Wigan have snared the Melbourne Storm trio. Who can stop Wigan?

Are you saying that Finch, Hoffman and Lima are better than all of the other players in the NRL, aside from the eleven that you have mentioned?

You have certainly implied that.

No. I am saying that there will be no massive influx of star players from the NRL to Super League for 2011, such as Wigan have picked up from Melbourne. Everyone in the State of Origin and Kiwi teams, plus the young rising stars, are signed up for 2011.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I am saying that there will be no massive influx of star players from the NRL to Super League for 2011, such as Wigan have picked up from Melbourne. Everyone in the State of Origin and Kiwi teams, plus the young rising stars, are signed up for 2011.

That's not what you said before. There will be scores of better players than Finch and Lima available this year - although slightly less suited to Wigan's needs.

People called Romans they go the house

That's not what you said before. There will be scores of better players than Finch and Lima available this year - although slightly less suited to Wigan's needs.

There won't be scores of better players than Finch and Hoffman available, and certainly not two and three of near their standard, such as Hull got this year with Long, Fitzgibbon and O'Meley. The market is almost closed down, it is slim pickings left, and if Inglis goes to Brisbane, as seems likely, Melbourne will keep almost all their remaining stars.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Catalans will improve greatly because they had the worst coach in Super League, who dragged them to the bottom of the competition. The only way forward is up.

Leeds have plenty of improvement in them. So they could well deny St Helens and Warrington the right to challenge Wigan in 2011. There are, after all, two spots in the grand final up for grabs.

The draw bridge has pretty much been pulled up.

Inglis may go to Brisbane, if he doesn't stay at Melbourne. But nowhere else.

All the other top NRL stars, who could make a difference to a Super League club rival of Wigan --- such as the Melbourne 4, Thurston, Lockyer, Gasnier, Morris, Jennings, Prince, Marshall, Pearce, Carney, Dugan, Coote (look at the State of Origin and Kiwi teams) ---are committed to NRL clubs for 2011.

2012 could be a different story, though the impending NRL salary cap increase will probably stop the super stars from coming to England.

So its only NRL players that can make a difference to the team??? FFS which is it the coach or the players?

Saints get a new cach this year.. surely that coach could be someone who will get that team even better and destroy the rest..

How about if Richard Agar gets binned and a new coach goes in there?? stranger things have happened..

Mick Potter this great coach at catalans goes to Bradford and totaly changes them around..

That is th coaching analogy if you believe that Catalans can be turned around by the coach.. all the above can too especailly Bradford and Saints who we know are getting two new coaches let along anyone else who changes in the summer..

Players wise.. is it only the NRL players that can change a team around??? not a chance.. there are some great talents that can move and make a huge difference in the summer..

LMS would make a big differene to saints who seem to have little behind their 2 main front rowers..

Shenton, Westerman may leav cas and could fill in the final missing peices in jugsaws

Mathers if cas can keep a few other players could pull them up a few places.. a challenging cas could cause some upsets upsets that change the look of the top 6

Hull only need 1 or two good players in depth to cause major issues same with KR all of which can be found int he super league..

the NRL is not the holy grail. there are a good few clubs that just need depth of talent and that is in the super league already that can be moved around.. leeds have faltered becuase they have been a bit poor but also due to injuries and those below the first team not being ready or good enough, good enough can be solved with a couple of signing, ready is being solved as they play more..

It s not a done deal by any strecth.. these players MIGHT make the team stronger if they gel well, if they are fit and if they want to play (all big ifs.. what if one gets injured at the end of hte NRL season for the year?) teams with top players dont always win championships.. look at melbourne who lost grand finals..

Yes they should be stronger but they are by no means a shoe in for a place in the grand final let alone a championship.. lets see what all teams look like at the starting gun of next season before making stupid predictions otherwise it will be a long 5 match + play offs + offseason on this board

Maybe Wigan only wanted him on a one year deal as they have Gareth Hock returning in 2012 ?

Quote was from Hoffman himself.

Hock is/was a better player than Hoffman however and is a homegrown player.

Next year we will have an even stronger Warrington Wolves with Hodgson at fb and all the young guns will have matured more.

Hodgson is the most over-rated player in SL.

And im including Chris Flannery in that category, mind you.. to suggest flannery can play is over-rating him!

So its only NRL players that can make a difference to the team??? FFS which is it the coach or the players?

Saints get a new cach this year.. surely that coach could be someone who will get that team even better and destroy the rest..

How about if Richard Agar gets binned and a new coach goes in there?? stranger things have happened..

Mick Potter this great coach at catalans goes to Bradford and totaly changes them around..

That is th coaching analogy if you believe that Catalans can be turned around by the coach.. all the above can too especailly Bradford and Saints who we know are getting two new coaches let along anyone else who changes in the summer..

Players wise.. is it only the NRL players that can change a team around??? not a chance.. there are some great talents that can move and make a huge difference in the summer..

LMS would make a big differene to saints who seem to have little behind their 2 main front rowers..

Shenton, Westerman may leav cas and could fill in the final missing peices in jugsaws

Mathers if cas can keep a few other players could pull them up a few places.. a challenging cas could cause some upsets upsets that change the look of the top 6

Hull only need 1 or two good players in depth to cause major issues same with KR all of which can be found int he super league..

the NRL is not the holy grail. there are a good few clubs that just need depth of talent and that is in the super league already that can be moved around.. leeds have faltered becuase they have been a bit poor but also due to injuries and those below the first team not being ready or good enough, good enough can be solved with a couple of signing, ready is being solved as they play more..

It s not a done deal by any strecth.. these players MIGHT make the team stronger if they gel well, if they are fit and if they want to play (all big ifs.. what if one gets injured at the end of hte NRL season for the year?) teams with top players dont always win championships.. look at melbourne who lost grand finals..

Yes they should be stronger but they are by no means a shoe in for a place in the grand final let alone a championship.. lets see what all teams look like at the starting gun of next season before making stupid predictions otherwise it will be a long 5 match + play offs + offseason on this board

Royce Simmons is an unknown quantity. He could turn out to be good, We don't know. Michael McGuire has turned out to be a great coach. I predict that with the increased firepower from Melbourne, Wigan will smash all opposition next year. Only Warrington, St Helens and Leeds have the talent to get close to them.

I am not completely happy about this, because it is not good for Super League to have one club too dominant.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

If Inglis doesn't go to Brisbane then one of the big four will probably have to leave.

Smith is their captain and very unlikely to depart.

Cronk is their mid field hub with Smith and they'll have a new 6 in Widdop so again unlikely Cronk will leave.

So that leaves Billy boy!

Wherever he goes it will be on a 2-3 year deal and he's 27. He may go to AFL, Union or SL.

Another option maybe is that a SL club will offer him a one year deal which would enable him go back to the Storm for 2012 when the new TV deal and it's revenue comes in. If that's the case then Melbourne and Billy would need to have it worked out with a club and coach they know and know they can trust.

That club would of course have to have an overseas quota spot available and salary cap space to spare.

Would be some signing, if only for a year, would Billy Slater!

If Inglis doesn't go to Brisbane then one of the big four will probably have to leave.

Smith is their captain and very unlikely to depart.

Cronk is their mid field hub with Smith and they'll have a new 6 in Widdop so again unlikely Cronk will leave.

So that leaves Billy boy!

Wherever he goes it will be on a 2-3 year deal and he's 27. He may go to AFL, Union or SL.

Another option maybe is that a SL club will offer him a one year deal which would enable him go back to the Storm for 2012 when the new TV deal and it's revenue comes in. If that's the case then Melbourne and Billy would need to have it worked out with a club and coach they know and know they can trust.

That club would of course have to have an overseas quota spot available and salary cap space to spare.

Would be some signing, if only for a year, would Billy Slater!

Inglis wants to go to Brisbane to be near his sweetheart Sally. He is waiting on Melbourne's decision whether or not they will release him. If they do release Inglis then it means that nobody else other than Inglis needs to be released. If they don't release Inglis then it means that they can fit all Big Four inside their salary cap.

Either way, Bill Slater will not be coming to Super League, nor going to any other NRL club.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Inglis wants to go to Brisbane to be near his sweetheart Sally. He is waiting on Melbourne's decision whether or not they will release him. If they do release Inglis then it means that nobody else other than Inglis needs to be released. If they don't release Inglis then it means that they can fit all Big Four inside their salary cap.

Either way, Bill Slater will not be coming to Super League, nor going to any other NRL club.

I don't care about Inglis, or Billy F***ing Slater.

Will you p!ss off somewhere else with your NRL drivel?

Go away.

PS, Wrong forum.

and of that i'm glad.

the sooner no imports come to these shores the better.

no go on the NRL forum and get your tissue's out.

goodbye........o i wish it was forever :dry:

I think PS is making a reasonable point insofar as these are proven performers, and winners, in positions where Wigan are weak, replacing worse players and thus improving the top team in the league. Equally, any predictions at this stage as to others strengths are hostages to fortune. At this point, they look like excellent no risk signings. 2012 was always going to be a big year for us with Fielden and Feca's money largely off the wage bill.

I think PS is making a reasonable point insofar as these are proven performers, and winners, in positions where Wigan are weak, replacing worse players and thus improving the top team in the league. Equally, any predictions at this stage as to others strengths are hostages to fortune. At this point, they look like excellent no risk signings. 2012 was always going to be a big year for us with Fielden and Feca's money largely off the wage bill.

Yes i agree on the improvement / no risk for Wigan....but PS is a total bore, either french this or aussies.

the day there are no imports the day i'll be happy.

I just wish every club had a youth policy like the pies.

I long for the day there are no more average Aussies. Phelps or Charnley? Sam or Tim Smith? That level of recruit makes my blood literally boil. Watching Jamie Lyon from behind a pillow on the sofa is something that lifts the heart - we should have more of those (not that there are many).

I wish more teams had entertainer type players - Willie Manus, Fecas (though he is overall a liability, he certainly provides brief bursts of entertainment). Let's have more Fijians and razzle dazzle players to supplement our own increasing numbers of talented yoofs.

absolutely, i seem to have heard it all before though...oh, wait, i know where...

Maybe so, but Coley for Hill makes us stronger, so he's not a bonkers signing. Next year, O'Carroll will be a year older and we have plenty money freed up with DV and Fletcher off the pay roll, so it will be a chance for us to get a grafter plus a strike centre. Plus, we have talent in our table topping academy teams to bring through... all in all, things could come together pretty well.

foxes or poor people?

absolutely, i seem to have heard it all before though...oh, wait, i know where...

In the 2007 quote, he was pretty right though, it has started to come together, the academy players have stepped up and made an impression in the first team, the club is topping the table and the imports are both reducing and improving on their leaving counterparts (Feka, Riddell, Phelps, Bailey out - Hoffman (short term), Lima and Finch in). We've got the strike centres (considering the tries on both wings), now we have got the grafter in the front row that was missing and we have depth in all positions (assuming Mellor recovers for next season). Looks all positive to me for 2012.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

In the 2007 quote, he was pretty right though, it has started to come together, the academy players have stepped up and made an impression in the first team, the club is topping the table and the imports are both reducing and improving on their leaving counterparts (Feka, Riddell, Phelps, Bailey out - Hoffman (short term), Lima and Finch in). We've got the strike centres (considering the tries on both wings), now we have got the grafter in the front row that was missing and we have depth in all positions (assuming Mellor recovers for next season). Looks all positive to me for 2012.

you sound like a wire fan. next year, next year, next year...!!

foxes or poor people?

Quoting something written 3 years ago (and god knows what the context was) is really creepy.

3 years later we are top of the league having made it to within 80 minutes of OT in the last 2 years. That represents fantastic progress from the DV era. If the point was to illustrate how perspicacious I was thanks for that. Given the psycho tendencies of the quoter it must presmably serve some other point.

Perhaps we could have every quote in the last 3 years about how Wigan were going to sell all their young players, so we can do a compare and contrast with the 15 home grown players on our books who have played SL this year?

you sound like a wire fan. next year, next year, next year...!!

But surely the idea is that next year is the most important after this one, looking at Wigan's squad and contract commitments / durations through to 2010, it was only going to be the subsequent years that any substantial changes to the squad could be made. This season we are in the hunt towards the business end, which exceeds my expectations given that the squad on paper looks far weaker than three other teams and is largely unchanged from the one that underperformed in the regular season in 2009. We wanted progress and we've got it, despite the fact that I don't think we'll win the GF this season the prospect of some silverware starts to increase from 2011 onwards. To have realistic expectations and be able to be reflective on progress is not a bad thing. As a Wigan fan for two decades, I am in the fortunate position that I experienced a lot of success in a very short period and appreciate that it was achieved and sustained through a progressive improvement, which I am willing to be patient for.

As a Warrington fan, you should understand that your club have approached the rebuilding job in a similar way to Wigan, but are probably two years further along in the process and have reaped the rewards so far. Notwithstanding the banter I have with Warrington fans on here, I certainly wouldn't begrudge your club lifting one or both trophies this year as both would be hard earned and deserved. The only concern I would have, would be that some of your fans would be insufferable - as some find it difficult to stay grounded after a little success.

Edited by giwildgo

oderint dum metuant

But surely the idea is that next year is the most important after this one, looking at Wigan's squad and contract commitments / durations through to 2010, it was only going to be the subsequent years that any substantial changes to the squad could be made. This season we are in the hunt towards the business end, which exceeds my expectations given that the squad on paper looks far weaker than three other teams and is largely unchanged from the one that underperformed in the regular season in 2009. We wanted progress and we've got it, despite the fact that I don't think we'll win the GF this season the prospect of some silverware starts to increase from 2011 onwards. To have realistic expectations and be able to be reflective on progress is not a bad thing. As a Wigan fan for two decades, I am in the fortunate position that I experienced a lot of success in a very short period and appreciate that it was achieved and sustained through a progressive improvement, which I am willing to be patient for.

As a Warrington fan, you should understand that your club have approached the rebuilding job in a similar way to Wigan, but are probably two years further along in the process and have reaped the rewards so far. Notwithstanding the banter I have with Warrington fans on here, I certainly wouldn't begrudge your club lifting one or both trophies this year as both would be hard earned and deserved. The only concern I would have, would be that some of your fans would be insufferable - as some find it difficult to stay grounded after a little success.

As always, good read and very true.

PS hows the bump??

Edited by 1976PMJwires

i'll get back to the first part later. in a bit of a rush. how are we 2 years further along? we were ###### last year, the cup win masked some glaring deficiencies.

we won't win anything this year. leeds will sweep the cup/gf. fans are fans, i'm yet to know fans of any club in any sport who don't have an element of 'we're the best ever' when they win something.

foxes or poor people?

i'll get back to the first part later. in a bit of a rush. how are we 2 years further along? we were ###### last year, the cup win masked some glaring deficiencies.

Erm - is second in the league (possibly top by season's end) and a likely cup final appearance not enough? Some people obviously can't be satisfied, considering where you were five years ago and before.

we won't win anything this year. leeds will sweep the cup/gf.

How do you know you won't win anything? Can I have your crystal ball so I can make a few quid?

Leeds have the track record, but they haven't looked unbeatable either and they are not the only team that has suffered with injuries nor is it an excuse for all of their poor performances.

fans are fans, i'm yet to know fans of any club in any sport who don't have an element of 'we're the best ever' when they win something.

Wire fans took it to the extreme in fairness, which was not completely unreasonable given the sparcity of previous success over the long term. But became tedious by the start of 2010 - especially one poster, shall we call him 'Kendle' to preserve anonymity ;)

Edited by giwildgo

oderint dum metuant

Erm - is second in the league (possibly top by season's end) and a likely cup final appearance not enough? Some people obviously can't be satisfied, considering where you were five years ago and before.

of course it's enough.

How do you know you won't win anything? Can I have your crystal ball so I can make a few quid?

Leeds have the track record, but they haven't looked unbeatable either and they are not the only team that has suffered with injuries nor is it an excuse for all of their poor performances.

because we won the cup last season, plus, i'm, the eternal pessimist.

Wire fans took it to the extreme in fairness, which was not completely unreasonable given the sparcity of previous success over the long term. But became tedious by the start of 2010 - especially one poster, shall we call him 'Kendle' to preserve anonymity ;)

and? at some point we won't be winning anything, then you can return the gloating in spades!

Edited by sam

foxes or poor people?