Widnes replacing Salford would make more sense, unless Harlequins fold then they can replace them

There will be no London II until there is a rich benefactor found. Richard Lewis is looking for one. I hope he succeeds, because a local London derby should ignite much more local interest in rugby league in London.

If a rich benefactor can be found to run a thriving London club then it would make more sense that they'd replace the basketcase that is Quins

Neither are getting any direct funding from the local authority. They have both been loaned plot of land from which to raise capital against. The proposal put forward by Castleford shareholder/supporter/WMDC leader Peter Box is that these two plots of land will be combined to fund just one stadium and not two. Guess which stadium is short on the funding front?! Yep, Glasshoughton.

It is WMDC that have also delayed the Outline planning decision until September, it was due today.

By removing the plot of land from Newmarket makes that scheme unviable.

So, reading between the lines of your post, you are claiming that all this is to benefot Castleford and that's it?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

So, reading between the lines of your post, you are claiming that all this is to benefot Castleford and that's it?

I don't read it like that because benefot is not a word I understand.

If the boot was on the other foot, GH had the funding in place subject to planning permission but all of a sudden that was taken away for a

If the boot was on the other foot, GH had the funding in place subject to planning permission but all of a sudden that was taken away for a

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

This is a local issue for the fans of Wakey and Cas, other fans should butt out of any merger talks :rolleyes:

Everytime I see a thread like this I wonder how long until Salford get dragged into it. Again I wasn't disappointed.

Wasn't it Mr Box that pulled the council's support for the Clarence Park site (which they proposed and backed for three years)?

Not sure why?

If a rich benefactor can be found to run a thriving London club then it would make more sense that they'd replace the basketcase that is Quins

What odds on Lenighan senior buying Oxford Uniteds ground for his football team and Lenighan junior taking over his dads shares at Quins at some point in the future?