Time for a third Welsh Team?

Also, does anyone think it would be better for the Scorpions, and Crusaders for that matter, to mention their locality in the club name - Wrexham Crusaders and Neath Scorpions - or does it not matter?

As for naming the professional clubs Wrexham Crusaders and Neath Scorpions , I know it would alienate the fans of South Wales not from the town thats part of the appeal, with Neath theres already NeathPT Steelers. Wrexham ? can't say for sure.

I've got mixed feelings about changing the name. I think you ask a valid question because a name can do much to create a sense of identity. Adding 'Wrexham' to the club's name would most definitely create a sense of loyalty to the club on a local level and, perhaps, may even help attract new fans. However, even if this were the right thing to do, I personally would not do it immediately. The Crusaders in SL, as I see it and I may be wrong, is a club that represents the whole of Wales in SL. I also think that cardifcrusaderrob makes an important point about alienating fans in the South - fans, like his good self, who have supported the club right from the very beginning in the South of Wales. Me and my mates are new to RL and this is our first season as fans of the Crusaders and we're acutely aware that fans in the club's original location rightly feel angry/upset with the club's relocation etc., so any further alienation would be disastrous.

A name is never just a name!

The RLCN is an odd competiton dominated by a Bramley team who I'm sure could easily manage in CC1. Hemel are the only non-northern team , so I imagine the financial aspect for them must be huge. The problem for them is finding a suitable level of competition but in the south.

Bramley can't get the ground for Championship 1, I'd hope that when they license (and hopefully expand) the Championship they'll relax Championship 1 standards, or ideally have a unified pyramid if the amateur game goes summer.

Hemel it's a tough one, once the NCL switches to summer I'd like to see them rejoin that as it would give them more games and they do meet the off field standards. Nottingham could go either way, north or south but I think north would be less travel. Since none of the southern sides have any intention of ever stepping up it would be better to build up a southern competition (include some or all of the midlands), whether this is something for next year or something to work towards I don't know, rather than having a RLC National with no side south of Coventry (we're about as far south as you can be and still manage it and even then only if the RFL still pay for all the travel costs). The NCL would be there for southern sides wanting to step up anyway, so no need for another northern based national competition.

Hemel don't actually pay for the bills as the RFL cover all travel costs for the RLC National, but can't see that continuing if they have another national summer comp with better on and off field standards and if Hemel (and perhaps Nottingham) joined better geographical spread

Edited by bowes

Bramley can't get the ground for Championship 1, I'd hope that when they license (and hopefully expand) the Championship they'll relax Championship 1 standards, or ideally have a unified pyramid if the amateur game goes summer.

Hemel it's a tough one, once the NCL switches to summer I'd like to see them rejoin that as it would give them more games and they do meet the off field standards. Nottingham could go either way, north or south but I think north would be less travel. Since none of the southern sides have any intention of ever stepping up it would be better to build up a southern competition (include some or all of the midlands), whether this is something for next year or something to work towards I don't know, rather than having a RLC National with no side south of Coventry (we're about as far south as you can be and still manage it and even then only if the RFL still pay for all the travel costs). The NCL would be there for southern sides wanting to step up anyway, so no need for another northern based national competition.

Hemel don't actually pay for the bills as the RFL cover all travel costs for the RLC National, but can't see that continuing if they have another national summer comp with better on and off field standards and if Hemel (and perhaps Nottingham) joined better geographical spread

Forgot about the ground situation with Bramley. Shame as they seem to dominate the RLCN.

Didn't know the RFL paid all travel costs for the RLCN. That must cost a fair bit, with doubtful reward (Hemel's inclusion excepted) in terms of expansion. Regional leagues are surely the way to go. Although as you mention, the whole thing could change if and when the NCL goes to a summer season. Personally, I don't think that's as cut and dried as the RFL would like to think.

Just back on the topic of Crusaders including Wrexham in the name. This move, along with no more matches in the South, would surely show the people of Wrexham that the club was serious about putting down roots in the community and building a long term future in the town. That's presuming that they are of course.

Forgot about the ground situation with Bramley. Shame as they seem to dominate the RLCN.

Didn't know the RFL paid all travel costs for the RLCN. That must cost a fair bit, with doubtful reward (Hemel's inclusion excepted) in terms of expansion. Regional leagues are surely the way to go. Although as you mention, the whole thing could change if and when the NCL goes to a summer season. Personally, I don't think that's as cut and dried as the RFL would like to think.

Yeah while I still think the NCL will probably switch at some point but only on its own terms not as part of a pyramid (unfortunately IMO) and juniors likely will, I can't see the BARLA leagues agreeing to it.

The RFL have a centralised coach company which pushes down the travel prices but it's still a huge cost I can't see them keeping it long term (perhaps better just to pay travel by and to Hemel in the NCL?). Last year there seemed to be efforts to drum up interest in going back towards the old format (play your region twice and the other region once) or something along those lines, maybe north and south with cross division fixtures, but the travelling was still too much for southern clubs so seems to be either a north/south split or not at all.

Just back on the topic of Crusaders including Wrexham in the name. This move, along with no more matches in the South, would surely show the people of Wrexham that the club was serious about putting down roots in the community and building a long term future in the town. That's presuming that they are of course.

Yeah either that or something like North Wales Crusaders depending on how wide you want to appeal

Are there plans to license CH1?

There are plans and it needs to happen but there's no definite form to it, it may merely end up promotion and relegation with minimum standards.

A lot depends on what happens with the amateur game switching from winter (if it happens), the RFL wanted something like:

Super League

Championship

National 1

National 2

West/East/South

etc.

But the NCL want to stay as they are (perhaps in summer) and the other leagues aren't keen to switch.

2-up-2-down is destroying clubs but a licensed Championship would need to be bigger and you need something better than the RLC to put excluded C1 clubs in (or else attract clubs to step up to C1 from the NCL plus Bramley with lower entry criteria)