Royce Simmons to St Helens

Just announced on Radio 5. KC to take up coaching post.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Failed at Penrith.

Assistant at West Tigers where there has been 1 final appearance (a GF win) in 10 years

Coaching career

Simmons went on to become Panthers coach in the closing stages of the 1994 season after Phil Gould was dismissed, and served until he was himself sacked from the position after the 2001 season, when the Panthers won the wooden spoon.[2] The Panthers made the finals twice under Simmons' tenure, in the 1997 Super League finals and National Rugby League season 2000 finals.

Since 2003, Simmons has served as the assistant coach at the Wests Tigers under his former coach Tim Sheens.[3]

Simmons has been widely tipped to take over the coaching position at St Helens in 2011.

Good resume that is.

Some people are destined to be head Coaches some assistants.

Royce is the latter......

Unless he resurrects his career with a small Club in the North of England.

Royce Simmons, suprise suprise, with K. Cunningham assistant.

Not that much of a surprise, as I already read it on the two other threads on the exact same subject ;)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Not really an inspired choice is it.

I dont have a problem with assistant NRL coaches but would prefer the up and comers like McGuire at Wigan rather than veterans like Simmons.

Makes you wonder what the likes of Ricky Stuart have done not to get a look in for top jobs here?

Failed at Penrith.

Assistant at West Tigers where there has been 1 final appearance (a GF win) in 10 years

Coaching career

Simmons went on to become Panthers coach in the closing stages of the 1994 season after Phil Gould was dismissed, and served until he was himself sacked from the position after the 2001 season, when the Panthers won the wooden spoon.[2] The Panthers made the finals twice under Simmons' tenure, in the 1997 Super League finals and National Rugby League season 2000 finals.

Since 2003, Simmons has served as the assistant coach at the Wests Tigers under his former coach Tim Sheens.[3]

Simmons has been widely tipped to take over the coaching position at St Helens in 2011.

Good resume that is.

Some people are destined to be head Coaches some assistants.

Royce is the latter......

Unless he resurrects his career with a small Club in the North of England.

agreed

not an impressive signing

Not really an inspired choice is it.

I dont have a problem with assistant NRL coaches but would prefer the up and comers like McGuire at Wigan rather than veterans like Simmons.

Makes you wonder what the likes of Ricky Stuart have done not to get a look in for top jobs here?

stuart only just left his job at cronulla

hes not interested in SL, hes good enough to get an nrl gig. rumours are broncos, parra or souths.

the next nsw origin coach

yet mick potter, justin morgan, michael maguire, kevin walters, the cas coach whose name ive forgotten are?

:lol:

They're all in work at the moment and Stuart isn't, so I guess so.

People called Romans they go the house

Saints are in transition at the moment, a few old heads retiring or nearing retirement, young lads just coming through, are Saints just treading water and waiting for a big name coach in a season or two when the new stadium is complete?

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

royce simmons coached hull fc also a few years back,when the club was in financial difficulty he ran seven marathons in seven days to raise money! i think im right can a hull fan confirm this?

Yes he did.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

royce simmons coached hull fc also a few years back,when the club was in financial difficulty he ran seven marathons in seven days to raise money! i think im right can a hull fan confirm this?

He did - can't remember the exact figures but he certainly put some personal effort in.

I think he'll go well for saints - not sure if he'll run marathons for them though!!! ;)

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

As a RL fan I think Saints needed a big name to take them into the new stadium and take the youngsters coming through into the big time.

As a Wire fan I am delighted at Simmons appointment! :D

As a RL fan I think Saints needed a big name to take them into the new stadium and take the youngsters coming through into the big time.

As a Wire fan I am delighted at Simmons appointment! :D

Shaun Mcrae, no one had heared of before he came to Saints

Hanley had no coaching career to speak of before Saints

Milward was coach of Leigh had not won anything

Daniel Anderson was NZ coach, but I maybe wrong in thinking that they were not going great guns at that time.

Potter well we'll see what he does this year but he was SL coach of the year so could be argued he was an up and coming young coach making a name for himself.

I think Royce will do well if he gains the respect of the players and installs some discipline in defence that has been costing us recently. Defending down the pitch we look great we can keep a team pegged in their own half for a few sets of 6 per match, but once a penalty is given and they march down field our line defence looks pretty pourous.

So a bit more steal in line defense and a few new ideas in attack would not go astray. If he then gets a full season out of Eastmond, I think Saints will be there or there abouts. Also I don't see many big name coaches from oz coming over any time soon. Can't remember the last one really, most have been assistants looking to progress their name and then go back to take a head coach role. I suppose Bluey was the last successful coach, international, but successful. The rest have all been understudy including the current incumbants at most clubs.

Can anyone name the last NRL head coach to come to the UK. Unless you count Shaun Mcrae to Salford.

Edited by bewareshadows

It's all about da bass

As others have said, this is correct, but it wasn't to help the club survive financially, it was to raise the money to ensure the signing of Des Hasler.

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes at Saints, good memories from him at Hull but he was at the club in a difficult time and, as his marathon efforts suggest, had his financial hands tied.

All the very best wishes from me at least, hope Saints go well under his regime.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I don't think anyone could class Royce Simmons as an up and coming coach - he must be about 50. Surely if he was any good he would've been snapped up by someone in the 9 years since he was sacked by Penrith. He doesn't come with a good track record, unlike many of his predecessors (Potter, Anderson, Millward etc.). Still, at least they've got all those good young players coming through...

I don't think anyone could class Royce Simmons as an up and coming coach - he must be about 50. Surely if he was any good he would've been snapped up by someone in the 9 years since he was sacked by Penrith. He doesn't come with a good track record, unlike many of his predecessors (Potter, Anderson, Millward etc.). Still, at least they've got all those good young players coming through...

I recall having this same conversation with my relatives over the signing of Millward, they all thought he was a poor signing, had won nothing, he went ok as a coach until he started insulting everyone. Still the most successful Saints coach ever.

It's all about da bass