Quins..

There was talk of Quins RL playing at the olympic stadium after the 2012 Olympics, but haven't heard anything of late.

if that did happen they could call themselves London Olympians Rugby League Club. a big plus for Rugby League IMHO which would make more people aware that Rugby League is played in London at the olympic stadium.

It's a nice idea (and I've thought that name would be great previously) but West Ham may move there and with the football season starting ever earlier I think they'd be too much overlap before you even consider rental costs etc. Plus a few of the GP RU clubs have already been sniffing around too.

2aaca-285.gif

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish. Its a flawless stadium. On a retail park (not industrial!) like most new stadii. And a short bus ride from the pubs of Bletchley and Fenny Stratford, which are traditional English town areas of MK. It would be the smartist move London RL ever made IF it happens. On the M1, 45 miles nearer the north and a proper local market to sell to.

If it happened, it might be the smartest move Bronquins ever made but you could hardly say the same for London RL. Milton Keynes is not only outside London, it isn't even in the South East.

If it happened, it might be the smartest move Bronquins ever made but you could hardly say the same for London RL. Milton Keynes is not only outside London, it isn't even in the South East.

Milton Keynes is in the South East it is only 50 miles from London.

Technically speaking it is, the South East has a strange border that includes the Thames Valley area.

It's a nice idea (and I've thought that name would be great previously) but West Ham may move there and with the football season starting ever earlier I think they'd be too much overlap before you even consider rental costs etc. Plus a few of the GP RU clubs have already been sniffing around too.

if West Ham move in they wont share with a union club as the wont want the pitch carved up, which the union game will do. IF they have share, they would sooner share with a Rugby League club as Rugby League does even less damage to a pitch that Soccer, and a majority of the Rugby League games would be played in the Soccer off season.

if West Ham move in they wont share with a union club as the wont want the pitch carved up, which the union game will do. IF they have share, they would sooner share with a Rugby League club as Rugby League does even less damage to a pitch that Soccer, and a majority of the Rugby League games would be played in the Soccer off season.

If West Ham move in they want it keeping/developing into a 55/60000 seater stadium which would make it a waste of time for Quins anyway

If West Ham move in they want it keeping/developing into a 55/60000 seater stadium which would make it a waste of time for Quins anyway

who knows, perhaps a move to the Olympic stadium might be the catalyst that brings in a lot more supporters to watch Qunins RL, or what ever they will be known as then.

50,000 more fans??? :rolleyes:

not overnight, but from little acorns mighty oaks do grow. i think Quins RL as they are known today have possibly one more move to get it right in London. i dont think gates are going to get much better if at all at the Stoop. the options as i see it for them are a move to the olympic stadium after 2012, or a move to a west London soccer staduim. i did live in London for a while a few years back, and i must admit that when the London Bronco's as they were then started playing out of the valley i did think that Rugby League in London would take off, sadly i was wrong.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I have heard that quins are to play at least two games at MK Dons next season. Someone else also very close to Red Hall said they will re locate to there.

Typical Wakefield fan - taking pride in another club's downwards spiral even though it's on a par with their own.

I would be reluctantly waving goodbye if it ever became a permanent move

Could not agree more.

Maybe a game on the road I could run with.

Will have to wait and see what David Hughes has to say at the next fans forum.

To be fair to him if he thinks its the way forward and he is the only investror I can

understand why he would look after his own interests.

But from my point of view if we are not London playing in London or its confines its end of.

Also there is plenty to watch down here all be it at the lower level at Eastern Raiders, Hainault,

Greenwich and of course those up and coming in the London Junior League such as Brentwood Elvers.

If Quins go it will be a blow but not a knock out punch.

If anybody doubts the commitment of some (not me I might add in recent times ) in London they should have been at The Stoop yesterday for the London Junior League finals It was a pleasure to behold and a clear indicator that London has a lot to offer to Rl.

And besides if I want to watch Super League perhaps I can have a very occasional jolly to Catalans or maybe a Championship away weekend in Toulouse.

Edited by Spicer

It won't fly. People would confuse them with another Super League franchise -- Toulouse Olympique -- who may drop out of the Championship in 2011 so as to qualify for a Super League license under the category of a "foreign club invited."

Olympique Miltonaise, peut

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

not overnight, but from little acorns mighty oaks do grow. i think Quins RL as they are known today have possibly one more move to get it right in London. i dont think gates are going to get much better if at all at the Stoop. the options as i see it for them are a move to the olympic stadium after 2012, or a move to a west London soccer staduim. i did live in London for a while a few years back, and i must admit that when the London Bronco's as they were then started playing out of the valley i did think that Rugby League in London would take off, sadly i was wrong.

problem is with the little acorns dity is that most of them dont grow at all..

A large olympic stadium would be a bad move IMO... MK may just work, Oxford may well be better though.

As someone who sometime ago posted the idea of Milton Keynes as a potential venue for Rugby League. If you were starting from scratch on this forum. I am not surprised this has come up.

As the only poster to have watched a "rugby" match at MK Dons - Saracens v Bristol in May 2008 IIRC I would point out that Saracens got a crowd of 10,000 for a nothing game when they averaged about 7,800. The Stadium is superb and is located between Bletchley and Milton Keynes and has good transport links to the North. it's a growing area with little top flight sport so the paralell is with Wrexham.

That said all this has come about because Harlequins are in a bind over the Warrington game on September 4th. With Twickenham booked for the London Double Header and over 60,000 plus due to be present . The landlords may require the overspill car parking ruling out the Saturday at the Stoop and before some enter on an anti-RU rant the Metropolitan Police may also insist on this. Sunday is the Wimmins Rugby Union World Cup Final - I am sure of great interest to you all ;) - which rules out that day.

To announce Friday night now means

* Cheesing off Wire fans who have bought cheap return tickets on Virgin trains for the Saturday 3.00pm kickoff

* Ditto Harlequins fans like myself who can just about stomach the ONE Friday night per season.

Much better to blame it al on SKY moving the game to 8.00pm on the Friday to cover the Wire's push for one of the top two spots and two bites of the cherry* in the playoffs.

A cunning plan which Baldrick would have been proud of by Quins....

* Maybe two bites of the Cherry & Whites....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

50k+ stadiums is crazy talk considering even if everything went swimmingly they'd never even average half of that.

Personally I'd like to see the ownership sorted out before deciding on venues, no point being tied into somewhere then a new owner having a completely different strategy.

If they are to stay in London there are plenty of small to medium football clubs who'd be looking for more income I am sure, a return to The Valley even, Charlton must be feeling the pinch as another season in League 1 looms and there's plenty going on at a junior or amateur level round about (or the used to be way back when when I lived in that neck of the woods!).

Milton Keynes might have made sense 10 years ago - for all the reasons listed previously - but it now has its own (stolen!) soccer team for the population to gather round. I doubt there will be much spectator or business support left over for a relocating RL team with no money to spend on marketing and promotions.

If you want some more baseless rumours, Hemel Hempstead council is planning to build a 6,000 capacity stadium with room for expansion to 12,000.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

50k+ stadiums is crazy talk considering even if everything went swimmingly they'd never even average half of that.

Personally I'd like to see the ownership sorted out before deciding on venues, no point being tied into somewhere then a new owner having a completely different strategy.

If they are to stay in London there are plenty of small to medium football clubs who'd be looking for more income I am sure, a return to The Valley even, Charlton must be feeling the pinch as another season in League 1 looms and there's plenty going on at a junior or amateur level round about (or the used to be way back when when I lived in that neck of the woods!).

problem with football clubs is that they are not always looking for more income.. they are looking for more profit.. opening up the ground for RL in the summer also costs money so the income has to outweigh these costs.. that means taking gate money, taking bar profits, or charging very high rent.. maybe too high for the club to stomach.. they need the summer to sort the pitch out etc as well so at some point the RL team will have to go on the road.. i would love to see them back at the valley, its the best ground outside of zone 1 and 2 which isnt actually that far away and easily accesible a few stops down from london bridge and waterloo (would only be annoyed as i would have loved it there when i lived in blackheath and my bro lived in charlton! but no they were at griffin bloody park then!)

MK is not a bad idea i see how it could work well and how it could grow.. the football club is doing ok but notpulling up any trees so i dont see that being that big an issue and not only that but again this sport is played at a different time so the two could actually have quite a nice tie up.. a small overlap period yes but not major and the two could live quite happily side by side.. it would just be sad to see the London club leave london really IMO

problem with football clubs is that they are not always looking for more income.. they are looking for more profit.. opening up the ground for RL in the summer also costs money so the income has to outweigh these costs.. that means taking gate money, taking bar profits, or charging very high rent.. maybe too high for the club to stomach.. they need the summer to sort the pitch out etc as well so at some point the RL team will have to go on the road.. i would love to see them back at the valley, its the best ground outside of zone 1 and 2 which isnt actually that far away and easily accesible a few stops down from london bridge and waterloo (would only be annoyed as i would have loved it there when i lived in blackheath and my bro lived in charlton! but no they were at griffin bloody park then!)

MK is not a bad idea i see how it could work well and how it could grow.. the football club is doing ok but notpulling up any trees so i dont see that being that big an issue and not only that but again this sport is played at a different time so the two could actually have quite a nice tie up.. a small overlap period yes but not major and the two could live quite happily side by side.. it would just be sad to see the London club leave london really IMO

RP - Have you been to Tooting & Mitcham's ground? Is it suitable for SL? Or could it be with extra temporary stands?

Not much top notch soccer in the area

RP - Have you been to Tooting & Mitcham's ground? Is it suitable for SL? Or could it be with extra temporary stands?

no not been to that one to be honest..

i would be surpised if it were suitable but it would be an interesting option if they could easily get it up to it..

no not been to that one to be honest..

i would be surpised if it were suitable but it would be an interesting option if they could easily get it up to it..

Definitely. There is quite a suprising vast swathe of working class areas (e.g. Sutton, Carshalton, Mitcham and even Croydon) around that area all the way down to the posher bits near the southern fringe of the M25. A very large untapped population

Just looking around the stadium has a capacity of 3,500 with 612 seats.

Is it you who says that Leyton Orient could be a good base, as their stadium looks quite ok with a decent capacity?