Wigan have snared the Melbourne Storm trio. Who can stop Wigan?

wigan have replaced their current imports with far better ones

proven performers

even better is they know the coach and respect him so theyll perform

can only make wigan stronger

thats if you actually care about on field results

:lol:

I don't care about the result, I pay for two teams to entertain me. If both teams deliver than I'm happy and the result is just a by product.

I've done enough winning to last most RL fans a lifetime and beyond, its nice to let someone else to have a go at worrying about results.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Saints fans should not speak too soon - lets see who they sign to replace Fa'asavalu following his defection to Quins RU first !

Word is that its Louis McCarthy Scarisbrook. Thats fine by me

It's basically 3 of his mates on an elongated holiday.

Look at Dallas Johnson. Awesome at the Storm - ###### at Catalans.

Agree, a mate of mine who moved to Melbourne told me last year that Dallas Johnson was a shoe-in for MOS this season in SL. Bet Hoffman is just as "awesome"

How much will you bet on that? I would be delighted to take you up on it if you're seriously suggesting that Hoffman will have as little impact for us next year as Dallas has had with the Catalans. Indeed, I would bite your hand off.

The evidence suggests MM knows what he is doing, given what he has achieved with the limited squad he has inherited. The evidence suggests he ought to know the Melbourne players pretty well.

If Saints had signed these players (assuming Graham stays which is of course a big assumption), then their supporters would be right to question them.

Having watched a lot of LMS, and loving him dearly, I think he is a lot more of a Sykes than a Morley of a signing. Lima is much much better.

Good to excellent players signed by a coach that knows them inside out, addressing obvious needs. It's what every club wants to hear.

How much will you bet on that? I would be delighted to take you up on it if you're seriously suggesting that Hoffman will have as little impact for us next year as Dallas has had with the Catalans. Indeed, I would bite your hand off.

The evidence suggests MM knows what he is doing, given what he has achieved with the limited squad he has inherited. The evidence suggests he ought to know the Melbourne players pretty well.

If Saints had signed these players (assuming Graham stays which is of course a big assumption), then their supporters would be right to question them.

Having watched a lot of LMS, and loving him dearly, I think he is a lot more of a Sykes than a Morley of a signing. Lima is much much better.

Good to excellent players signed by a coach that knows them inside out, addressing obvious needs. It's what every club wants to hear.

I'll quite happily bet that Hoffman has a similar impact to Johnson. Firstly because he isnt as good a player as Johnson and secondly, if its true that he has only signed a one year deal then he isnt interested enough to give it a good enough go in SL.

I do agree MM "appears" to know what he is doing but for me he would have been better placed putting his faith in the likes of Mossop to replace Bailey and promoting the next youngster.

Good to excellent players signed by a coach

We still on about the same 3 or have you signed others since?

:D

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

wigan have replaced their current imports with far better ones

proven performers

even better is they know the coach and respect him so theyll perform

can only make wigan stronger

thats if you actually care about on field results

:lol:

Shallow mate, very shallow.

I'll put it down to you being a result of the poor Australian education system.

Classic.

Only in Wigan can their krank fans dupe themselves into thinking that import a 'better class' of Christmas turkies be preferable on bringing through their 'world beating ' youth setup.

As for making no sense, that really is the pot calling the kettle black.

See you in 3 months when your side bottle it.

I'm not duping myself into anything.

I don't want them, and I don't feel myself up at the thought of any random Australian.

Isn't it time you went back to watching union?

It's basically 3 of his mates on an elongated holiday.

Look at Dallas Johnson. Awesome at the Storm - ###### at Catalans.

Yeah, agreed, I mean look at Greg Eastwood.

Fat and useless in Australia, and erm.....er...fat and useless in England.

:rolleyes:

I don't care about the result, I pay for two teams to entertain me. If both teams deliver than I'm happy and the result is just a by product.

I've done enough winning to last most RL fans a lifetime and beyond, its nice to let someone else to have a go at worrying about results.

so as long as wigan play exciting football with local players but lose their games, you are happy?

i pay to watch my team win every game

it must be an australian thing i guess, wanting our teams to win

Hoffman is class, Finch is decent but can be frustrating. Lima is a journey man, so it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled.

Carn Cronulla!

I also think coaches sign players what they can bring off the field.

Many of the Storm boys have said that Finch has been a brilliant guy to have around the club since he arrived - he's a real joker/character who lightens things up a bit.

Hoffman is first class in every respect.

Don't know much about Lima, but I'm sure Maguire does.

I imagine he's signed them because he thinks they'll be a good 'fit' for Wigan, off the field as well as on it.

Dallas Johnson has struggled in a struggling side with a coach who doesnt seem to know his ###### from his elbow to be fair.. to compare that to Hoffman who will be playing in a strong team with a coach that knows how to bring the best out of him is unfair IMHO.

Hoffman should succeed.. if he does not he will be arguably a bigger flop than Johnson who could have played his best RL ever and still be looking a bit rubbish.. offlaods only work if people are there, big tackles only work if you follow it up with another 4 etc etc..

Finch.. will do a job, it is a shame there isnt ayoungster to jump in here but i would rather thake him than riddell if i were a wigan fan, i think he will add more and is a better fit into the Leuluia (sp) tomkins mix if tommy moves to 9..

lima.. again will do a job, and will hopefully help to bring on some newere prop forwards.. the youngsters may well be a couple of years away from becoming props, farrell etc are second rows at the moment size wise and need ot bulk up.. getting someone like Lima will help give them the year or so to do this and learn off him.. he has a 3 year contract but by the 3rd year would expect him to be coming off the bench in a few games but not much more as the other payers come thorugh.. better they learn off him than Coley FFS!

reading michael maguires column in big league magazine i always knew he would be a good coach

the way he explained the modern game was brilliant

shane flanagan has taken over from him and in comparison hes a major dud, and hes the current cronulla coach

wouldnt surprise me to see nrl clubs chasing him

I remain puzzled by some of the suggestions on here that these are duds. I was reading my Gillette year book last night only to discover that Hoffman and Lima both played in the 4 Nations LAST YEAR. Unless I picked up the wrong book we seem to have -

in the blue corner McGuire, Australian and Kiwi selectors and in the red corner NE, Lee and BS

It's not easy.

I remain puzzled by some of the suggestions on here that these are duds. I was reading my Gillette year book last night only to discover that Hoffman and Lima both played in the 4 Nations LAST YEAR. Unless I picked up the wrong book we seem to have -

in the blue corner McGuire, Australian and Kiwi selectors and in the red corner NE, Lee and BS

It's not easy.

under maguire i can see wigan winning lots of trophies

What about the salary cap at Wigan?

With Riddell, Feka, Phelps and Bailey likely to leave, Coley and Fielden rumored to be offered reduced deals and Deacan retiring into his coaching role you'd like to think there is plenty of room as has been covered at length in the numerous threads.

What about the salary cap at Wigan?

What about it?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It's not easy.

Kiwi's must be short on props then :D

I've merely offered my opinion that you have equal or better on 2 of the signings, i've conceded that Hoffman could be a good signing for you, therefore allowing you to spend on better quality.

You forgot your very own Hannibal of the red corner list but i think for differing reasons

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

:rolleyes:

Three great signing for Wigan, especially when you consider the highly paid dross being shipped out / paid less to make room for them.

Wigan are strong in 2010 and will be even stronger next year.

These are the sorts of overseas players we want in SL, not the likes of Feka and Phelps.