Protecting the "little" players.

Nathan Brown had his say a couple of months back but it would appear nothing has changed on the evidence of last night. Last nights wigan v wire game was a classic for R.L fans with some huge hits but one cowardly act soured it for me. If Joel Tomkins gets away with anything less than a 4 match ban for his thuggish late elbow into Mylers face then the R.F.L aren't serious about protecting our fine young talents. A big hit face to face is one thing but coming four yards to drop into someones face when they can't protect themselves is totally unacceptable. It's now or never for the disciplinary panel to lay down a marker and protect talents like Myler.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathan Brown had his say a couple of months back but it would appear nothing has changed on the evidence of last night. Last nights wigan v wire game was a classic for R.L fans with some huge hits but one cowardly act soured it for me. If Joel Tomkins gets away with anything less than a 4 match ban for his thuggish late elbow into Mylers face then the R.F.L aren't serious about protecting our fine young talents. A big hit face to face is one thing but coming four yards to drop into someones face when they can't protect themselves is totally unacceptable. It's now or never for the disciplinary panel to lay down a marker and protect talents like Myler.

Must admit I wasn't happy with that at the time, I was just relieved he wasn't hurt.

They do seem to have had a clamp down on the hitting the player after they have passed the ball though, which you can't really argue with, there were three penalties for it last night.

Joel was a silly silly boy, i'll be happy for the RFL to decide.

but i'm not happy with him. (but he was born in Warrington we'll let him off)

I don't think it was great, and at the time (with beer and 3D goggles on) I was calling for him to be binned, but then I do think the slow motion replays make it seem worse. It was more the lateness for me, as I don't necessarily think he attacked Myler's head on purpose, although that was the outcome.

I would expect a warning about future conduct tbh.

I don't think it was great, and at the time (with beer and 3D goggles on) I was calling for him to be binned, but then I do think the slow motion replays make it seem worse. It was more the lateness for me, as I don't necessarily think he attacked Myler's head on purpose, although that was the outcome.

agree and agree.

Just hope this thread doesn't get out of hand.

agree and agree.

Just hope this thread doesn't get out of hand.

Yep, that's why I am being quite restrained on the thread, and couldn't possibly get way with some of the expressions I used live at the time! -_-

Yep, that's why I am being quite restrained on the thread, and couldn't possibly get way with some of the expressions I used live at the time! -_-

yep all the way with that comment...........my mrs has just asked "why are you laughing"......and i answered "because i'll start ranting about that tackle last night" :O

I was interested in the technique used by Warrington when charging the kicker.

Basically they lifted their leg and aimed to make contact with the hip. Now to me, this wouldn't be allowed in a normal tackle so why should it be allowed on a kicker?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Stones, glass, houses etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Judging by how the disciplinary panel operates Myler will be cautioned for staying on the ground too long.

It was a very late tackle that was uncalled for and Tomkins should be banned.

Stones, glass, houses etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Oh give over.

This is a talking point and a stand alone incident of the match, when Leeds do it we rightly chastise them.

We can only comment on something our team hasn't done? Fine. Congrats Wire on winning! :D

Slow-motion made it seem worse but I thought it may have been grounds for an 8-point try.

Oh give over.

This is a talking point and a stand alone incident of the match, when Leeds do it we rightly chastise them.

We can only comment on something our team hasn't done? Fine. Congrats Wire on winning! :D

Slow-motion made it seem worse but I thought it may have been grounds for an 8-point try.

Carvell on Tomkins?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Carvell on Tomkins?

Was that the one two minutes into the game? :unsure: I'll admit I fell asleep soon after the second half started, and woke to see Richard's 80m try, I wasn't bored, just very tired! So I'm watching it again soon so I can fill in the 20 minute or so blanks!!

All the late challenges on the kickers/passers were daft but penalised, some should've had cards but that was Silverwood's discretion. I think J Tomkins should've at least been penalised but seeing a penatly after a try is very rare.

My mine gripe was rather than challenging or debating the point, you just highlighted dirty Leeds. You're better than that old boy, you have a beard!

And every kick? Have a look through the "challenges" after Wigan's kicks and come back to us.

This one eyed hysteria takes the biscuit doesn't it? At full speed it wasn't clear he had grounded the ball, as he slid over with it above him so Joel was right to try to challenge. He's a big lad sliding at speed.

Glass houses doesn't come close.

Was that the one two minutes into the game? :unsure: I'll admit I fell asleep soon after the second half started, and woke to see Richard's 80m try, I wasn't bored, just very tired! So I'm watching it again soon so I can fill in the 20 minute or so blanks!!

All the late challenges on the kickers/passers were daft but penalised, some should've had cards but that was Silverwood's discretion. I think J Tomkins should've at least been penalised but seeing a penatly after a try is very rare.

My mine gripe was rather than challenging or debating the point, you just highlighted dirty Leeds. You're better than that old boy, you have a beard!

I am not debating the point with someone who doesn't want to debate.

If he had also highlighted Anderson or Morley on Leuluai or Morley on Tomkins apart from the one I previously mentioned then I would believe he wanted a debate. It was a very poor fishing attempt.

Edited by Padge

And every kick? Have a look through the "challenges" after Wigan's kicks and come back to us.

This one eyed hysteria takes the biscuit doesn't it? At full speed it wasn't clear he had grounded the ball, as he slid over with it above him so Joel was right to try to challenge. He's a big lad sliding at speed.

Glass houses doesn't come close.

Me?

I'm not one-eyed, I wasn't fussed who's going to win*. I've bigger RL based problems closer to home. I'll concede slow-motion and wet weather made it look worse, but it was still late.

I've made comment on the late challenges, and Carvell's hit on Tomkins IMO would've been binned if not for being 2 minutes into the game, this is wrong, but it happened.

*and this 'everyone hates Wigan' self-defence excuse is boring.

I am not debating the point with someone who doesn't want to debate.

If he had also highlighted Anderson or Morley on Leuluai or Morley on Tomkins apart from the one I previously mentioned then I would believe he wanted a debate. It was a very poor fishing attempt.

Boooooooooo!

Boooooooooo!

Wot you booin' at?

Most late hits are as a result of the defender trying to put preasure on the kicker or tackle the ball carrier, they then (wrongly) decide to hit the player once the ball has gone. What was tomkins trying to do? dislodge a ball with his forearm? of all the late hits in the game, easily the worst one and deserves a ban to try and help eradicate such incidents from the game, its tough enough as it is.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

You's gone all wussy, rip NE-lite a new 'un.

I thnk you're confusing me with someone else, Ed sommert or other perhaps?

Edited by Padge

Me?

I'm not one-eyed, I wasn't fussed who's going to win*. I've bigger RL based problems closer to home. I'll concede slow-motion and wet weather made it look worse, but it was still late.

I've made comment on the late challenges, and Carvell's hit on Tomkins IMO would've been binned if not for being 2 minutes into the game, this is wrong, but it happened.

*and this 'everyone hates Wigan' self-defence excuse is boring.

You're not one-eyed at all. It was the bell end who started the thread. I should have quoted him. Soz.

Think there is a difference in a late charge and what Tomkins did to Myler. He had scored, was lying on the ground and Tomkins dived in with a forearm to the head. Yes, it should have been an 8 point try and Tomkins should get cited and banned.