finally got my express today and am amazed to read nigel wood earns more than the prime minister!

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

finally got my express today and am amazed to read nigel wood earns more than the prime minister!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

His pay would be approved by the RFL member clubs or RFL Council I think.

Comparing to the PM s not appropriate. It need to be compared against the chiefs of other national sporting bodies. A large salary is something that may be needed to attract the best available people in the market of sporting administrators.

One then has to see a breakdown of that figure. Is it tied to incentives for increasing revenue, government funding, sponsorship. TV money, participation etc?

It's a massively important job, I think we'd all agree?

His rise was probably down to him taking over as Chief Exec.

I've met the guy, he came across as someone who was working hard for something he loves, and gave us a lot of his time without hesitation in a chance meeting.

I'm not saying it's not a lot of money, but I guess it depends how much importance we place on being the head of our sport? I'd place an awful lot.

Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.

Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

His pay would be approved by the RFL member clubs or RFL Council I think.

Comparing to the PM s not appropriate. It need to be compared against the chiefs of other national sporting bodies. A large salary is something that may be needed to attract the best available people in the market of sporting administrators.

One then has to see a breakdown of that figure. Is it tied to incentives for increasing revenue, government funding, sponsorship. TV money, participation etc?

Compare his salary to David Gallop's. Then compare their work loads and performances.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

I have no particular comment to make on whether Mr Wood is worth the salary he is reportedly paid but to compare it to the Prime Minister is a little disingenuous. The basic pay may be more but when you factor in property allowances, benefits and pensions etc, the PM's remuneration package is worth well over

Is this the same Nigel Wood who screwed up Halifax?

Yes sadly it is!

Compare the state of the RFL now with how it was before his appointment.

I'd say Mr Wood and his boss were doing a fantastic job.

In what way is he doing a fantastiuc job outside SL? Clubs are slowly dieing and attendances dropping slowly. Clubs like Gateshead and London Skolars are just about surviving-but are not growing at all.

The Franchise System is a joke as there is no way its transparent. A club wins the League and is not in debt and have a number of local players-i.e Widnes, Barrow and Fax and are refused promotion to the next level. Fans get fed up. Other teams like Crusaders giving way more help so that they get in to SL and even helped to sign players who do not have the right visa. Championship clubs are forced to except a stupid Bonus point System while SL not-Why not unilateral Points System? Sorry but for me the Game is not being well run outside of SL at all. The RFL should be covering all the game not just the bits it wants to do.

firstly just want to say it does seem an obscene amount of money to me

Yes sadly it is!

In what way is he doing a fantastiuc job outside SL? Clubs are slowly dieing and attendances dropping slowly. Clubs like Gateshead and London Skolars are just about surviving-but are not growing at all.

pre him taking over there were more clubs in worse financial positions.. lonon and gateshead were strugling along then too.. they are clubs that will strugle for some time and there is little/nothing that can be done about it by people at the top of the RFL.. they cannot magic supporters/sponsors/fantastic rent free stadiums out of the air

The Franchise System is a joke as there is no way its transparent.

there are/were certainly issues with it, IIRC he wasnt in charge of it first time around Lewis was still the top active honcho at the time (thoughi may be wrong) maybe we should wait till the next round before judging wood on this point

A club wins the League and is not in debt and have a number of local players-i.e Widnes, Barrow and Fax and are refused promotion to the next level.

surely that contradict the first point of it not being transparent.. if they did start to get promoted it would be odd.. it is a 3 year liscnece, these championhips allow the clubs to apply for a liscnece next time around these are the rules and they are well known.

Fans get fed up.

fans also got fed up with their clubs going bust when they got relegated or pushed for promotion also, and when they were merged with other clubs, and whn they get relegated, then promoted then relegated etc becuase the gap was too large.. you cant please everyone all the time

Other teams like Crusaders giving way more help so that they get in to SL and even helped to sign players who do not have the right visa.

i dont believe the RFL have been charged with any wrong doing over this, nor anyone at the crusaders.. so at the moment it is the players at fault, unless youhave proof at whih point i suggest handing it to te CPS. Yes the Crusaders were given help by the RFL in he way they were allowed felxibility on the quotas but thi is done for all expansion teams.. the move is contraversial granted but to bring someone in for 2 years at short notice etc.. how easy was that? if crusaders works it could be great for all clubs in RL and may well be worth it.. though understand both sides of hte agument on this one.

Championship clubs are forced to except a stupid Bonus point System while SL not-Why not unilateral Points System?

you often find things being experimened with at different levels of all games.. i would say that the Bonus Point system is controversial but i woudl debate the word "stupid" as personally i like it and would keep it and i would add i to super League as i think it has made for some great gaes that would have been rubbish at the end without it.

Sorry but for me the Game is not being well run outside of SL at all. The RFL should be covering all the game not just the bits it wants to do.

i believe it is.. its lookingat the amateur game heavily and how best to get more kids involved with the move to summer.

It has added things to try and make the championship exciting (Bonus point etc)

It has added a syste of franchising that will help to stabilise afew clubs and change the thinking of others from spend everything on the team to spending money on th grounds, juniors etc.. it will hopefully raise the standard off the field of championship clubs etc which will give more chance for the step up to be less painful if and when they bring people up/reintstate P&R

They help expansion club to try and open new areas of talent up tothe country which will hopefully give us a better chance ofbeating the aussies and winning world cups..

They have put in place a system where by they can build clubs from the bottom up

They are trying to help develop the game below super league (there is also a game outside of the lower leagues too) and they are doing this whilst balancing umpteen balls.

IMO he doesnt have an easy job and he is doing it pretty well.. its a huge amount of money though but if he is pretty much the one man think tank then maybe he deserves it.

RP- Franchising was brought in to stop clubs going in to trouble moneywise, build for the future and to bring through youngsters more. I see very little evidence of any of that working across the board. We have better stadiums in the Championship than SL. We have Quins and Crusaders have money problems. You could probably add Wakey, Hull KR etc to that. Huddersfield are only around due to Mr Davy. When he dies or leaves then what? A couple of clubs have a very good youth system-but many do not. And ALL clubs would rather spend money on Aussies than investing it on Youth. I do not see much improvement with Clubs both on and off the field in the past 3 years or so. I think SL should have standards and as long as a Championship meets the basic standards they deserve a chance in getting promoted and seeing what they can do.

The Bonus Point is a crazy system where Championship club have it, but the academy and SL not. Its been around for a few years now. For me the game should have one system covering all Leagues. Last year Sheffield finished up in 4th I think but won less games than Featherstone and Widnes. I do not agree with it and most of my friends do not. A number of people I talk to from various Championship clubs are not happy with the Bonus System.

The RFL gave Crusaders a massive advantage over the rest of the Championship clubs. OK have an extra Aussie or two but not the whole team. And they had former Origin players in so never stuck to the Salary Cap all the rest had. The RFL allowed the signing of these players and must have had an idea that some were not on the right Visa. Many Championship fans hate the way Crusaders were given so much help to get in to SL by the RFL.

Internationals are put on at the same time as a WC game featuring England. Now I think that is dumb. I think this decision may have cost the game a few thousand pound. The game needs to make as much money as possible at all levels.

I would like his wage to be based on performance in a number of areas rather than just be given a wage. I was not too impressed how he did things at Halifax. Not all the blame can be put on him, but still he did not do a great job there. I also think he is not the right man to be leading the game in to the future.

RP- Franchising was brought in to stop clubs going in to trouble moneywise, build for the future and to bring through youngsters more. I see very little evidence of any of that working across the board. We have better stadiums in the Championship than SL. We have Quins and Crusaders have money problems. You could probably add Wakey, Hull KR etc to that. Huddersfield are only around due to Mr Davy. When he dies or leaves then what? A couple of clubs have a very good youth system-but many do not. And ALL clubs would rather spend money on Aussies than investing it on Youth. I do not see much improvement with Clubs both on and off the field in the past 3 years or so. I think SL should have standards and as long as a Championship meets the basic standards they deserve a chance in getting promoted and seeing what they can do.

franchising has only been around for less than 3 years now.. so i thikn that is a harsh call.. what we can see happning is the teams in super league having their focus changed to the stadiums (this would not have happened without it) and on youth set ups.. Championship clubs setting up youth teams that they did not have before. yes there are better stadiums but as is alwasy said it isnt a stadium contest there is more to it.. Huddersfield... what happens if many benefactors die.. its not a valid argument around franchisisng. Thy may rather spend it on aussies but this is where the quotas come in as well they spend money on better aussies.. youth get more of a chnce (some of hte youth academies are still in their infancy so you cant expect them to churn these players out in the same way but the move towards it is there)

At the moment there is movement in these areas that was not and would not hae been there before.. ad that is all you can expect in such a short space of time.

The Bonus Point is a crazy system where Championship club have it, but the academy and SL not. Its been around for a few years now. For me the game should have one system covering all Leagues. Last year Sheffield finished up in 4th I think but won less games than Featherstone and Widnes. I do not agree with it and most of my friends do not. A number of people I talk to from various Championship clubs are not happy with the Bonus System.

i know a lot of people that like it..

whos the better side the one that wins loads of matches but gets humped in just as many or the team that wins a few less but is in contention in all the matches they play?? debatable surely..

not only that but you play to the system you have featherstone could have done the same if htey hadn got humped in a couple of games.. you ply to the system..

but the system has generated ome fantastic games in the past couple of years that would have trailed off with 10 to go without it..

IMO it works but in your it doesnt.. no problem but the job of hte governing board is if the split is 50-50 ish, to chose the best option, he has to make the decision rightly or wrongly and then deal with the issues of fans being annoyed.. i am sure you would notwant to make that decision knowing you are going p*ss off half the fans and have to deal with the ramificatons of moanng clubs day and night (he will be called at night by plenty of people and on the weekends etc).. and that is partly where the wage is based.

The RFL gave Crusaders a massive advantage over the rest of the Championship clubs. OK have an extra Aussie or two but not the whole team. And they had former Origin players in so never stuck to the Salary Cap all the rest had. The RFL allowed the signing of these players and must have had an idea that some were not on the right Visa. Many Championship fans hate the way Crusaders were given so much help to get in to SL by the RFL.

the RFL may think "the visa might not be right" but as long as the paperwork is sent to them is ok then surely innocent till proven guilty?

i am sure people do hate the way crusaders were treated.. but it doesnt mean that for the good of the gae in the long term it wasnt perhaps the right thing to do to get a team in wales and develop the game there..

they gave them a massive advantage in a way.. but htey were also at a huge disadvantage becuase they ahve to attract players to bridgened from their home towns, they have no real local kids to pick (that arent contracted some how to the biggest game in their area RU) and they dont have the resources that ost heartland clubs have.. the lee way is given while these things get put in place.. otherwise expansion clubs are at a huge disadvantage meaning the growth in that area is less.. look at melbourne (yes they broke the rules horrifically) but the game in the area is now growing hugely becuase of that success.. success normally breads interest (though i am not saying they should all do a melbourne but that a bit of leeway is not neceesarily a bad thing for hte game as a whole)

Internationals are put on at the same time as a WC game featuring England. Now I think that is dumb. I think this decision may have cost the game a few thousand pound. The game needs to make as much money as possible at all levels.

yes that was an ###### up of hte highest proportions IMO

I would like his wage to be based on performance in a number of areas rather than just be given a wage. I was not too impressed how he did things at Halifax. Not all the blame can be put on him, but still he did not do a great job there. I also think he is not the right man to be leading the game in to the future.

and that is a fair comment, i think he is doing a good jo, whether he is the right man i dont know, who else is there that is prepared to do it.. maybe he is the right man from the options available.

Well I think in the last couple of years we have had 4 teams into administration, there are two others who have not hiddent the fact they are struggling and close to Admin. How many others haven't said anything yet.

I think that goes someway to backing up the facts

how much of this is down to things that happened pre nigel wood though... how many are due to chasing P and avoiding R?

Well I think in the last couple of years we have had 4 teams into administration, there are two others who have not hiddent the fact they are struggling and close to Admin. How many others haven't said anything yet.

I think that goes someway to backing up the facts

I'm not disputing that clubs are in trouble, but then again, there always has been. Always. At least there are rules in place now to try and help protect clubs from themselves, but then there are other factors like the worst recession in living memory.

I remember reading something in RLW from a prominent person at a struggling club (maybe Rochdale or Doncaster or Keighley) where they said that despite what many think, the RFL really helped the clubs out and do what they can to support them.

Surely the way an organisation responds to difficult times is a measure of their success.

I'm not disputing that clubs are in trouble, but then again, there always has been. Always. At least there are rules in place now to try and help protect clubs from themselves, but then there are other factors like the worst recession in living memory.

I remember reading something in RLW from a prominent person at a struggling club (maybe Rochdale or Doncaster or Keighley) where they said that despite what many think, the RFL really helped the clubs out and do what they can to support them.

Surely the way an organisation responds to difficult times is a measure of their success.

there was a guy from rochdale on radio manchester praising the rfl for all the help they gave them. it was a while back.

foxes or poor people?

Can't have done mate, several guys on here with huge chips tell us that the RFL are out to get them. :rolleyes:

:ph34r: nigel wood will be after them :ph34r: