Chris Nero

how old was leon pryce when he debuted? i think if your good enough your old enough im not saying this or next year but i think by the time a player gets to 18 should be on his way to being ready, correct me if im wrong but i think big sam was only 17 too

You are correct, most players debut as teenagers.

How old was Faz? 16?

how old was leon pryce when he debuted? i think if your good enough your old enough im not saying this or next year but i think by the time a player gets to 18 should be on his way to being ready, correct me if im wrong but i think big sam was only 17 too

Players develop at different rates. Look at Joel Tompkins, years older than his brother and 18 months ago looked destined for a life in the lower leagues. Inuries gave him his chance back at Wigan and he's developed massively since

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

That's correct he was 17, as was Leon. The important thing though is that you remember that because they were exceptions, and not the norm. Most would probably debut at at around 18 or 19, maybe even 20 and then be nursed to some extent over a period before becoming regulars in the first team.

It is important to treat players as the individuals they are, and not put expectations on them that they can't handle. Remember there are also late developers, Jamie Peacock being a prime example, he didn't, IIRC, come into the first team until he was pushing 21 and was 22 or so before he became a regular, so it's definitely not a one size fits all situation.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

That's correct he was 17, as was Leon. The important thing though is that you remember that because they were exceptions, and not the norm. Most would probably debut at at around 18 or 19, maybe even 20 and then be nursed to some extent over a period before becoming regulars in the first team.

It is important to treat players as the individuals they are, and not put expectations on them that they can't handle. Remember there are also late developers, Jamie Peacock being a prime example, he didn't, IIRC, come into the first team until he was pushing 21 and was 22 or so before he became a regular, so it's definitely not a one size fits all situation.

I think props need longer to "settle in" as it were, after all, they make most of the hard yards and maybe that few extra years learning in the reserves helps.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

The Bulls shouldn't have any problem recruiting someone to play as well as Nero has for us. In his first year he was awful and nicknamed Chris Zero by the fans. Last year he was better and this year he was indifferent.

I expect Wardle, Crookes, Platt, Sykes and Menzies to share centre duties with hopefully a new signing too. Menzies is still capable of playing centre and has been comfortably better than anyone else at the club in that position.

Apparently Potter ok'd a fair offer to Nero based on how much he rates him. Nero wanted more money than he's currently on, result is Potter doesn't think he's worth it.

The Bulls shouldn't have any problem recruiting someone to play as well as Nero has for us. In his first year he was awful and nicknamed Chris Zero by the fans. Last year he was better and this year he was indifferent.

I expect Wardle, Crookes, Platt, Sykes and Menzies to share centre duties with hopefully a new signing too. Menzies is still capable of playing centre and has been comfortably better than anyone else at the club in that position.

Apparently Potter ok'd a fair offer to Nero based on how much he rates him. Nero wanted more money than he's currently on, result is Potter doesn't think he's worth it.

Really, I thought it was because we couldnt even keep a zero like Nero, rats jumping ships etc etc etc etc etc.

leon debuted at 16 on the wing and was a special talent as was robbie paul. its a shame we showed the likes of bridge and atkins the door although with hape in there they werent getting a look in back then. theres just not that ,any decent centres knockin about these days.

leon debuted at 16 on the wing and was a special talent as was robbie paul. its a shame we showed the likes of bridge and atkins the door although with hape in there they werent getting a look in back then. theres just not that ,any decent centres knockin about these days.

Bridge was a half back then. I think the reasons for him leaving were more related to off-field activities and attitude. Sadly for us, the move seems to have done him good. Atkins...I despair of that move. Was a last throw under the Noble regime though, IIRC?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Bridge was a half back then. I think the reasons for him leaving were more related to off-field activities and attitude. Sadly for us, the move seems to have done him good. Atkins...I despair of that move. Was a last throw under the Noble regime though, IIRC?

Atkins went to Wakey on loan when Hape and Ben Harris were the Bulls' centres. He then got offered a permanent move and took it. Can't blame anybody really, just unfortunate timing from the Bulls' point of view.

Chris Bridge was a mess and was sacked after his umpteenth breach of discipline, which I believe involved simply failing to turn up for a match. Several years on and he seems to have finally grown up a bit.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Atkins went to Wakey on loan when Hape and Ben Harris were the Bulls' centres. He then got offered a permanent move and took it. Can't blame anybody really, just unfortunate timing from the Bulls' point of view.

Hape and Harris in the centres...hell those were the days! I think though that the issue was more that the Bulls were not perceived as in any way incentivising him to stay - indeed quite the opposite? That was my recollection anyway, although happy for anyone to improve on my fading recollection.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Hape and Harris in the centres...hell those were the days! I think though that the issue was more that the Bulls were not perceived as in any way incentivising him to stay - indeed quite the opposite? That was my recollection anyway, although happy for anyone to improve on my fading recollection.

Atkins was let go by Macnamara, shortly after taking over, he reckoned we had a number of young players coming through in the backs, and Atkins would get more opportunity with Wakefield to develop, he has haunted us ever since. I know another player was also let go at the same time cannot remember who it was.

Not to be hard on Mac, but it was the time when big debts had to be settled and Leeds were pushing us for compensation, I am sure in normal circumstances a prospect like Atkins wouldn't have been allowed to leave but Mac was under pressure to make savings and if we had adequate cover then players could be let go, and of course Atkins may not have developed.. Our downward path was just beginning.

Atkins was let go by Macnamara, shortly after taking over, he reckoned we had a number of young players coming through in the backs, and Atkins would get more opportunity with Wakefield to develop, he has haunted us ever since. I know another player was also let go at the same time cannot remember who it was.

Not to be hard on Mac, but it was the time when big debts had to be settled and Leeds were pushing us for compensation, I am sure in normal circumstances a prospect like Atkins wouldn't have been allowed to leave but Mac was under pressure to make savings and if we had adequate cover then players could be let go, and of course Atkins may not have developed.. Our downward path was just beginning.

Checking dates, and yes Macca was appointed in April and Atkins was released in May. So not quite the timeline I recollected. Interesting what you say about Macca being under pressure on costs right from start...that is the argument I proposed in support of Macca for several years. I was p

Was the other player the guy who went to to the Piedome, now playing in Oz? Flanaghan?

Also released by Macca, so thats another quality youngster released which kind of disputes the widely held view of Bulls having a poor academy and no decent players left by Nobby.

Who were Burgess, Atkins, Flannagan, Ferres, Cook, Halley, Kop, James signed and developing under, because it certainley wasnt Steve McNamara.

Also released by Macca, so thats another quality youngster released which kind of disputes the widely held view of Bulls having a poor academy and no decent players left by Nobby.

Who were Burgess, Atkins, Flannagan, Ferres, Cook, Halley, Kop, James signed and developing under, because it certainley wasnt Steve McNamara.

There werewo Flanagans at that time, and the one who went to Wigan and is now in Australia, followed Nobby to Wigan. His father had played internationally with Noble , why he came to Bulls in first place, everybody would like to have kept him , but no use having a disgruntled player. I believe Wigan may have paid a small fee for him.. The other Flanagan didn't make the grade. I know we can blame Mac for a lot, but certainly a youngster we couldn't keep.

There werewo Flanagans at that time, and the one who went to Wigan and is now in Australia, followed Nobby to Wigan. His father had played internationally with Noble , why he came to Bulls in first place, everybody would like to have kept him , but no use having a disgruntled player. I believe Wigan may have paid a small fee for him.. The other Flanagan didn't make the grade. I know we can blame Mac for a lot, but certainly a youngster we couldn't keep.

Checking dates, and yes Macca was appointed in April and Atkins was released in May. So not quite the timeline I recollected. Interesting what you say about Macca being under pressure on costs right from start...that is the argument I proposed in support of Macca for several years. I was p

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/