INTRERNATIONAL REPRSESENTATION

It's disguting isn't it?

Perhaps someone shoiuld tell 50 year old Jamaican Merlene Ottey who will now represent Slovenia in the Olympics. She took part in the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Athletics in terms of geographical spread and numbers is one of the biggest sports on earth. They don't have abeef with it. Good for them

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone shoiuld tell 50 year old Jamaican Merlene Ottey who will now represent Slovenia in the Olympics. She took part in the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

They should, she aint Slovenian, if thats true cos i dont read papers, what the hell she doing over there :D

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

It's disguting isn't it?

Athletics in terms of geographical spread and numbers is one of the biggest sports on earth. They don't have abeef with it. Good for them

Disgusting...........well you used that description.

Farcical would be a far more appropriate and certainly more accurate one.

There is on this theme no logical ending and it could ultimately ( although I admit unlikely ) result in an individual sportsperson representing any country they decide to visit, if the inducement proves worthwhile.

It is I suppose " modern.... ahem" 21st century, y'know, sort of thing.

Presumably you would argue, that not to go along with this sort of programme and to deny its efficacy is retrograde and could be viewed as old hat/fartish?

I contend that if for expedient reasons (which usually in any final analyses they prove to be) an individual finds it distasteful to continue representing their country of birth, for something as superficial as sport is really, then to hell with it and let them change on a weekly, daily basis even!

Three year rulings and the like are yet again just another form of usefulness in this entire charade and quite honestly are an insult to intelligence.

Disgusting...........well you used that description.

Farcical would be a far more appropriate and certainly more accurate one.

There is on this theme no logical ending and it could ultimately ( although I admit unlikely ) result in an individual sportsperson representing any country they decide to visit, if the inducement proves worthwhile.

It is I suppose " modern.... ahem" 21st century, y'know, sort of thing.

Presumably you would argue, that not to go along with this sort of programme and to deny its efficacy is retrograde and could be viewed as old hat/fartish?

I contend that if for expedient reasons (which usually in any final analyses they prove to be) an individual finds it distasteful to continue representing their country of birth, for something as superficial as sport is really, then to hell with it and let them change on a weekly, daily basis even!

Three year rulings and the like are yet again just another form of usefulness in this entire charade and quite honestly are an insult to intelligence.

pesonally it doesn't bother me, hence the slight sarcasm. I don't go for the idea of countries in that big a way.

However the case of Ottey, which has gone fairly unremarked upon-apart from her age, which is quite an achievement, flies in the face a little of the idea that 'only rugby league does this: and we are a laughing stock'. A major world wide sport doesn't have a beef with it and nobody seem to mind.

Keeping it local

They should, she aint Slovenian, if thats true cos i dont read papers, what the hell she doing over there :D

Technically she is a naturalised Slovenian, having lived there for many years and taken Slovenian citizenship.

Taking an absolutist 'no' judgement, who should US citizen Martina Navratilova have played for? Czechoslovakia no longer exists. :P

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our big problem is in fact that we aren't a big international sport. That's why we can't get away with it. It happens in soccer but who is going to care. Soccer is too big for any criticism about such things to matter and I reckon maybe that's why there is such little criticism.

True; in the last FIFA world cup, the two Boateng bothers played against each other. One for Ghana and one for Germany. If Rugby League had done such a thing, can you imagine the jeering from the usual suspects?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The acid test for me is this.

If Tonga and England were to be drawn together in a tournament, would he be happy playing for England or would his heart lie with Tonga.

If the latter then he couldn't possibly be comitted to England at any time and therefore not worthy of selection.

The acid test for me is this.

If Tonga and England were to be drawn together in a tournament, would he be happy playing for England or would his heart lie with Tonga.

If the latter then he couldn't possibly be comitted to England at any time and therefore not worthy of selection.

...or for the land of his birth.

To me I'm more concerned that he played for somewhere else less than 12 months ago. Is he actually resident here at all or does he go "home" off season. Has he got a UK passport.....has he even applied>

There's 10 types of people in the world...those who understand binary and those that don't

Technically she is a naturalised Slovenian, having lived there for many years and taken Slovenian citizenship.

I gathered that but off all the places to go, why Slovenia?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

It's disguting isn't it?

Athletics is not a team sport. Fundamentally it's irrelevant what the flag on the vest is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

True; in the last FIFA world cup, the two Boateng bothers played against each other. One for Ghana and one for Germany. If Rugby League had done such a thing, can you imagine the jeering from the usual suspects?
Actually, aside from the usual suspects like Jones, Moore etc. who find fault out of nothing then most of the complaints come from RL fans.

I remember when the 2008 WC was approaching, there was all sorts of negativity from many RL fans about the fact that the Scotland and Ireland squads were made up of players with English and Aussie accents, yet their local press didn't care less. They are used to interviewing their sports stars and them having an Aussie accent, yet we have a huge chip on our shoulders about it.

Don't agree with changing nation mind, IMHO Manu should be nowhere near the squad.

True; in the last FIFA world cup, the two Boateng bothers played against each other.

The important bit being that they now cannot play for any other country.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It happens in soccer but who is going to care.

When has it happened in soccer?

Full internationals of the last 20 years only please ...

Tbf they have different dads so that might have something to do with them playing for different nationalities.

I don't right care what other sports do, but that Ottey situation is not right (though she must be an incredible athelete). Once you've run for Jamaica, it's Jamaica for you.

Same in RL. Pick your country. Then it's done.

Athletics is not a team sport. Fundamentally it's irrelevant what the flag on the vest is.

I think you'll find the relay event is

and countrys send athletics teams to championships, olympic games and so on.

Keeping it local

I think you'll find the relay event is

and countrys send athletics teams to championships, olympic games and so on.

As Michael Johnson says: nobody grows up dreaming of winning the relay.

And countries may send them but it's indivdual athletes competing for individual medals.

There might be three Jamaicans in the 100m final but they're not running for team gold but for individual glory.

I don't right care what other sports do, but that Ottey situation is not right (though she must be an incredible athelete).

it doesn't bother me much mark

but it surely means that the old 'no other sport but ours does this and we are a laughing stock' mantra is irrelevant.

Keeping it local

As Michael Johnson says: nobody grows up dreaming of winning the relay.

And countries may send them but it's indivdual athletes competing for individual medals.

There might be three Jamaicans in the 100m final but they're not running for team gold but for individual glory.

maybe maybe not.

let's assume you are right.

why should it be different?

it's a game. It isn't international diplomacy or anything.

Keeping it local

I gathered that but off all the places to go, why Slovenia?

Quote from the lady herself: "There was this big fuss (in Jamaica) because people said 'you're too old' and I thought fine, if I'm too old I'll find another country where I'm appreciated"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Willie Manu was born and raised in Australia, as a teenager he played for the Junior Kiwis, then as an adult played for Tonga and now seems to want to play for England. That in itself tells you all you need to know about his motivation in all of this; he'd play for anyone who offered him a game at the highest level of our sport.

This is also demonstrated in the statement his club released last week. Manu talked about the challenge of playing against the best in the world, etc, etc. At no point did he say anything about this being his home, being settled here, considering himself one of us, wanting to give something back, or anything else approaching a statement of commitment. He simply wants to play test RL and will turn out for whoever will give him a game.

To my mind, he has no right to pull on an England jersey. As a point of principle it would be fundamentally wrong.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959