Warrington Wolves v St. Helens

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington
    • St Helens
    • Draw

Not confident, but we've seen far worse teams than the current Wire one push Saints close, so its gotta happen sometime.

Problem is that this is a crucial game for 2nd, and I think Saints will be more than up for it and take the 2pts.

Leaving aside history, I cannot see beyond Wire for this. They are simply better equipped up front than Saints, and Saints have been relying on their younger players too much and for too long. Plus, I am gueesing that the semi will loom larger on Saints' minds (given that they like the cash and have a tougher game next week), which must be a factor here, as at Headingley.

Against that, though, we have the Saints' hoodoo over the Wire. I don't believe that teams bottle it. Any player that runs out to face Graham/Morley has more courage than sense. Wire's results are so anomolous statistically that, rather than say "it must end sometime" it bears closer analysis. I have no answers but I wonder whether it could be something to do with Briars under-performing, as he is pretty much the only player on Wire's side involved in the games. Particularly when Long was around, maybe Briars was conscious of having been shown the door by Saints. All groups look to their leaders, and if Briars is cowed, maybe that communicates itself to teh rest of the team? Not much of a theory but you have to start somewhere.

Leaving aside history, I cannot see beyond Wire for this. They are simply better equipped up front than Saints, and Saints have been relying on their younger players too much and for too long. Plus, I am gueesing that the semi will loom larger on Saints' minds (given that they like the cash and have a tougher game next week), which must be a factor here, as at Headingley.

Against that, though, we have the Saints' hoodoo over the Wire. I don't believe that teams bottle it. Any player that runs out to face Graham/Morley has more courage than sense. Wire's results are so anomolous statistically that, rather than say "it must end sometime" it bears closer analysis. I have no answers but I wonder whether it could be something to do with Briars under-performing, as he is pretty much the only player on Wire's side involved in the games. Particularly when Long was around, maybe Briars was conscious of having been shown the door by Saints. All groups look to their leaders, and if Briars is cowed, maybe that communicates itself to teh rest of the team? Not much of a theory but you have to start somewhere.

On your first, line, ###### off! People always tip us in the week leading up to it, I'm taking sam's approach and I plead with you all to too!

On your second paragraph, tbf to Briers, it is always a big game for him personally, and he has very often been our best player, and has often outplayed Long (apart from the inevitable last second drop goal!).

God knows what it is, tbh I just think that it is a bit of a freak thing, as quite often we have been the better team for much of the game (as much as the losing team can be the better team) but have just been soft when it comes to the crucial moments. Saints have very very rarely failed to turn up and play in these games, but similarly, we have always seemed content to just stick with them, and be happy if we were close at half time, even when we were by far the better team.

We need to be ruthless, and we have shown some signs of that this year, but as I say, I'm going with the pessimistic outlook!

Hopefully a win to the Wire and Saints get tired out

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Since the 90's, we've developed a nasty habit of losing to Saints, it's almost a feckin tradition now.

Some seasons totally outclaseed, eg 80-0, 70-6, far too often being better for 70 mins, but never, ever getting to a safe margin and falling at the death.

It's a mental block, now, and a very big monkey to shake off.

With cup semis the following week, both teams could have other issues on their mind.

I can't see us being better placed going into this stage in the season again next year, and I suspect Wembley could be more important to Saints this season than to us, though I'm not saying we should throw the semi.

However, I think if we're ever going to shake that monkey off our backs, this is as good a chance as last time we beat them.

I'm not confident we will, though, it's them Saints, it's a mental/traditional thing now, logic isn't in it, I think another last 5 mins of heartbreak could be in the offing.

Saints at the death by 3.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

1 win out of 42 SL games

Last Wire win 2001

2 Semi final games for Wires, big big test of their mental and inner strength.

Wires 34 Saints 22

followed by a BIG win over the Cats.

Lets say, TS gave them the b0llocking of their lives after the Catalan game, Trust me i have been doing some work with the club over the last few weeks.

I've previously pinned my colours to the mast, only it seems I did it without any impression. Hmmph. :dry:

Love meeeeee! :(

:D your not usually as big a jinx as Mick so dont have the same impact

Do love you though ;):wub: xx

St Helens by 18 points.

Warrington are leaking too many at the back of late.

So are Saints - exhibit A - 34 points conceded in home game v Salford.

A big week for both teams with tough CC semi action the following weekend. Saints to shade it on Saturday with no more injuries please.

Warrington 80,St.Helens............................0.

REVENGE AT LAST! :rolleyes:

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

I think this is Wire's for the taking. Saints are not going to push it with Leeds next week in the cup.

Saying that this is the bogey team, I just cant imagine walking out of the HJ with that winning feeling.

Hope I am wrong! :rolleyes:

after careful consideration, taking into account potential line-ups, future games, current form, the game venue etc. i can safely say we're gonna get d!cked. again.

foxes or poor people?

after careful consideration, taking into account potential line-ups, future games, current form, the game venue etc. i can safely say we're gonna get d!cked. again.

Liking the fact you have considered it this time ;)

Having seen tonight's game, if I was Potter I would rest all my key players and take it easy tomorrow. He has seen Leeds get 2 players placed on report, both of whom you could expect to be banned if they weren't Leeds players, plus give everything and come up a long way short in heavy conditions. They aren't going to be caught for 3rd and Wembley brings big money.

Having seen tonight's game, if I was Potter I would rest all my key players and take it easy tomorrow. He has seen Leeds get 2 players placed on report, both of whom you could expect to be banned if they weren't Leeds players, plus give everything and come up a long way short in heavy conditions. They aren't going to be caught for 3rd and Wembley brings big money.

please don't cheapen our win tomorrow.

Oh give it a rest you would think only leeds players escaped suspentions.What happend to tompkins last week for his cheap potentially jaw breaking shot on myler last week.........nothing.