3D RL

Well... I was absolutely blown away!

Unbelievable stuff! When we got to the bar, it took them 5 minutes or so to sort it out and it wasn't working so we had resigned ourselves to watching it on normal Sky, and then it came on. WOW!

It was absolutely brilliant! I had heard plenty of opinions that it was no big deal, but I loved it. The clarity, the quality, the vibrance, it was world class, and it really is going to change the way we watch TV!

Anyone else get round to watching 3D?

Well... I was absolutely blown away!

Unbelievable stuff! When we got to the bar, it took them 5 minutes or so to sort it out and it wasn't working so we had resigned ourselves to watching it on normal Sky, and then it came on. WOW!

It was absolutely brilliant! I had heard plenty of opinions that it was no big deal, but I loved it. The clarity, the quality, the vibrance, it was world class, and it really is going to change the way we watch TV!

Anyone else get round to watching 3D?

I have seen it, though not rugby league and only in a TV electronics store.

However it is obviously the wave of the future.

You can also watch 3D on a 3D Blu Ray with a 3D capable TV.

However we need to pressure the RFL and NRL to start issuing their videos in a 3D Blu Ray format, as well as in regular 2D Blu Ray, and regular 2D DVD. But I suspect the idea of producing videos in three formats is too complicated for the average rugby league administrator's mind.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Absolutely brilliant. Really put to good use in rugby league as well. I can't think of many forms of entertainment more suited to 3D than RL.

You have to have the right view though to get the best of it but it's the future.

Absolutely brilliant. Really put to good use in rugby league as well. I can't think of many forms of entertainment more suited to 3D than RL.

You have to have the right view though to get the best of it but it's the future.

I agree. At half time they showed other sports and I do agree that RL looked poissibly the best, although there were some good football shots around the goalmouth.

We were quite lucky in that the venue we went to was empty and they put two large screens on for us but I think you may be right about needing a good angle/view.

I thought it was a touch weird at first with some of the new camera angles, and was slightly like watching last years Grand Final when they tried the new scrolling camera thing. Some of the shots were a touch too far out too, although I suppose that was to give it depth.

When Carney and O'Connor were on the pitch at half time, they looked super-imposed, it was freaky stuff at times! I loved it!

I've not had the chance to watch any sport in 3D yet but I was of the opinion that filming any sport in 3D was a waste of time. I say that because films made for 3D viewing have scenes in then that are specifically made to be viewed in 3D whereas a sporting event would be what it is. Live events with no action designed to be specifically viewed in 3D. I was expecting 3D moments only when the ball is kicked or hit directly at a camera or if a player was moving straight towards a camera. It appears that I was wrong and the few comments from people who watched the game seem in favour of the concept. I must add though that we've had 3D on radio Humberside/KCFM for years. ;)

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

I've not had the chance to watch any sport in 3D yet but I was of the opinion that filming any sport in 3D was a waste of time. I say that because films made for 3D viewing have scenes in then that are specifically made to be viewed in 3D whereas a sporting event would be what it is. Live events with no action designed to be specifically viewed in 3D. I was expecting 3D moments only when the ball is kicked or hit directly at a camera or if a player was moving straight towards a camera. It appears that I was wrong and the few comments from people who watched the game seem in favour of the concept.

Yep, I was a bit like you, thinking that it would just be the novelty stuff like the kicks, but it was almost every shot from almost every angle (one or two very quick replays were in normal).

When they were showing close up replays in slowmotion ie a big hit, it was brilliant. I loved HD when it came out, but this is far more revolutionary.

I thought it was pretty good. It definitely got you engrossed in the game, normally I drift in and out of games when watching in the pub, but no this one!

On the negative side, I would have enjoyed it more had they used the normal camera angles. They obviously had the cameras in different places to the ones being used on standard Sky. I watched a bit of the replay when I got home and think the normal positioning is better.

I can defo see this as the future tho, I think its the Autumn when Sky 3D launches for your home.

Also, lets not forget the biggest benefit that 3D brought us ...................... no Eddie & Stevo! We got Bill Arthurs, Phil Clarke, Brian Carney etc.!! Some of the 2Ders maybe able to confirm, but i'm guessing the summarisers were used in the 2D version as well, with only the main commentry being different??

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I too wasn't expecting much but.....WOW! it's as if there's a mini stadium inside the telly, depth was amazing. Like BP said though, you need to be at eye level with the set and we all ended up stood on the chairs in the pub as the TV was mounted high in the corner and everything appeared out of focus when sat down.

Best bit was when Matt King ran into the camera near the end, nearly fell off my chair!

Not seen it yet but hoping to get to see a match this season, I presume sky will show some more games. Did I hear right last night that darts will be the next sport to get the 3D treatment? That wont go well, not sure I wanna see that lot in glorious 3D, guts and all.

Not seen it yet but hoping to get to see a match this season, I presume sky will show some more games. Did I hear right last night that darts will be the next sport to get the 3D treatment? That wont go well, not sure I wanna see that lot in glorious 3D, guts and all.

There was a wire fan jumping around with his dart player physique on show in a crowd shot last night, wasn't pretty and definitely one of 3DTV's big drawbacks!

It was really cool but there were teething problems, mainly coming from the pubs!

The first one we went had ran out of glasses, which was pathetic seeing as though they only had about 20 people in there watching. The second had placed it in the top corner of the room and it was only after about 60 minutes that I figured out you needed to watch it at eye level to see it in 3D, so we spent the rest of the time stood on the seats. Most watching had long left the pub at this point thinking 3D was either rubbish or it didn't work in that pub.

Loved the camera angles, like Dave said, it was like the Grand Final where they change the angle but it actually works in 3D.

The 3D was fantastic. Really helps you see where the gaps are down the line from the touchline angle. That's where the perspective comes in best and where RL will benefit from this sort of technology. I can see in the future when they analyse games they might superimpose presenters onto the pitch so they can walk around and show gaps, etc. That would be cool!

The only issue I had was the number of angles. There were very few. I'm not sure how many cameras they had, but it definitely wasn't as much as the normal cameras.

We watched it in the Skyrack in Leeds, and unfortunately didn't really get to listen to the commentary because they had the normal broadcast on on the other TVs so they had that sound on. Unfortunately this didn't match up well with the 3D broadcast, because when they were talking about replays in that game, the 3D feed kept live. The only thing that really annoyed me to be fair, and I'll be finding another pub to watch it in 3D in the future if they keep the normal sound on in the background.

Apart from that, very good. It's the future. A good pilot. A few things they'll need to improve on, but in a few years time I really think TV will be immense!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It was really cool but there were teething problems, mainly coming from the pubs!

The first one we went had ran out of glasses, which was pathetic seeing as though they only had about 20 people in there watching. The second had placed it in the top corner of the room and it was only after about 60 minutes that I figured out you needed to watch it at eye level to see it in 3D, so we spent the rest of the time stood on the seats. Most watching had long left the pub at this point thinking 3D was either rubbish or it didn't work in that pub.

Loved the camera angles, like Dave said, it was like the Grand Final where they change the angle but it actually works in 3D.

Disagree with the above about the angles. We watched it from way below the screen and it was awesome. You really don't need to be at screen level, and I would be checking with the pub that they had it set up right if that was the case. We couldn't have reached the screen, so it was at least 9ft up on the wall.

The only issue I had was the number of angles. There were very few. I'm not sure how many cameras they had, but it definitely wasn't as much as the normal cameras.

We watched it in the Skyrack in Leeds, and unfortunately didn't really get to listen to the commentary because they had the normal broadcast on on the other TVs so they had that sound on. Unfortunately this didn't match up well with the 3D broadcast, because when they were talking about replays in that game, the 3D feed kept live. The only thing that really annoyed me to be fair, and I'll be finding another pub to watch it in 3D in the future if they keep the normal sound on in the background.

Apart from that, very good. It's the future. A good pilot. A few things they'll need to improve on, but in a few years time I really think TV will be immense!

I didn't see an issue with the angles at all. Almost every angle was 3D, with only one or two replays in standard.

Also, with regards to the sound, we had the same issue, and whilst we may have missed some things, it took us ages to realise that they had the wrong commentary on and it certainly wasn't an issue. In fact, it was during the half time interviews we realised.

I'd rather just go to the game.

Well, thanks for your post but it is completely irrelevant to the thread. I assume you went to the match, so haven't seen 3D RL. Why did you feel it necessary to post such a ###### opinion on it?

Not everyone wanted to go on Friday, or indeed could attend, so your comments weren't really useful when discussing 3D.

Wonder if some 3D abuse will come my way now.

Well, thanks for your post but it is completely irrelevant to the thread. I assume you went to the match, so haven't seen 3D RL. Why did you feel it necessary to post such a ###### opinion on it?

Not everyone wanted to go on Friday, or indeed could attend, so your comments weren't really useful when discussing 3D.

Yeah, there's this whole thing called the home market, I mean its a bit unreasonable for idiots to expect everyone to attend every game in RL, it's sort of impossible. 3D rugby though, next best thing. It's almost like being there.

Does anyone know if there are any more 3D matches scheduled? I missed this one cos my mate let me down at the last minute.

Only the GF so far Gaz

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Can't remember the last time you actually posted anything about going to a game.

You are Warrington's version of NE.

Yeah, there's this whole thing called the home market, I mean its a bit unreasonable for idiots to expect everyone to attend every game in RL, it's sort of impossible. 3D rugby though, next best thing. It's almost like being there.

People talk about RL being a game that is perfect for television. 3D is just going to make that even more so. I honestly don't think any other sport will be suited to 3D as RL is.

The views were the same sort of views you get when you're at a game but better because you can't move around at a game and see close ups of the action.

Nothing will ever replace watching a game live but this is going to come damn close.

I didn't see an issue with the angles at all. Almost every angle was 3D, with only one or two replays in standard.

That's not what I meant. I meant that there were more camera angles on the normal broadcast compared to the 3D broadcast, not that the 3D broadcast was broadcasting standard angles.

We had our 3D screen near the normal broadcast, and you could see them using far more angles on that broadcast than you could on the 3D broadcast.

Also, with regards to the sound, we had the same issue, and whilst we may have missed some things, it took us ages to realise that they had the wrong commentary on and it certainly wasn't an issue. In fact, it was during the half time interviews we realised.

It was a bit irritating that they were talking about replays that weren't being showed in 3D. If we're going to go out of our way to watch the game in superb picture quality with an extra dimension, you kinda suspect that that sort of demographic would also want the best audio options available also! :D

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Can't remember the last time you actually posted anything about going to a game.

You are Warrington's version of NE.

Not that this post is worthy of a reply, but simply to highlight how stupid your post was, here goes.

I live in Edinburgh however still have a season ticket so the club gets my money. I have attended several games this year at considerable expense, and attended my last game just a couple of weeks ago in Wrexham. Try reading some of the threads instead of looking to make racist remarks to the Aussies or being a smart-###### and you will see me commenting on plenty of games I attend.

Hope that's okay with you, let me know if not.

So what are your thoughts on 3D RL, or are you just here to sidetrack threads you are clueless about?

Seriously, why did you post on this thread?

Edited by Dave T