Challenge cup final retains listing

What are thoughts on this? I am ambivalent as I thought that the rfl may have got a better deal from the BBC if sky joined the bidding

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

What are thoughts on this? I am ambivalent as I thought that the rfl may have got a better deal from the BBC if sky joined the bidding

The RFL might have got more money, but the sport would have lost a major chunk of national FTA coverage. So it is sort of bad, sort of good.

We seem to be doing better by the BBC these days; I posted somewhere else (a while back) on this subject that they are showing more Rugby League these days than they have in ages, if ever.

• Challenge Cup - several rounds and the final - live
  • Superleague Show - okay, the national broadcast is at insulting o'clock, but it is shown and can be recorded or watched via iPlayer
  • Playoffs & Grand Final - highlights
  • Internationals - 1 live match per year, plus highlights of the others
  • World Club Challenge - highlights

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The RFL might have got more money, but the sport would have lost a major chunk of national FTA coverage. So it is sort of bad, sort of good.

We seem to be doing better by the BBC these days; I posted somewhere else (a while back) on this subject that they are showing more Rugby League these days than they have in ages, if ever.

• Challenge Cup - several rounds and the final - live
  • Superleague Show - okay, the national broadcast is at insulting o'clock, but it is shown and can be recorded or watched via iPlayer
  • Playoffs & Grand Final - highlights
  • Internationals - 1 live match per year, plus highlights of the others
  • World Club Challenge - highlights

There seems to have been coverage creep going on, little by little the RFL have been managing to get Sky to relax their exclusivity clauses without cutting what they are paying. In real terms is that more valuable to the RFL than a price hike and stilll being exclusive to Sky?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

There seems to have been coverage creep going on

forgot another thing - the continuing presence of George Riley on the airwaves. :)

little by little the RFL have been managing to get Sky to relax their exclusivity clauses without cutting what they are paying. In real terms is that more valuable to the RFL than a price hike and stilll being exclusive to Sky?

I'd argue that it is probably helping Sky too. If more people are able to see Rugby League, more people will become sufficiently interested to take out a Sky Sports subscription.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd argue that it is probably helping Sky too. If more people are able to see Rugby League, more people will become sufficiently interested to take out a Sky Sports subscription.

That is also very true, but this was never Sky's position in the past. Their big sales pitch was always Live & Exclusive with emphasis on exclusive. They even tried to stop news organisations from using clips for news programs and still do retain very tight control on that element.

Maybe when the EU moved in to break up the exclusive football deals they saw that it really wasn't detrimental or even advantageous.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Internationals - 1 live match per year, plus highlights of the others

wondering when thats gonna happen this year, and did the bbc show any highlights of the france game?.. the small print in the contract no doubt says "will be shown when we feel like it"

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

wondering when thats gonna happen this year, and did the bbc show any highlights of the france game?.. the small print in the contract no doubt says "will be shown when we feel like it"

In the case of the France match, I believe it was relegated to The Superleague Show.

As for the last 4N, they showed the highlights in the weekend afternoons, which is when most sofa spuds would expect to see BBC sports coverage. So no problem there.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On Friday last week the BBC news 24 at about 1130 had Wigan v Warrington second on the sports bulletin after cricket, with clips from Sky including eddies commentary and a report over the top. The reporter led with: Wigans Dw stadium resembled the colliseum as the gladiators of the two top sides in Sl entered.

I was amazed, naturally.

Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.

Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

Safe by default of course. The decision isn't final, just indefinitely postponed

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Ive never quite got my head around the need for this FTA list.

AFAICS it's the government protecting certain events for the fans of a sport from the wishes & decisions of the governing body of that sport?

Kind of barmy, don't you think?

Im as happy as the next cynic to give the RFL the thorough kicking it regularly deserves, but Im also prepared to accept they do do what's best for the sport in terms of selling rights, and carefully balancing the value of pubclity & audience figures on FTA against the cold hard cash of SKY.

Once a match/game/sport is on FTA how do you get a fair price from a broadcaster who knows you can't take it to SKY?

It could be argued that if ratings for the Challenge Cup on the BBC carry on the downward trend they've been showing these past few years, the BBC might not be too concerned if they lost the rights to it anyway. Rugby League's awareness in the country at large is probably the lowest it's ever been, and that's saying something. The casual fans passing interest in the sport is nowhere near what is was in the early 90s. It'll take more than showing a couple of 4 Nations matches on BBC1 to change that.

If the BBC's funding is cut I know which sport I'd put my money on to be cancelled.

the funding that is being cut is the funding that has been ringfenced for the move to Saford and the Digital switchover.. as such once done they will look at it and say.. right you dont need that cash.. it wont affect anything if we take it off you as that is purely what the cash was for..

so apparently it would not change anything in the service offered..

apparently.

It's already been stated that they'll be showing one of England's 4 Nations matches, but no word yet on which one (I don't think)

Most likely the one that's on at 5am

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

It's already been stated that they'll be showing one of England's 4 Nations matches, but no word yet on which one (I don't think)

Most likely the one that's on at 5am

Since Sky get first choice, the BBC match will probably be the one against PNG. Which I wouldn't mind, actually.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since Sky get first choice, the BBC match will probably be the one against PNG. Which I wouldn't mind, actually.

That's the one I was hoping for on the BBC, but not too fussed now. Gonna get Sky Sports for the month for the 4N

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Seeing as the beeb had 2 Live matches of the Gillette 4 Nations last year are you sure they'll only show 1 game from Aus this year? And what sort of GMT will the G4N be this winter? 8am? 9am? 10am? 11am?

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Seeing as the beeb had 2 Live matches of the Gillette 4 Nations last year are you sure they'll only show 1 game from Aus this year? And what sort of GMT will the G4N be this winter? 8am? 9am? 10am? 11am?

The agreement is that the BBC get one match.

Last year, there was a second BBC match, as Sky chose not to show it (France v NZ or Aus, can't remember which) and the Beeb picked up the option.

Given the time difference, I don't know if they will take a second match if offered this time, as it would disrupt their TV schedule.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sat 23 Oct - New Zealand v England - KO 8pm (UK - 8am) - Scheduled for Sky Sports

Sun 31 Oct - Australia v England - KO 8pm (UK - 9am) - Scheduled for Sky Sports

Sat 6 Nov - England v Papua New Guinea - KO 6pm (UK - 5am) - Scheduled for Sky Sports

That last one's gonna be a ######, 5am the morning after bonfire night

Edited by brooza

Ive never quite got my head around the need for this FTA list.

AFAICS it's the government protecting certain events for the fans of a sport from the wishes & decisions of the governing body of that sport?

Kind of barmy, don't you think?

It also means that the BBC are obligated to show it, if ITV and Channel 4 don't.

I call this good (and unexpected) news.