1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan
    • Draw

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then he's got a decision to make, does he see himself as a full back or half back. personally, shifting england's best half back to full back is madness and if wigan/mcguire is doing it to accomodate his mate from melbourne then i'd be ###### off if i was a wigan fan.

Everyones entitled to their opinion of course, but you are living in a different era. In a roaming role in the modern game, the FB can still retain a playmaking role and have as great an impact / if not greater as SO due to an ability to take a free role in the attacking line, intervene from deep and be elusive on the kick return, whilst also not being as physically exposed in defence.

Having as many playmakers in the FB, SO, SH, H or LF roles gives a team more attacking options. Wigan will be ideally positioned having the potential to field Roberts, Tomkins, Finch, Leulaui and O'Loughlin all in the same team as distributors and / or creators.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

Everyones entitled to their opinion of course, but you are living in a different era. In a roaming role in the modern game, the FB can still retain a playmaking role and have as great an impact / if not greater as SO due to an ability to take a free role in the attacking line, intervene from deep and be elusive on the kick return, whilst also not being as physically exposed in defence.

i totally agree. i've been saying for years that mcguire at leeds could be be a world class full back. i'm all for players learning new skills/positions, chris bridge at our place has played almost every position apart from prop.

with tomkins the potential is there, greater than myler/eastmond to become a genuine world class half back. it's wigan's choice to try and turn him into billy slater mk2, in sl that will probably work, especially in a team that bosses most of it's games. in the international arena, i'm not so sure, plus who replaces him at so..? don't say pryce!

Edited by sam

foxes or poor people?

i totally agree. i've been saying for years that mcguire at leeds could be be a world class full back. i'm all for players learning new skills/positions, chris bridge at our place has played almost every position apart from prop.

with tomkins the potential is their, greater than myler/eastmond to become a genuine world class half back. it's wigan's choice to try and turn him into billy slater mk2, in sl that will probably work, especially in a team that bosses most of it's games. in the international arena, i'm not so sure, plus who replaces him at so..? don't say pryce!

For England, I actually think Pryce would be the better full back with Tomkins at 6 - but if Tomkins is at 1, then Myler 6 and Eastmond at 7?

oderint dum metuant

For England, I actually think Pryce would be the better full back with Tomkins at 6 - but if Tomkins is at 1, then Myler 6 and Eastmond at 7?

myler isn't creative enough.

foxes or poor people?

A lot of the recent posts seem to be focusing too much on this year's 4N. Yes, it's important, but 2013 and the WC is more so, IMO, and that's a lot of time for these young guns to hone their talents. Myler not creative enough? Maybe now, but in 3 years? Plus, there are others who are below the radar at the moment - eg. Ratchford? There's time to juggle the options for everyone so that we win the WC.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

myler isn't creative enough.

I think that is an unfair criticism which is often thrown at Myler, and tbh he has impressed me in that area as I believed the same before I watched him regularly. I was worried when Briers was injured for this reason, yet we continued to play well, and he has 10 assists to his name.

Secondly, whilst he may not be the most creative, if he is in a team with Tomkins at 1, Eastmond and 6 and O'Loughlin at 13, with Sinfield at 9, then I would have him in simply for his finishing ability and his pace around the middle of the park. We would have real pace in the key attacking positions, and that would make a nice change.

I think that is an unfair criticism which is often thrown at Myler, and tbh he has impressed me in that area as I believed the same before I watched him regularly. I was worried when Briers was injured for this reason, yet we continued to play well, and he has 10 assists to his name.

Secondly, whilst he may not be the most creative, if he is in a team with Tomkins at 1, Eastmond and 6 and O'Loughlin at 13, with Sinfield at 9, then I would have him in simply for his finishing ability and his pace around the middle of the park. We would have real pace in the key attacking positions, and that would make a nice change.

as a finisher he's brilliant, excellent pace and just has that knack of being in the right place at the right time. if you want someone to be able to open the aussies up with something a little bit different, tomkins is the bloke.

foxes or poor people?

DaveT, Don't raise to it, he goes a few games, listens to his dad and he then knows everything.

Myler is a great "young" player, we missed him when he wasn't playing, he will be a "great" in time.

Myler scores tries for fun, gets around the park and only time will tell HOW good he'll be.

Myler, Tomkins, Eastmond are all the Future, where they play or in fact if they play together is for the coach to worry about.

as a finisher he's brilliant, excellent pace and just has that knack of being in the right place at the right time. if you want someone to be able to open the aussies up with something a little bit different, tomkins is the bloke.

Yep, you won't get me arguing with that. Despite him being quiet for much of last week's game, Tomkins still popped up at a crucial time to set up the early 2nd half try.

I haven't seen enough of him at 1 to really make a judgement on this one, although I do hope he doesn't get moved around too much like Pryce did and he really makes a position his own, whether that is 6,7 or 1. The team should be built around him.

That is exactly the starting line-up I was thinking of - an embarassment of riches in terms of playmaking and attacking options all over the field. I'd also have Pryce on the bench to mix it up when necessary.

oderint dum metuant

Tompkins was excellent last night, and if that's going to be his regular position, then why not for England as well, Last night was a B Hodgson style of performance as i have said, and it was good to watch, If he's going to play there week in week out for Wigan, dont consider anyone else, Take the Fullback off the list and concentrate on the halves, he can't play both positions at once , Lets have people playing in their best places , we have had enough of playing people all over the field just to get them in.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Incidentally, having watched the game again (a couple of times, shame on me) I think Sam was playing 6 for a fair bit of the game last night, when Piggy was off the pitch. The comparison with Hodgson (last year's vintage) is a fair one.