Any truth in the rumour

It was mentioned in another thread (next licensing period one) that Toulouse are planning on dropping out of the Championship due to financial problems. Anyone know if this is true or just rumour mongering?

It was mentioned in another thread (next licensing period one) that Toulouse are planning on dropping out of the Championship due to financial problems. Anyone know if this is true or just rumour mongering?

Probably started by some twitchy Widnes fans ;)

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Very sad if it's true.

(Laughing my t1t$ off mode at paris.) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WTF!!! will he be saying now. :wacko::wacko:

Paris

Marseille

Lyon

Toulouse ............ooooooooooopppppppppppsss.....Bang

Nice

Nantes

Strasbourg

Montpellier

Bordeaux

Rennes

Le Havre

Reims

Lille

Saint-

Edited by 1976PMJwires

Did I understand Mr France rightly that the RFL can directly invite into SL, a club which is not in the Championship. Hence the reason behind them dropping out, allegedly.

Edited by Terry Mullaney

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Did I understand Mr France rightly that the RFL can directly invite into SL, a club which is not in the Championship. Hence the reason behind them dropping out, allegedly.

I thought it was not meeting some of the qualifying criteria; reaching finals etc.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Article in the local La Depeche newspaper 22/07 headline:

Les Minimes : TO XIII, le stade Arnaun

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Very sad if it's true.

(Laughing my t1t$ off mode at paris.) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WTF!!! will he be saying now. :wacko::wacko:

Paris

Marseille

Lyon

Toulouse ............ooooooooooopppppppppppsss.....Bang

Nice

Nantes

Strasbourg

Montpellier

Bordeaux

Rennes

Le Havre

Reims

Lille

Saint-

He's trying to turn it into a positive.

To be honest I'd say the Championship is just for British (and nominally Irish) clubs and say teams can apply for SL if they've made a French Elite 1 in the previous 3 years provided they meet the same criteria as English clubs would have to (perhaps as part of an expansion if a French TV deal comes

I agree he tries to be positive, but the last few months has been too many Ifs buts and maybes

thats my point.

I also agree on the second part of your post.

He's trying to turn it into a positive.

To be honest I'd say the Championship is just for British (and nominally Irish) clubs and say teams can apply for SL if they've made a French Elite 1 in the previous 3 years provided they meet the same criteria as English clubs would have to (perhaps as part of an expansion if a French TV deal comes

"Nominally Irish"???

Rugby League has some really poor strategy.

To put Toulouse into a poorly funded and supported second tier was a joke. RU would never have done that

Also putting a single French team in SL was also a joke. For RL to flourish in France we need at least 3 teams playing SL teams week in week out

Why not have a UK SL of 14-16 teams plus a smaller regional French pool of five (Catalans, Provence, Toulouse, Aude, Dordogne-Lot) teams, where each team somehow plays 28 fixtures with a single league table and a playoff at the end. The French teams could play each other home/away twice and some SL clubs. Extra cash would come from French Satellite channels.

Would require initial investment but would work a treat.

Rugby League has some really poor strategy.

To put Toulouse into a poorly funded and supported second tier was a joke. RU would never have done that

Also putting a single French team in SL was also a joke. For RL to flourish in France we need at least 3 teams playing SL teams week in week out

Why not have a UK SL of 14-16 teams plus a smaller regional French pool of five (Catalans, Provence, Toulouse, Aude, Dordogne-Lot) teams, where each team somehow plays 28 fixtures with a single league table and a playoff at the end. The French teams could play each other home/away twice and some SL clubs. Extra cash would come from French Satellite channels.

Would require initial investment but would work a treat.

Sounds terrible. Really.

You think that 16 Uk teams and 5 French teams would be better than the current setup? It may be something to aspire to, but the standard would be appalling.

I dont thing Lobby is a Million Miles away with 16 in SL. Of course the Turkeys already in SL wont vote for it as 10% of their funding will disappear. The key element would be to bring in a 5% levy on all income for SL clubs to place into a pot for the 2 remaining clubs. If there is a shortfall then so be it but if there is an excess then the balance can be carried over and used as a starter for the following season. Too radical I suppose.

I would also look at Annual Licences with a return to P & R for the two clubs concerned - one from SL & 1 from CC.

I dont thing Lobby is a Million Miles away with 16 in SL. Of course the Turkeys already in SL wont vote for it as 10% of their funding will disappear. The key element would be to bring in a 5% levy on all income for SL clubs to place into a pot for the 2 remaining clubs. If there is a shortfall then so be it but if there is an excess then the balance can be carried over and used as a starter for the following season. Too radical I suppose.

I would also look at Annual Licences with a return to P & R for the two clubs concerned - one from SL & 1 from CC.

I'm happy for the game to work towards a 16 team SL, then 18, then 20 etc. perhaps split into conferences etc.

It was the criticism of the league to put one French team in, suggesting that there should instead of been three more English teams and four more French teams. How the hell would that strengthen the game. I do believe that there should be a clear strategy which has the aim of getting us to this stage, but we had to start somewhere and putting Catalans in was much more sensible than introducing 5 French teams into the SL in one go.

Cas and Wakey out, Widnes and Toulouse (by the back door) in then???

With Salford's new stadium seemingly set they seem safe. Quins are the other doubt due to uncertainty over their ground and their poor crowds, but the London factor should give them another 3 years.

Somehow, I feel that the RFL sending both Cas and Wakey down would lessen the blow somewhat, in a strange way. Fans seem to be finding that they are unwilling to compromise, so maybe 3 years in the Championship would do them good while they sort out their grounds. I'm sure the competition will expand at least to 15 in 2014, after the boom of hosting the World Cup.

Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.

Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

I think we have to be realistic, 16 teams is likely going to be the absolute maximum for a long time to come if we ever want the standard of the competition to improve. Toulouse should be aiming for 2015 now, unless an SL side goes bust before then.

"Nominally Irish"???

Theoretically would probably be a better word. I meant it should be open to British and Irish clubs even if in practice there won't be any of the latter at least in the immediate future

Toulouse should be aiming for 2015 now, unless an SL side goes bust before then.

Even then they're ineligible. If a team goes bust most likely whoever would have gone down will get a reprieve.

Nothing short of a big French TV deal allowing expansion of SL would see them in before 2015 and even then it's not looking likely unfortunately

Sounds terrible. Really.

You think that 16 Uk teams and 5 French teams would be better than the current setup? It may be something to aspire to, but the standard would be appalling.

What a daft thing to say

How would you notice if the standard was appalling? Never does RU any harm anway

For me the standard is to have close games - not necessarily harlem globetrotting, or X-Men power

Best way to have close games is to make sure the best players are spread around, and that might mean a draft system for ANZACS

In the long run the standard would be much better for England, Wales and France as there'd simply be more professionals being top level

How would you notice if the standard was appalling? Never does RU any harm anway

For me the standard is to have close games - not necessarily harlem globetrotting, or X-Men power

Best way to have close games is to make sure the best players are spread around, and that might mean a draft system for ANZACS

In the long run the standard would be much better for England, Wales and France as there'd simply be more professionals being top level

:D You actually have a good point with the bit in bold!

Personally, whilst I was dismissive of your idea, it was more about the fact that I don't think we are anywhere near ready to do that at the moment. I would love to see a French conference, but think this needs to be worked on over a period of time, likewise with getting 3 more English teams in.

My main concern, and going back to the point of the standard being appalling is due to the attitude of the average RL fan in this country. Yep, I know that Union and Football have plenty of dire standard games, but for some reason RL fans are far more critical of their sport than other sport's fans IMHO.

I am happy with the principle of your post, but to suggest that we shouldn't have just put 1 French team in, and we should have had these 21 teams just seems a bit reckless to me, and I would love to see a 10-12 year strategy which has the ultimate aim of your suggestions (with tweaks).

We are already getting fans moaning now though that 14 teams is too many and the standard is lower, which isn't a view I share, but RL fans love to be vocal about the negative things in the game.