Trent Barrett retires, great player but no medals

"I feel privileged to have played at three terrific clubs in St George Illawarra, Wigan and Cronulla and to have been coached by some very talented coaches," Barrett said.

"Among the highlights of my career was that I got to play with and against many of the genuine superstars of the game.

Farrar said Barrett was always destined to reached the highest level in the game, the 32-year-old finishing with ten Origin appearances and 15 Tests to his name.

http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-news-sp...0722-10miz.html

He has been a great player and yet has never won anything in a fantastic career.

It just goes to show that there are plenty of great players who have never won a major trophy despite being one of the top performers for the last decade.

It just goes to show that there are plenty of great players who have never won a major trophy despite being one of the top performers for the last decade.

I note the subtle use of the word 'club' so as to obscure the fact that he won the World Cup in 2000.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I note the subtle use of the word 'club' so as to obscure the fact that he won the World Cup in 2000.

He has won stuff at Test level and Origin series.

But plenty great players in the game have never won a trophy (major).

Barrett I feel chased money rather than opt to play for clubs who were seriously gonna deliver him medals.

Barrett has been a good solid player that many in Australia believe was given rep caps with some favoritism from above.

Some players are like that.

The fact he could not get St George over the line with the massive talent he had around him indicates he was not quite top shelf.

"When St George Illawarra were pipped in that 1999 decider it was assumed Barrett would be contending for many premierships with what was a talent-laden Dragons side.

But as the Dragons continued to come up short, the barrage of criticism directed at Barrett rose.

He eventually fled the NRL at the end of the 2006 season for the relative calm of Super League with Wigan"

That sums it up.

Good luck to him in retirement.

Barrett I feel chased money rather than opt to play for clubs who were seriously gonna deliver him medals.

Filthy professionalism.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

when i saw him in the world cup in 2000 he looked bloody phenomenal, a fast, skillful half back who was built like a second rower. but it never quite happened for him after that.

foxes or poor people?

DOes his short spell at Wigan really allow for this thread to be in the European Forum?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

He has won stuff at Test level and Origin series.

But plenty great players in the game have never won a trophy (major).

I am not sure what you mean.

St George were a club that were up and there abouts right through Barretts time there.

Made the semis more than they missed them.

They were the big under achievers of that period.

DOes his short spell at Wigan really allow for this thread to be in the European Forum?

I think it does as it was when he was argueby at the peak of his powers and he went to a club like Wigan for riches not the chance to win trophies.

he went to a club like Wigan for riches not the chance to win trophies.

Is that what he told you?

Is that what he told you?

Thats what he says here.....basically he came to Wigan knowing the club were a really poor outfit, just for the money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...gan/4971418.stm

"I had a clause in my contract with St George that allowed me to leave before my contract was up," he said.

"But only if I was moving to Super League in England. I have always had the ambition to play in England."

And the Australian, who has retired from internationals to focus on his club career, said he would still join Wigan even if they were relegated from Super League.

The bottom-of-the-table Warriors have won just two of their first 12 games and face a big battle to move up the table.

"They're pretty confident they can claw their way back up the ladder but I'll definitely be coming," Barrett told BBC Radio Manchester. "I'll still be playing for the club.

I think it does as it was when he was argueby at the peak of his powers and he went to a club like Wigan for riches not the chance to win trophies.

He left the NRL for substantially more money and to escape the pressure from the media on his game.

He was picked above his form for several test caps and did not deliver the expectations with St George with players like Gasnier and Cooper in their prime around him.

Its called a cop out in Australia.

He then played the same card from England

Where he quit while contracted.

He was not top shelf, not even the next level down in reality

Edited by AndyCapp