That Gamebreaking Tackle

Spot on. Great tackle, but Fox should have transfered the ball to his right hand and fended with his left. He'd have scored then. Poor play from Fox IMO, he bombed the try. But still a great effort from Briscoe.

That's the theory, but it's not quite as simple as that. If Fox was expecting the tackle to come in, he may have decided to keep the ball in his left so that if his body went out he could keep his arm, and the ball in and try and get the ball down before his body touched the line.

He may have got it wrong, but it's not always as black and white as what you are saying above. With hindsight, I agreed he made the wrong decision, but we shouldn't take anything away from Briscoe, as it was a brilliant tackle.

Like his try in Edinburgh, he has shown he can do things at pace that are pretty good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, absolutely terrific. A real, desperate "ball and all" job.

I'd pay a lot to see Briscoe doing that to an Aussie, with seconds left on the clock, with England leading in the Four Nations final.

Please make it happen!

I'd rather the game be already won with a few seconds on the clock - too many late heartbreakers from the Aussies in the past and unfortunately the likes of Inglis will not be as easy to stop for Briscoe as Fox was.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

top tackle :D

top game B)

top scrap :wub:

top derby :)

happy days :lol::lol:

We don't need two teams in Hull, all teams should be a minimum of 20 miles apart. Expansionism has no place for derbies.

These are the games that really show what RL is about...passion!

KR had butchered it before it even got that wide - the centres inside Fox should've straightened their lines, basic stuff.

Fox should've gone down earlier or at least tried to straighten up to allow mementum to take him forward, not to the sideline.

Briscoe got a lucky break with regards to the fact Fox didnt step, but his confidence had been shot from previous errors.

I think if Briscoe hadn't have made the tackle it'd have been poor. Most wingers worth their salt would've forced Fox in touch.

Ball in wrong hand also though, yeah.

PHOTO_6267313_7691_3768222_ap_320X240.jpg

So your love life wouldn't be affected?

:lol:

I think we can all agree we'd happily sacrifice Gledhill's arms if it meant we could beat the aussies though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

:lol:

I think we can all agree we'd happily sacrifice Gledhill's arms if it meant we could beat the aussies though.

I'll see that arm and raise you a left leg.

How many bits of Mick would we be prepared to sacrifice for a series wins over the aussies?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I'll see that arm and raise you a left leg.

How many bits of Mick would we be prepared to sacrifice for a series wins over the aussies?

Well his glasses can go, one owner, never used

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

That's the theory, but it's not quite as simple as that. If Fox was expecting the tackle to come in, he may have decided to keep the ball in his left so that if his body went out he could keep his arm, and the ball in and try and get the ball down before his body touched the line.

He may have got it wrong, but it's not always as black and white as what you are saying above. With hindsight, I agreed he made the wrong decision, but we shouldn't take anything away from Briscoe, as it was a brilliant tackle.

Like his try in Edinburgh, he has shown he can do things at pace that are pretty good.

You're spot on there, Dave. The winger makes the decision a few strides earlier - am I going to fend and force my way over or am I going to go for broke at the corner flag - and transfers the ball accordingly.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

You're spot on there, Dave. The winger makes the decision a few strides earlier - am I going to fend and force my way over or am I going to go for broke at the corner flag - and transfers the ball accordingly.

Yep, it's all well and good talking about the theory but plenty of plays that go on (and many of the best plays) are not text-book plays. Players make split-second decisons, and I think it is harsh to criticise Fox for this one.

I do agree with NE though that it was poor centre play, as he could have looked to pull the winger in and put Fox in, but I think the circumstances made him flap a touch.

What about your gut?

I think he "lets his gut go" on the slightest pretext.

Hat - check

Coat - check

Bye for now.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

KR had butchered it before it even got that wide - the centres inside Fox should've straightened their lines, basic stuff.

Fox should've gone down earlier or at least tried to straighten up to allow mementum to take him forward, not to the sideline.

Briscoe got a lucky break with regards to the fact Fox didnt step, but his confidence had been shot from previous errors.

I think if Briscoe hadn't have made the tackle it'd have been poor. Most wingers worth their salt would've forced Fox in touch.

Ball in wrong hand also though, yeah.

I thought the mistake was by whoever it was that supplied the final pass to Fox. He should have at least tried to draw the last man to give his winger much more space but he passed it almost as soon as he received it. If he had straightened and took the defender back in then it would have been a simple walk in. Belting tackle though.

I thought the mistake was by whoever it was that supplied the final pass to Fox. He should have at least tried to draw the last man to give his winger much more space but he passed it almost as soon as he received it. If he had straightened and took the defender back in then it would have been a simple walk in. Belting tackle though.

Agreed. KR seeemd too concenred on just shipping the ball out wide as fast as possible rather than doiong it properly and running the correct lines.

Tackle wasnt amazing - but he did pull it off and the last play of the game made Eddie and Steveo bang on about it like they'd witnessed a miracle.

If that'd been done in the middle of the game, it'd have been just another tackle into touch.

Agreed. KR seeemd too concenred on just shipping the ball out wide as fast as possible rather than doiong it properly and running the correct lines.

Tackle wasnt amazing - but he did pull it off and the last play of the game made Eddie and Steveo bang on about it like they'd witnessed a miracle.

If that'd been done in the middle of the game, it'd have been just another tackle into touch.

Surely that's what sport is all about though, getting excited and winning or losing being decided by individual plays?

I do still think you are under-selling the quality of the tackle somewhat though. It wasn't just a standard tackle, the way he controlled Fox at pace was very good, and he had good upper body strength and awareness.

Agreed Dave - if you're intent on belittling every other club then you can pick a fault in every single amazing bit of Rugby seen - yes even the Aussie stuff

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I do still think you are under-selling the quality of the tackle somewhat though. It wasn't just a standard tackle, the way he controlled Fox at pace was very good, and he had good upper body strength and awareness.

plus, it's not like fox was tight on the touchline, he a a fair way to actually move him.

foxes or poor people?

plus, it's not like fox was tight on the touchline, he a a fair way to actually move him.

Yep, I think that's where the upper body strength really came in, had he just gone for a standard tackle, Fox would have been in, he had to wrap the ball up as well as knock Fox sideways.

It was anything but a standard tackle, and the more I see him the more he impresses me.

Yep, I think that's where the upper body strength really came in, had he just gone for a standard tackle, Fox would have been in, he had to wrap the ball up as well as knock Fox sideways.

It was anything but a standard tackle, and the more I see him the more he impresses me.

Great technique from Briscoe, I also noticed that he'd clamped fox's arm to stop him from scoring, fantastic tackle, should be used on a coaching dvd.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Surely that's what sport is all about though, getting excited and winning or losing being decided by individual plays?

Well, he pushed him into touch.

Spot on Dave, Briscoe's technique was superb. He managed to hit Fox low and still carry on driving with his legs.

As Johhny Whiteley said on local radio after the game, Briscoe continues to astound.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

What about your gut?

I'd happily donate that :D

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Spot on Dave, Briscoe's technique was superb. He managed to hit Fox low and still carry on driving with his legs.

As Johhny Whiteley said on local radio after the game, Briscoe continues to astound.

I dont think anyone is saying the tackle wasnt magnificent, at least they shouldnt be as it was superb. But he really shouldnt have been able to make it, if the passer had drew him in Fox should have had a walk in.