INTRERNATIONAL REPRSESENTATION

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, aside from the usual suspects like Jones, Moore etc. who find fault out of nothing then most of the complaints come from RL fans.

I remember when the 2008 WC was approaching, there was all sorts of negativity from many RL fans about the fact that the Scotland and Ireland squads were made up of players with English and Aussie accents, yet their local press didn't care less. They are used to interviewing their sports stars and them having an Aussie accent, yet we have a huge chip on our shoulders about it.

Don't agree with changing nation mind, IMHO Manu should be nowhere near the squad.

It doesn't bother me one iota about the make up of the Scottish and Irish squads Dave as long as they are eligible by the rules and haven't played for anyone else prior. You and I had this discussion when Bridge dumped Ireland and played for England.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Quote from the lady herself: "There was this big fuss (in Jamaica) because people said 'you're too old' and I thought fine, if I'm too old I'll find another country where I'm appreciated"

Getting there but why there?

Why not say England?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

It doesn't bother me one iota about the make up of the Scottish and Irish squads Dave as long as they are eligible by the rules and haven't played for anyone else prior. You and I had this discussion when Bridge dumped Ireland and played for England.

Absolutely agree, but there were plenty of League fans who did kick up a stink and talked the game and theWC down due to it.

Changing nation is a farce.

What next, are we going to put Matt King in the centres for England this year?

Didnt Pat Richards turn England down cos our Australian friend "felt" more Irish?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

For me the Sporting World is a joke. Should just be Born in the country or has a Parent or Grandparent who came from the Nation. And you can only represent ONE Nation in ANY SPORT! People like Ottey, Manu etc for me have no real tie or pride in the nation they want to represent. The Residency ruling is a joke that is abused. If we must have it then should be something like 10 or 15 years Residency not just a couple of years like now! I would love for the RLIF to be stronger on this area but sadly expect no change.

it doesn't bother me much mark

but it surely means that the old 'no other sport but ours does this and we are a laughing stock' mantra is irrelevant.

Oh yes, that's tishtosh. Like I said, other sports don't right bother me.

There's loads of people who have parents of different nationalities, are born in one place but live in another, 'feel' they are a certain nationality, etc. All fine in my book.

But..

As far as RL is concerned...

Pick your country. Stick with it. All your career.

I think you'll find the relay event is

and countrys send athletics teams to championships, olympic games and so on.

I thought you stated you didn't do Countries? Funny that, as the World is constituted by them.

Some sort of internationalist are you, pray tell do you go to support England R/L against AustraliaR/L, or contend to be a complete neutral on the matter?

You cannot have it both way's, or can you?

It's disguting isn't it?

Perhaps someone shoiuld tell 50 year old Jamaican Merlene Ottey who will now represent Slovenia in the Olympics. She took part in the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Athletics in terms of geographical spread and numbers is one of the biggest sports on earth. They don't have abeef with it. Good for them

50 years old is knocking on for a sprinter.

Other than that I'm right with you. The story here is "Slovenian athlete represents Slovenia" and is therefore a non story.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

The important bit being that they now cannot play for any other country.

Which seems grotesquely unfair given that they can still go on and become citizens of another country with all the rights and responsibilities that implies.

As far as I'm concerned you should be eligible to play for any country you like provided you have a valid passport for that country. I'd have a "cup-tied" rule to prevent you playing for two countries in the same tournament. Other than that, let people play for the country or countries they belong to.

I'm totally comfortable with Willie Manu playing for this country if he's got a UK passport. My only problem with Maurie Fa'asavalu was that when he played for GB he wasn't a UK citizen.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

As far as I'm concerned you should be eligible to play for any country you like provided you have a valid passport for that country.

I disagree with you but at least that would be consistent and fairly easy to check.

It wouldn't however stop the Scotland/Wales/England/Ireland interchange which could all be done on the same passport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I thought you stated you didn't do Countries? Funny that, as the World is constituted by them.

Some sort of internationalist are you, pray tell do you go to support England R/L against AustraliaR/L, or contend to be a complete neutral on the matter?

You cannot have it both way's, or can you?

not in a big way I don't. I detest nationalism, I think patriotism is a con.

when England/GB play australia, I want england/gb to win because it is good for rugby league. many Australians think this.

my point relates to the mantra that rugby league is a laughing stock because it allows players to play for more than one country, and clearly thiss is not true, because one of the main sports on the planet does this: rightly or wrongly. Personally it doesn't bother me that much.

Edit: By the way, what's this about 'not doing countrys'. Don't put words into peopples' mouths. I said no such thing.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Which seems grotesquely unfair given that they can still go on and become citizens of another country with all the rights and responsibilities that implies.

As far as I'm concerned you should be eligible to play for any country you like provided you have a valid passport for that country. I'd have a "cup-tied" rule to prevent you playing for two countries in the same tournament. Other than that, let people play for the country or countries they belong to.

I'm totally comfortable with Willie Manu playing for this country if he's got a UK passport. My only problem with Maurie Fa'asavalu was that when he played for GB he wasn't a UK citizen.

Ice Hockey has a similar rule, whereby you need to be a citizen of the country you play for. If a player changes nationality, having never played for his first country, then he needs to prove he has played two consecutive years in the domestic competition of his new country. If he has already played internationally before switching then this needs to be four years.

I could probably live with that.

btw Willie Manu is not a UK citizen.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

my point relates to the mantra that rugby league is a laughing stock because it allows players to play for more than one country, and clearly thiss is not true, because one of the main sports on the planet does this: rightly or wrongly. Personally it doesn't bother me that much.

I think you'll find that in fact both Rugby League and Athletics have laughable international eligibility policies.

Hope this helps.

I think you'll find that in fact both Rugby League and Athletics have laughable international eligibility policies.

Hope this helps.

that's what I'm saying

the recieved wisdom is that rugby league is the only sport to do this.

union does it by inventing mze like regulkations to circumvent these little inconveniences.

Did it help? Nah.

Keeping it local

that's what I'm saying

the recieved wisdom is that rugby league is the only sport to do this.

union does it by inventing mze like regulkations to circumvent these little inconveniences.

Did it help? Nah.

"Maze like"?

Once a player chooses a country at open level (ie not age group / school boy etc) at either 1st XV or 2nd XV level or at Sevens they are tied to that country and cannot play for anyone else.

Yeah, terribly complex :rolleyes:

Getting there but why there?

Why not say England?

I think (not 100% certain) that her coach was Slovenian, so that would probably be down to him being persuasive.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

my point relates to the mantra that rugby league is a laughing stock because it allows players to play for more than one country, and clearly thiss is not true, because one of the main sports on the planet does this: rightly or wrongly.

Rugby league IS a laughing stock to it's own supporters for allowing nation hopping. I don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter, want it to have firm rules to prevent nation hopping occuring. I don't give a toss what athletics or any other sport does.

rldfsignature.jpg

Rugby league IS a laughing stock to it's own supporters for allowing nation hopping. I don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter, want it to have firm rules to prevent nation hopping occuring. I don't give a toss what athletics or any other sport does.

Me too, second that entirely.

Begging your pardon...........................I rest my case on that note, chum!! :O

what case?

we all have our own world view.

Keeping it local

what case?

we all have our own world view.

Maybe that is so but I was simply displaying your statement concerning the part of not DOING countries. I have already heard of your views otherwise and frankly I am not interested in them.

All I can say is thank God that women and children won't have to rely on you to pick up your musket and provide them with protection. :angry:

Maybe that is so but I was simply displaying your statement concerning the part of not DOING countries. I have already heard of your views otherwise and frankly I am not interested in them.

All I can say is thank God that women and children won't have to rely on you to pick up your musket and provide them with protection. :angry:

And who exactly would him and his musket be defending them from?

If a person is born in New Zealand, has parents / grandparents from Samoa and ends up living and playing in England it is entirely believable that they could have a desire to represent any of the countries. Having been born in England to English parents the only country i would have a desire to play for would be England, but that doesn't mean i want to stop others representing the nations they feel a connection to.