Amateur Rugby League

Im 24, Grew up in Altrincham south Manchester / Cheshire didnt get into rugby till i was at uni played for Chester uni, from 2004-8, wanted to play when i moved home but meant travelling across the city to get to a club. so started my own club with the help of a Manchester Development officer, unfortuantley that never got off the ground and ended up playing rugby union for a year at Altrincham Kersal. Tried again 2 years ago to set up a new club in Manchester after the demise of the Manchester Knights and along with 3 other enthusiasts we formed Mancunians RL based in Manchester's BBroughton Park RUFC a good clubhouse modern with stand and fenced pitch. excellent facilities and easy acess so it was the obvious choice rather than going to play at an old muddy club. We attract players from all over Manchester and have a number of players come over from Warrington. started in the merit league last year, did well in that got more players on board, started a social 2nd team, this year been promoted to the RLC NW Regional, and have just won the Grand final, playing Parkside Hawks the winners of the Yorkshire RLC Regional this sunday in a national quarter final at Rochdale Mayfield. 2nd team made the semi final of the merit league.

So many people in Manchester love rugby League... where are you all.. come on down!!

Im 24

So many people in Manchester love rugby League... where are you all.. come on down!!

good on ya Mark (and your mates)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

cheers! hoping to grow the club for the next summer season, may be playin NWC rugby league over winter somewhere i know a few of our lads from other clubs so looking forward to it.

If any manchester dwellers are keen to get involved in playing or helping, or just watching then give us a shout.

Might give them a go.Thanks for that.

no worries man. I meant Pro-Rugby Direct.

Whoah! Christ! That's a meteroic rise! Nice one man.

Sorry, but that reminds me of the gay batman in Shameless: "Well, I know I'm not the only one in here who gets a hard on when the Rugby Leagues on telly". I only mentioned that as it's set in Manchester & shows Mancunians 'love' Rugby League. Joking. :D

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Ha ha well played! they actually film shameless round the corner from me in Wythenshawe.

Hope to be setting up a juniors side by next season, maybe a womens team too. its a great venue also, has its own raised stand and new changing rooms building etc.

Hopefully winning some silver wear will attract some more attention to the club

Just be careful mate. Have you managed to get lots of sponsorship & people with RL knowledge on board? As if not you shouldn't be looking to do all that just yet. You may want to wait a few years before starting a junior set-up.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Yeah we have a lot of help from the RFL locally, one of our founder members help set up nottingham outlaws. We do need more personell and are looking for sponsorship at the moment through our website

www.mancuniansrl.com

We hope to be a a lasting presence in Manchester. We enjoy new lads comming all the time and commenting how much they are enjoying it, it makes it all worth while

32 nearly 33.. union background but started league at university in birmingham..

played down at South London (second row/loose/centre) for a good few years from being beaten by a lot to winning the national premier.. played in the NL3 etc (scoring in the corner against bramley being a great memory!)

came home and played at Hillsborough for a year and a bit till a death in the family and an injury meant i had to have time out.. now set up Dronfield Drifters with a mate and had a great return season this yearreally enjoying it.. 2nd kid on the way in Jan so no idea if will get time to do anything next year.. we shall see.. but hopefully drifters will continue on as they whole idea is a bit of fun.

Edited by RP London

South South Yorkshire? Cool.

Just wondering; recently one of our Backs from Union said he'd play Second Row (he's only 12st), as he didn't think there was much difference between most RL positions. Would an Amateur team risk playing a smaller guy in the forwards? If not why not? Is it because they would have difficulty taking down big forwards running at them? Or they could get injured in that possition?

I was also wondering what's peoples opinions on Refs showing a little lenience on sloppy High Tackles in the Amateur game & giving a warning to players for poor technique & a penalty towards to the recipient's team rather than sending them to the sin bin when it's obvious that it was unintentional? As I'd say from what I've seen a lot of the time high tackles in the amateur game aren't malicious & are just poorly executed tackles.

Edited by HappyDave

12st 2nd rower? I guess it depends. my side have some massive forwards yet the hardest hitting lad is about 13st and hits like a train! its technique in teh tackle and with ball in hand, and if the 12st 2nd rower can hit a good line, hell go through anyway against amateur defences.

re high tackles, theres no excuse really, even with technique, if it catches someone it could do damage so it needs to be penalised. unfortunately some refs just let it go anyway!

Yeah, some good points but I'm glad to see that accidental high-tackles aren't an immediate sin-binning in the amateur game although it could be argued it should be at pro & semi-pro level. Obviously the ref should always issue a verbal warning & give a penalty for a high tackle. Whereas if it is intentional that's either a sin-binning of a sending off.

No, it's in Derbyshire

Just wondering; recently one of our Backs from Union said he'd play Second Row (he's only 12st), as he didn't think there was much difference between most RL positions. Would an Amateur team risk playing a smaller guy in the forwards? If not why not? Is it because they would have difficulty taking down big forwards running at them? Or they could get injured in that position?

If they can tackle it's not that important.

I was also wondering what's peoples opinions on Refs showing a little lenience on sloppy High Tackles in the Amateur game & giving a warning to players for poor technique & a penalty towards to the recipient's team rather than sending them to the sin bin when it's obvious that it was unintentional? As I'd say from what I've seen a lot of the time high tackles in the amateur game aren't malicious & are just poorly executed tackles.

They only go to the bin if it's repeated after a warning. Unless it's deliberate, then it's red.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just wondering; recently one of our Backs from Union said he'd play Second Row (he's only 12st), as he didn't think there was much difference between most RL positions. Would an Amateur team risk playing a smaller guy in the forwards? If not why not? Is it because they would have difficulty taking down big forwards running at them? Or they could get injured in that possition?

North Derbyshire.

Depends on his running style and "toughness".. its small for a second rower but if he punches above his weight he;ll be ok.. if he doesnt then he';ll get broken in half when he steps into a prop.. if he is a back who plays like a normal union back then he may want to start his time on the wing to learn the game.. he wont learn it when he cant remember it.

sadly on the high tackles they may be are poorly executred but they are still dangerous and could rile the other team up causing the game to escalate.. so its down to the quality of hte ref IMO on how well he believes he can control the game etc.

Derbyshire? That's not a County, that's a Postcode. :D

Yeah, some good points but in all fairness inexperienced players can make silly mistakes which they need to watch & correct. I also think Forwards need to have a bit of size but I guess Second Rows, Hookers & Loose Forwards don't need to be the size of Props.