progress

oldrover

quite a few people seem to be of the opinion lately that s/l hasn't progressed as much as it should have in bringing through quality british players. so i have googled the squads of s/l teams for 2010 to see how many imports are in s/l. i haven't included catalans and crusaders, obviously, as they will need unlimited imports for the next twenty years or so. this is what i found.

wigan 8

saints 4

leeds 7

wolves 6

wakey 9

hull fc 7

hull kr 7

c*s 5

giants 6

bulls 5

salford 7

london 5

i make that 76 players from overseas. thats not including crusaders and catalans don't forget. so i ask the question, is this progress?

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite a few people seem to be of the opinion lately that s/l hasn't progressed as much as it should have in bringing through quality british players. so i have googled the squads of s/l teams for 2010 to see how many imports are in s/l. i haven't included catalans and crusaders, obviously, as they will need unlimited imports for the next twenty years or so. this is what i found.

wigan 8

saints 4

leeds 7

wolves 6

wakey 9

hull fc 7

hull kr 7

c*s 5

giants 6

bulls 5

salford 7

london 5

i make that 76 players from overseas. thats not including crusaders and catalans don't forget. so i ask the question, is this progress?

Comparing it to 10 years ago, definitely, but it would be better to see squads from 10/5 years ago to prove it.

Also are these players better than the British players from 10/5 years ago.

Cummins Out.

Comparing it to 10 years ago, definitely, but it would be better to see squads from 10/5 years ago to prove it.

Also are these players better than the British players from 10/5 years ago.

Matt, when you look at the quality of some of these players, our system should be bringing through players as good if not better than these. the aussies have 3 of our players, or so i'm told. 2 of which are current internationals.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Crazy idea, but why not limit each club?

Maximum 4 would not be out of order, surely :huh:

thats 76 british players not getting 1st team experience.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

If they were limited to 4, they couldn't complain about it upsetting the team balance and then reduce it by 1 every 2 years, giving them time to adapt.

Somehow I cannot see that happening in a month of Sundays, its not to their advantage so wouldn't even reach the ballot box!

The weak conform, the strong survive.

wigan 8

saints 4

leeds 7

wolves 6

wakey 9

hull fc 7

hull kr 7

c*s 5

giants 6

bulls 5

salford 7

london 5

So tell me, Old Rover with your knowledge of the game, what is the point of these teams operating acadamy sides?. These poor lads are just a cosmetic attachment to the SL teams with not a hope in H**l of progressing, apart from the odd one or two. There are plenty of such promising players about who at one stage played amateur for local clubs, were lured away by the SL moguls and now find themselves in a similar position to the Championship clubs. Nowhere to go. Similar situation in the roundball game I am afraid. To me, it is akin to bringing foreign workers across to fill our skilled jobs over here. Disgusting.

wigan 8

saints 4

leeds 7

wolves 6

wakey 9

hull fc 7

hull kr 7

c*s 5

giants 6

bulls 5

salford 7

london 5

These figures are staggering. I hadn't realised that there were so many overseas players in SL. Hasn't SL already got a limit for overseas players. How many of these are Kolpak players, i understand they don't count on the limit. As you say in a later post that is 76 British players who are not getting a chance. I'd love to know how many overseas players Aussie teams have.

Edited by DMS

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

Matt, when you look at the quality of some of these players, our system should be bringing through players as good if not better than these. the aussies have 3 of our players, or so i'm told. 2 of which are current internationals.

AH! you know what i've done don't you? got mixed up and thought they were British players from their academy, now dont ask me why I thought this was the case, as I don't know :huh:

But looking at London, they are doing well in attempting to bring though some good London players, Wakefield with 9 is shocking, but still better than 2006.

Crazy idea, but why not limit each club?

Maximum 4 would not be out of order, surely :huh:

How about another way round it, instead of restricting the number of players, enforce a rule where 10 players in your 25 must be from the UK or France?

Cummins Out.

How about another way round it, instead of restricting the number of players, enforce a rule where 10 players in your 25 must be from the UK or France?

Meaning a club can have 15 aussies on their books?

The thing is take the imports out of the sides and put in home grown talent and the Super Duper clubs become good Championship Clubs if they are lucky, in Wakefield's case at the moment in would be Championship 1

which means they would have to put the work in, instead of taking the lazy option which they do now. most teams do have some youngsters from their academys, but thats probably because the can put them on minimum contract as the overseas players are taking all the big money.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

As I see it oldrover most of the Super Duper cash has been taken out of the game by the imports, had it been invested in the youth set up we would have a much better game for it.

seem to recall wakey academy won the championship this year or last so they must have a few good local lads coming through.But if you care to look up how many duel registered players from Wigan Saints and Leeds just for example are playing for National teams this would tell you just how many good young players these 3 clubs alone have over the likes of Wakey London and Salford so at this moment in time they must need the imports more to try and compete at the same level as the Wigans.I honestly think the draft system they have in American football could be a way of making clubs play on a more even footing the bottom clubs betting the pick of at least one top player before they are plundered by the richer and more desirable clubs .

chappy

the problem I have is the ages all late 20's why? well its easy to see that around about 27/28 because of intensity and younger players coming through your finished in oz so they come over here for their pension pot

wigan just signed 3 from melbourne 27,28,28 FORMER state of origin not present origin players would any team let current origin or international players leave NO

so we get all the has beens rfl say it will improve our game i'm not so sure. these players slowed down so when we come up against the young guns of oz we shocked by their speed

solution only let the under 25's come over or better still only let current origin or internationals I won't hold my breath

RL is no different than most sports, the pressure to be top means clubs will always look at quick options, reducing the overseas quota and bringing more young British players in is a long term objective. The quality of SL would suffer in the short term but i do believe that for the long term and for the progress of the national side it is the right thing to do. Why couldn't they reduce the numbers gradually, say by one a year till they were at 4. I would include overseas coaches in the quota as well.

It amazes me that ordinary fans can see the problems that RL has but the powers that be can't. I saw a quote that last weekend there was a record number of people watching SL. I'm sorry but using a weekend when all the big derbies were on is not a fair reflection of what is really happening to crowd figures. And as for the divisions below SL, well we all know what's happening there. A long slow death. I honestly believe that the bosses think that if our 2 divisions go to the wall we'll all trot off and watch SL. Personally i'll be off to Headingley but not to watch the Rhinos

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

What if the British players arent good enough? Should we play them anyway for the sake of it on moral grounds but let the intensity of the competition suffer?

What is the ultimate goal to getting more British youngsters in SL? To me the only aim is to improve the international game but Id rather see the cream of young talent playing in a more intense league. I cant really see another reason other than nationalism.

I think the number of imports is being gradually reduced but the Kolpac makes it difficult. There is also a rule around federation trained players I believe which should help the balance, as in the end its about balance between top foreigners and enough quality English players. I like the idea about under 25s but there are a lot of legal issues around restraint of trade.

Just on the other side of the coin was anyone bothered when Danny Divet, Banquet, Tuuta, etc etc were turning out for Fev? Few local youngsters didnt get a chance then.

Weve had Jesse Joe Parker playing in the centre all season keeping Sam Smeaton out of the team. Now on balance I think Jesse is probably slightly better than Sam at the moment hence why he was getting picked, but Sam is a local lad being kept out by someone from PNG, yet he was arguably our most popular player.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Meaning a club can have 15 aussies on their books?

Well.. I dun goofed... maybe a minimum of 12 federation players named in the starting 17. Something similar to what Blatter/Platini wants to bring in.

Cummins Out.

So tell me, Old Rover with your knowledge of the game, what is the point of these teams operating acadamy sides?. These poor lads are just a cosmetic attachment to the SL teams with not a hope in H**l of progressing, apart from the odd one or two. There are plenty of such promising players about who at one stage played amateur for local clubs, were lured away by the SL moguls and now find themselves in a similar position to the Championship clubs. Nowhere to go. Similar situation in the roundball game I am afraid. To me, it is akin to bringing foreign workers across to fill our skilled jobs over here. Disgusting.

i agree with you Bob, it's just cosmetic. we may get the odd few coming through. on another post tex asks, "what if the young british players aren't good enough". well if a proper system had been implemented at the start of s/l, we should now be reaping the rewards and producing players that are good enough. the aussies seem to have a conveyor belt of young talent. every pound we spend on imports is a pound less to spend on youth development. s/l clubs have got their own way with no relegation, so why the need for all those imports. we're not talking about the likes of sterling kenney lewis meninga etc.if the will was there, then we should be turning out better players than the ones we are bringing in at present. as far back as i can remember, Australia only took players of quality from our leagues, the likes of dave bolton, cliff watson, the magnificent Dick Huddart,lowe, reilly stephenson tommy bishop ellery hanley, schofield. my word Bob, just look at that list, and theres many more, will we ever see their like again. there are resources in rugby league, they just need diverting in the right direction. how long do we have to wait.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

ban all the overseas imports for me Featherstone Rovers had its best sides ever from within a stones throw of post office road and it would happen again given time. Bring back the county cup games and make National leagues one league and promotion and relegation to be decided at the end of each season.

chappy

ban all the overseas imports for me Featherstone Rovers had its best sides ever from within a stones throw of post office road and it would happen again given time. Bring back the county cup games and make National leagues one league and promotion and relegation to be decided at the end of each season.

i'm not advocating banning all overseas players, but rather only bringing in the very best to complement what we have. suppose leeds had just Billy Slater, rather than the 7 they've got. how many bums would that put on seats, and what a role model for our younger players.

just one question, if FRISA can dictate their donations to the club are only spent on player recruitment, couldn't sky dictate what their money must be spent on.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

I honestly think the draft system they have in American football could be a way of making clubs play on a more even footing the bottom clubs betting the pick of at least one top player before they are plundered by the richer and more desirable clubs .

I can't agree with drafting being introduced to be honest. The franchise model the top tier of our game has adopted is based on American sport and drafting would just be another step along this road. Why is the American model deemed to be good practice? Look at the "World Series" in Baseball, all competing teams are based in North America if I'm correct? Its just like our sport doing everything possible to have "European" in its title. Why does it matter?

Drafting is just another form of manipulation, like franchises. The masters of our sport are trying to manipulate the natural growth of it by targeting specific locations or criteria. It could be compared to a command economy like the Soviets or any other communist nation. Look how all that ended up.

I just don't get the current set up and logic at the RFL at all. We've got a chief exec earning

I can't agree with drafting being introduced to be honest. The franchise model the top tier of our game has adopted is based on American sport and drafting would just be another step along this road. Why is the American model deemed to be good practice? Look at the "World Series" in Baseball, all competing teams are based in North America if I'm correct? Its just like our sport doing everything possible to have "European" in its title. Why does it matter?

Drafting is just another form of manipulation, like franchises. The masters of our sport are trying to manipulate the natural growth of it by targeting specific locations or criteria. It could be compared to a command economy like the Soviets or any other communist nation. Look how all that ended up.

I just don't get the current set up and logic at the RFL at all. We've got a chief exec earning

Cummins Out.

i agree with you Bob, it's just cosmetic. we may get the odd few coming through. on another post tex asks, "what if the young british players aren't good enough". well if a proper system had been implemented at the start of s/l, we should now be reaping the rewards and producing players that are good enough. the aussies seem to have a conveyor belt of young talent. every pound we spend on imports is a pound less to spend on youth development. s/l clubs have got their own way with no relegation, so why the need for all those imports. we're not talking about the likes of sterling kenney lewis meninga etc.if the will was there, then we should be turning out better players than the ones we are bringing in at present. as far back as i can remember, Australia only took players of quality from our leagues, the likes of dave bolton, cliff watson, the magnificent Dick Huddart,lowe, reilly stephenson tommy bishop ellery hanley, schofield. my word Bob, just look at that list, and theres many more, will we ever see their like again. there are resources in rugby league, they just need diverting in the right direction. how long do we have to wait.

There you go again, all youv done lately is talk about cas, going to watch them etc, now your on about there past players, your lads reyt were getting theee looked at