Widnes v Leigh result

18 -38

20 unanswered points in second half - reads to have been a cracker if you're a Leigh fan

50 or so completed the sponsored walk from Leigh - well done to them - I bet any aching was blown away by the result

Would be interested to hear from anyone who watched the game for a match report - we may not be going anywhere but this result will lift the supporters and team, who have been on a bit of a downer since the NRC semi. Wish I could have gone today - attendance 3356

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

18 -38

20 unanswered points in second half - reads to have been a cracker if you're a Leigh fan

50 or so completed the sponsored walk from Leigh - well done to them - I bet any aching was blown away by the result

Would be interested to hear from anyone who watched the game for a match report - we may not be going anywhere but this result will lift the supporters and team, who have been on a bit of a downer since the NRC semi. Wish I could have gone today - attendance 3356

It sounded like a cracker on the radio.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It sounded like a cracker on the radio.

yes I meant to listen, but missed it because I went for a little nap at 1pm and awoke a few minutes after the final whistle :blush:

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Aint there a Leigh forum on here, bad enough listening bout it, now i gotta read it ffs

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Leigh dominated the first 20, Widnes the second 20, then all Leigh in the 2nd half. The ref was awful but we where terrible. I think we have too many DR players and new faces to show any kind of cohesion. If Leigh play like they did in the 2nd half, they wont be far from the Grand Final come October!

Feel free to take a Referees Course - then again,you've got to have a certain level of knowledge,intelligence,fitness,desire and enthusiasm.Better if you stick to your armchair.

Who the hell rattled your cage? All I said was that it was a awful refereeing performance, just like I said we where terrible. I don't see you asking me to put my boots back on because of the criticism of my team!

Idiot! :rolleyes:

Who the hell rattled your cage? All I said was that it was a awful refereeing performance, just like I said we where terrible. I don't see you asking me to put my boots back on because of the criticism of my team!

Idiot! :rolleyes:

:lol::lol:

In the general scheme of things, does Widnes not making the play-offs matter?

Not really, but to take some momentum into next year when we will hopefully be awarded a licence for SL should be aimed for. Its all well and good having a 'adequate' stadium, youth structure etc but it is first team perfomance that will put bums on seats

In the general scheme of things, does Widnes not making the play-offs matter?

At first glance no, however, attendances, financial stability and viability all come into the mix.

If Widnes as a club think that they can sit back and say we've got the trophy box ticked, we've got the youth box ticked, therefore the rest doesn't matter then they could come unstuck.

O'Conner may be bankrolling them but they can't afford to let crowds and income drop, there are other clubs out there who will be looking to step in if Widnes make the slightest of slips.

Having said all that I suspect next season you may see a different Widnes team and attitude, this year was about the youth box, a second major point scorer, I think next year they may go for a bit of blow everyone out of the water attitude.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

At first glance no, however, attendances, financial stability and viability all come into the mix.

If Widnes as a club think that they can sit back and say we've got the trophy box ticked, we've got the youth box ticked, therefore the rest doesn't matter then they could come unstuck.

O'Conner may be bankrolling them but they can't afford to let crowds and income drop, there are other clubs out there who will be looking to step in if Widnes make the slightest of slips.

Having said all that I suspect next season you may see a different Widnes team and attitude, this year was about the youth box, a second major point scorer, I think next year they may go for a bit of blow everyone out of the water attitude.

Thing is Ed.

The crowds are still better than everyone else's in the division anyway.

And its hardly as if they've been blowing everyone out of site.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Thing is Ed.

The crowds are still better than everyone else's in the division anyway.

And its hardly as if they've been blowing everyone out of site.

On point one, is the trend better than everyone else's?

Just as in a game on the field momentum is everything.

OY 'ang on a fekin minute you Widnes fekin tossers (try some language you may understand).

You seem to keep coming back at me as if I'm having a go at Widnes, I have done nothing but praise the club and their strategy since O'Conner moved on from the disappointment of the club going bust and screwing up your return to SL (a blessing in disguise for the club).

Read my posts for what they are and not what you think in your persecuted minds you think they are.

:D

Widnes have never really had their foot on the gas since winning the NRC and this shows how daft the current box-ticking system is for "promotion" out of NL1

If their had been a points scoing system for winning the NRC, getting to a NL1 GF and winning the NLGF, with the winner being promoted (so long as other boxes were ticked - if not the second place team goes up) it would have been more acceptable, though 3 years is still too long for a single measly promotion spot.

It would be good if you could have secured points in the following way:

Get to a Challenge Cup Semi-Final: 2 point

Win NRC: 2 points

Get to NL1 GF: 2 points

Get to a Challenge Cup final: 3 points :O

Win NL1 GF: 3 points

Win Challenge Cup Final: 4 points :O

If this were the case, this would be the current table

Barrow: 3 points

Halifax: 2 points

Widnes: 2 points

Batley: 2 points

If there was a tie after 3 years there could be a play-off

In this scenario, Widnes would have had to really get to a NL1 GF to stand any chance of promotion, and that would be fair

Winning the Northern Rail Cup or the Grand Final should be a great honour on its own. The problem comes with the franchise system which, no matter how hard the RFL try to dress it up, overshadows the whole season. Thus the perception is that Widnes aren't really that bothered. And then there was the hysterical reaction to Leigh's possible relegation last year which would've prevented them from being able to apply for a franchise.

The fundemental question that needs to be answered is whether you want a league set up to be for the betterment of the game and the national team, or do you want a league set up to satisfy the demands of all the member clubs. The two are very different things. At the moment we have a sort of half-way house system trying to please both camps, and I really don't think it's working.

Brilliant result for Leigh today, Widnes might not even make the playoffs which would be a shame.

what do mean mick "might not make the play offs"...............................we definitely wont make the play offs.........

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Winning the Northern Rail Cup or the Grand Final should be a great honour on its own. The problem comes with the franchise system which, no matter how hard the RFL try to dress it up, overshadows the whole season. Thus the perception is that Widnes aren't really that bothered. And then there was the hysterical reaction to Leigh's possible relegation last year which would've prevented them from being able to apply for a franchise.

The fundemental question that needs to be answered is whether you want a league set up to be for the betterment of the game and the national team, or do you want a league set up to satisfy the demands of all the member clubs. The two are very different things. At the moment we have a sort of half-way house system trying to please both camps, and I really don't think it's working.

How is alientating all clubs/fans of non-SL clubs, good for the game and the National team?

If you assume that non-heartland teams could be ring fenced in a P&R system, then the only clubs benefiting from this nobhead franchising system we have are Cas, Wakey, Salford and Bradford. Are their crowds much higher now than they were under P&R? Compare that with how poor crowds are in NL1 (compared to how they would be with P&R - Widnes V Leigh was half of what it would have been with P&R - check the equivalent fixture in the early 2000's)

To be honest I think that strengthening the club game in the heartlands and in pastures new, is the best way to help the national team. The only way to do that is to have a proper pyramid structure in place

How is alientating all clubs/fans of non-SL clubs, good for the game and the National team?

If you assume that non-heartland teams could be ring fenced in a P&R system, then the only clubs benefiting from this nobhead franchising system we have are Cas, Wakey, Salford and Bradford. Are their crowds much higher now than they were under P&R? Compare that with how poor crowds are in NL1 (compared to how they would be with P&R - Widnes V Leigh was half of what it would have been with P&R - check the equivalent fixture in the early 2000's)

To be honest I think that strengthening the club game in the heartlands and in pastures new, is the best way to help the national team. The only way to do that is to have a proper pyramid structure in place

I wasn't saying that alienating the fans was good for the game. I just don't think a return to p+r as it used to be would help the game anymore than the current system of franchising does. Player development is the most critical issue facing the game, and the short-term mentality that p+r brings won't help that one bit.

I know you'll give me a thousand reasons why, but I don't recall Leigh adding a great deal to Super League back in 2005. :ph34r:

The only way to do that is to have a proper pyramid structure in place

To surmise the last year or so.

We want our oval ball game played in a pyramid structure based in rectangular stadia?

All pear shaped.... ;)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010