INTRERNATIONAL REPRSESENTATION

Didnt Pat Richards turn England down cos our Australian friend "felt" more Irish?

Maybe he felt more Irish because both his parents were Irish. If you watch his interview on Skys super leagues supermen it is clear to see he was proud to represent the country of his parents.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rugby league IS a laughing stock to it's own supporters for allowing nation hopping. I don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter, want it to have firm rules to prevent nation hopping occuring. I don't give a toss what athletics or any other sport does.

I also don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter am happy that we as a sport allow players to play for the countries they choose to represent.

And who exactly would him and his musket be defending them from?

If a person is born in New Zealand, has parents / grandparents from Samoa and ends up living and playing in England it is entirely believable that they could have a desire to represent any of the countries. Having been born in England to English parents the only country i would have a desire to play for would be England, but that doesn't mean i want to stop others representing the nations they feel a connection to.

So in your eyes your hypothetical player could quite happily represent all three nations witout any quibbles from yourself?

rldfsignature.jpg

I also don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter am happy that we as a sport allow players to play for the countries they choose to represent.

If you want England to become a SL Allstars side then fine, lobby for that then buy a ticket.

As a RL supporter Id prefer that the England RL team represented the state of our game in this country and was made up of people who were born and grew up here

Picking a team from players witha technicality in their parents birth certificate or who blew in from overseas and lived here for a few years and fancied their chances devalues teh international game eyond credibility

Maybe that is so but I was simply displaying your statement concerning the part of not DOING countries. I have already heard of your views otherwise and frankly I am not interested in them.

All I can say is thank God that women and children won't have to rely on you to pick up your musket and provide them with protection. :angry:

you still don't get it

and you don't have a clue about where I stand on defending my homeand you ignoramus

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Why not just adopt the same policy as Origin, wherever your first amateur club was situated will determin which country you are eligable to play for - simple and unbreakable!

If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

titansnewsword2.jpg

Ice Hockey has a similar rule, whereby you need to be a citizen of the country you play for. If a player changes nationality, having never played for his first country, then he needs to prove he has played two consecutive years in the domestic competition of his new country. If he has already played internationally before switching then this needs to be four years.

I could probably live with that.

btw Willie Manu is not a UK citizen.

It seems like the Ice Hockey types have got it all sorted out to me.

And if Willie Manu is not a UK citizen then I don't see how he should be eligible to play for this country.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

So in your eyes your hypothetical player could quite happily represent all three nations witout any quibbles from yourself?

I'd be happy for this hypothetical player to represent any of these nations but once he's chosen one he has to stick with it.

It's disguting isn't it?

Perhaps someone shoiuld tell 50 year old Jamaican Merlene Ottey who will now represent Slovenia in the Olympics. She took part in the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Athletics in terms of geographical spread and numbers is one of the biggest sports on earth. They don't have abeef with it. Good for them

Saw five minutes of athletics tonight, a 100m heat.

One of the athletes with an American name was respresenting Austria, another representing Norway and a banned drugs cheat was representing GB.

Lets not lose our credibility to that extent

Saw five minutes of athletics tonight, a 100m heat.

One of the athletes with an American name was respresenting Austria, another representing Norway and a banned drugs cheat was representing GB.

Lets not lose our credibility to that extent

what's an american name?

Swarzenegger?

Sinatra?

garcia?

Two Rivers?

how can someone who is banned be representing GB? If you are banned you are not allowed to compete.

who should Kris radlinski have represented if the origin of your name defines your nationality?

What about danny Cipriani?

Keeping it local

what's an american name?

Swarzenegger?

Sinatra?

garcia?

Two Rivers?

how can someone who is banned be representing GB? If you are banned you are not allowed to compete.

who should Kris radlinski have represented if the origin of your name defines your nationality?

What about danny Cipriani?

The start list for the 100m heats included:-

Ryan Moseley (Austria) - actually English (rather than American, my mistake, my assumption was that most black sprinters with Angliscised names that I hadnt heard of were probably American)

Saidy Ndure (Norway) - actaully Gambian

Dmirty Glushchenko (Israel) actually Ukranian

Franci Obikwelu (Portugal) actually Nigerian

Forom ths minute snapshot of one event it seems if you like your sport populated by soldiers of fortune, it seems track athletics is as good as any. If youre not good enough for your country, go and find a country you are good enough for.

Id hate this to be the case in RL

You know what I mean about Chambers.

The start list for the 100m heats included:-

Ryan Moseley (Austria) - actually English (rather than American, my mistake, my assumption was that most black sprinters with Angliscised names that I hadnt heard of were probably American)

Forom ths minute snapshot of one event it seems if you like your sport populated by soldiers of fortune, it seems track athletics is as good as any. If youre not good enough for your country, go and find a country you are good enough for.

Quite so and thats the way it will all go, for as I said there is no logical ending to were this can lead to.

Good description that too " soldiers of fortune " ;) sums the entire charade up completely.

I just wonder how many of these bold athletes/sportsmen would be so keen on changes of nationality if they really had to face some proper bullets?

• The start list for the 100m heats included:-

You know what I mean about Chambers.

no I don't know what you mean about chambers.

he cheated by using banned substances, was punished and served his punisshment: end of.

I take on board your views

but please don't assume that a person's name denotes where they are from.

Anthony Miniccelo is Australian

Rolf Harris is Australian

Kurt Sorensen is Australian

Mario Fenech is Australian

what's an australian name?

what's an English name?

Radlinski?

Butt?

Penkywicz?

Keeping it local

Quite so and thats the way it will all go, for as I said there is no logical ending to were this can lead to.

Good description that too " soldiers of fortune " ;) sums the entire charade up completely.

I just wonder how many of these bold athletes/sportsmen would be so keen on changes of nationality if they really had to face some proper bullets?

all ptofessional sports people are soldiers of fortune.

your last sentence is as childish as your previous comment on another post.

we are talking about people playing games and sports.

Keeping it local

Is he? Thieving Kiwis at it again.

of course he isn't d'oh!

but the point still stands, in fact it's reinforced

I was thinking of Paul Sironen :blush:

Keeping it local

[*]

but please don't assume that a person's name denotes where they are from.

That wasnt my point. The characters I saw lining up clearly had no heritage from the nations they were representing. I could have defined two of them by skin colour but (lest anyone get touchy and accusative) preferred to do so by name.

Shock appointment by the British Olympic Committee today as Steve Macnamara was poached from England RL; "Were going for gearld in 2012, The whole country will be inspired by Team GB, weve filled our national squad with some second string Ethiopian long distant runners, picked up a few Chinese gymnasts whove been living here for almost a year now and weve got a medal shot in archery with a bloke from Bhutan who has a grandfather from the Isle of Man. I'm doing whats best for Team GB"

Maybe we just forget representitive international competition if the competitors have no relevance to the nations theyre representing?

That wasnt my point. The characters I saw lining up clearly had no heritage from the nations they were representing. I could have defined two of them by skin colour but (lest anyone get touchy and accusative) preferred to do so by name.

Shock appointment by the British Olympic Committee today as Steve Macnamara was poached from England RL; "Were going for gearld in 2012, The whole country will be inspired by Team GB, weve filled our national squad with some second string Ethiopian long distant runners, picked up a few Chinese gymnasts whove been living here for almost a year now and weve got a medal shot in archery with a bloke from Bhutan who has a grandfather from the Isle of Man. I'm doing whats best for Team GB"

Maybe we just forget representitive international competition if the competitors have no relevance to the nations theyre representing?

you can't define anybody by skin colour. I just don't understand that at all.

how would you define tonights widnes halifax referee without knowing where he comes from?

Keeping it local

I gathered that but off all the places to go, why Slovenia?

Because it is one of the most beautifull places on earth.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

you can't define anybody by skin colour. I just don't understand that at all.

how would you define tonights widnes halifax referee without knowing where he comes from?

Maybe not but you can define their origins by the colour of their skin, hence the reasoning behind African Americans, Coloured British, White British............ and all the rest of that nonsense.

Call me old fashioned, I am, but I cheered on people from other countries whenever I appreciated their efforts in any sport I chose to watch.

What I do not and will not condone, is this stupidity, supposedly modernist in outlook, that enables at the drop of a hat anyone to represent anywhere, whether for monetary reward ( which usually holds precedence) or any other given reason.

What Tdub has highlighted is what could easily amount to what could become the accepted norm and it is making a mockery of what once gave us pride in the nations sportspersons now going horribly wrong, all because ' others do it '? So why not R/L too...................... Utter rubbish!

Maybe the alternative to the old fashioned, non-PC international representitive sport as we know it for the meantime is for RL to turn into commercially representitive sport as seen in Formula 1 and pro-cycling.

Scrap the Kangaroos / Kiwis etc and anyone could then play for any team. Best players to the highest payer.

That way we needn't bother with tiresome old traditions like the Haka, national anthems, pride in the shirt etc and qualification would become a non-argument.

We could look forward to a series featuring maybe Engage, Telstra, Rempart, SP and Malaysia Airlines.

It's the future.

Actually, it might be the future.

I don't right care what other sports do, but that Ottey situation is not right (though she must be an incredible athelete). Once you've run for Jamaica, it's Jamaica for you.

Same in RL. Pick your country. Then it's done.

Totally agree.

Maybe not but you can define their origins by the colour of their skin, hence the reasoning behind African Americans, Coloured British, White British............ and all the rest of that nonsense.

Call me old fashioned, I am, but I cheered on people from other countries whenever I appreciated their efforts in any sport I chose to watch.

What I do not and will not condone, is this stupidity, supposedly modernist in outlook, that enables at the drop of a hat anyone to represent anywhere, whether for monetary reward ( which usually holds precedence) or any other given reason.

What Tdub has highlighted is what could easily amount to what could become the accepted norm and it is making a mockery of what once gave us pride in the nations sportspersons now going horribly wrong, all because ' others do it '? So why not R/L too...................... Utter rubbish!

what are your origins?

I sure as hell don't know mine.

becauswe 'others do it' has nothing to do with the point, which is this and I repeat: there is a long standing mantra that only rugby league allows players to play for more than one country. This is untrue, because at least one other sport does-athletics. I'm flexible about these things and said so, but I placed no value on the fact that otheer sports do, merely pointed it out in the context of people saying that only rugby league does it.

Keeping it local

It's actually the more old fashioned view hence why in soccer and union all the people who've represented more than one country are historical quirks.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)