Iain Thornley

Always a loss to the sport, sad to see kids leaving, there is no chance of the talent filtering down through the Super League ranks when better money is on offer elsewhere. If the rumours are to be believed he was offered very very good money to go to Sale.

Good luck to the lad, just like any other business when you invest money in an apprentice there is always a danger he may move on for more money if its available.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Charnley and Marsh have left him far behind, after he looked lad most likely a couple fo years ago.

When we look across at the local back line talent produced by the Wire, we can only marvel at him.

According to one website, ther are interested in Marsh too.

Charnley and Marsh have left him far behind, after he looked lad most likely a couple fo years ago.

When we look across at the local back line talent produced by the Wire, we can only marvel at him.

Charnley and Marsh will make outstanding Rugby League players in time. Iain Thornley i am told has not progressed as much as Wigan had hoped he would.

Inevitable that some of Wigans rising RL stars of the future would have to make way for the Melbourne connection.

Eh?

If the lad decides to go to another sport for more dosh, what's that got to do with the Melbourne signing?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

LMFAO..one eyed opinion days old........O yeah, Saturday, you still haven't answered......... i'll let you no, a back liner scored in the last minute :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

double post.

Edited by 1976PMJwires

LMFAO..one eyed opinion days old........O yeah, Saturday, you still haven't answered......... i'll let you no, a back liner scored in the last minute :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I may have missed something here. If so, sorry about that. I read that our under 20s lost to what sounded like an unusual try. Is the try scorer playing this week end for the Wire first team?

I may have missed something here. If so, sorry about that. I read that our under 20s lost to what sounded like an unusual try. Is the try scorer playing this week end for the Wire first team?

EW you quote:- Charnley and Marsh have left him far behind, after he looked lad most likely a couple fo years ago.

So i thought i'd remind you, a back liner scored for the wires.

Evans is a future "Superstar" you may laugh / comment or what ever, but this lad is the future..... Wires haven't been this excited about a player since scully or harris...... and this time WE dont have to sell.

Please note my name is Paul, not Tony Smith. :D

Catching up now. Will look out for the name.

I have seen him play a few times and he is looking a class act, if he was at Wigan he'd have played first grade already................ Wires are not very good at getting the kids in, seems reluctant to do so (can understand it at the moment with all to play, plus lack of injuries this season hasn't created a chance) but i would give a chance against wakey or hull (at home)

EW, i no you think i talk 5h1te sometimes, but book mark this page, sometime soon you'll remember this.

Edited by 1976PMJwires

Back to the original point, this story, coupled with news on the other thread about Wigan's capture of three more overseas signings from Melbourne, tells you all you need to know about why we still can't compete at international level.

Now it might be that, whatever had been on the table, the kid had his heart set on switching codes (fair play to the lad, if so) but people at Wigan and the RFL for that matter need to be asking questions of themselves in my opinion.

The loss of another exciting prospect to a rival code (remember Chris Ashton?) is more than 'irritating' in my opinion. 'Worrying' would be a better word.

Back to the original point, this story, coupled with news on the other thread about Wigan's capture of three more overseas signings from Melbourne, tells you all you need to know about why we still can't compete at international level.

Now it might be that, whatever had been on the table, the kid had his heart set on switching codes (fair play to the lad, if so) but people at Wigan and the RFL for that matter need to be asking questions of themselves in my opinion.

The loss of another exciting prospect to a rival code (remember Chris Ashton?) is more than 'irritating' in my opinion. 'Worrying' would be a better word.

I don't understand why its a Wigan problem, surely if he's that good and had any interest in carving a career out in League he'd have been touted around the other clubs, so either he was dead set on switching codes and other clubs were not made aware of his availability, no other clubs were interested in him or nobody could/was willing to match the money on offer from Sale.

Try as you might to make this a "Wigan problem" but your just kidding yourself! We'd be in fine health as a sport at an international level if the other English based Super League clubs matched the amount of talent that comes through the ranks at Wigan.

I don't understand why its a Wigan problem, surely if he's that good and had any interest in carving a career out in League he'd have been touted around the other clubs, so either he was dead set on switching codes and other clubs were not made aware of his availability, no other clubs were interested in him or nobody could/was willing to match the money on offer from Sale.

Try as you might to make this a "Wigan problem" but your just kidding yourself! We'd be in fine health as a sport at an international level if the other English based Super League clubs matched the amount of talent that comes through the ranks at Wigan.

Totally agree with your post.

Others clubs need to look at the Wigan model.

Schools / local amateur clubs all playing RL in the area.

I guess he says its a wigan problem as it happens to Wigan, dont really here of it at other clubs.

On Warrington scouts.

I read somewhere this week we have a "Yorkshire" scout looking out for stars.

Why do i mention????

We need to get more local kids in to local RL clubs, i stopped playing many years ago and there was 4 clubs, now there must be 10 or more.............. we need more kids in school playing RL, then and only then we may bring more local homegrown into the First time.

then Warrington (or whoever for that matter) may have a "problem"

I know what your saying but I'm not sure it's as easy as other clubs matching the wage Sale are offering.Given the lads age wouldn't SL teams have to pay Wigan a transfer fee which would probably put off most SL teams from taking a punt on him.