Carl Ablett.

:rolleyes:

I was only having this argument on the 72 coming back from Leeds just thirty minutes ago.

Ablett is no clean Angel my friend and should have the book thrown at him.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tomkins can't take the heat, perhaps he needs to stop being such a niggle cheat himself. Tomkins went down like a sack of shot and milked it for all it was worth.

Clearly you haven't watched the incident again since the game. I've got the Sky+ in front of me as I write and Sam was on his feet within 2 seconds of the hit. How in the world can you call that "milking it"? In fact him getting up so quickly could have been an excuse for why Ganson kept him on the field.

I don't actually have a problem with a 3 man ban. I just think it was unjust that he wasn't sent off at the time when Andy Coley went off for less in our game at Catalans earlier in the month on the advice of the same Video Referee Phil Bentham.

I suppose we'll have to hope Ablett or whoever does it a bit harder next time.

If Tomkins can't take the heat, perhaps he needs to stop being such a niggle cheat himself. Tomkins went down like a sack of shot and milked it for all it was worth.

Cos you can bet your bottom dollar that Ablett won't be the last person to take offence at Tomkins over-inflated ego & delusions of grandeur.

Poor Wigan, getting the excuses in early. Boo hoo.

you are a ######.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Cos you can bet your bottom dollar that Ablett won't be the last person to take offence at Tomkins over-inflated ego & delusions of grandeur.

I was in the gym saturday mornin when all the wigan squad go in, and tomkins and o'loughlin were on the bikes when the tackle came on sky sports news. They both watched it looked at each other and just laughed as if to say what the **** can we do. Even when you 'Thugs' go out to give cheap shots, you cant even do that right

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

I was in the gym saturday mornin when all the wigan squad go in, and tomkins and o'loughlin were on the bikes when the tackle came on sky sports news.

Was he taking notes for when he next takes the field to brush up on his own "techniques" ?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Was he taking notes for when he next takes the field to brush up on his own "techniques" ?

No, he already knows how give people a cheap shot m8. No point takin notes of how to get away with it tho coz he isnt a leeds player so he wouldnt

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

No, he already knows how give people a cheap shot m8. No point takin notes of how to get away with it tho coz he isnt a leeds player so he wouldnt

I'll mention that to Luke next time i see him

Oh wait a minute, he did get away with that one and the other 8+ in the last couple of years at the RFL

How many previous do you need to cop a ban these days ;)

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

I just think it was unjust that he wasn't sent off at the time when Andy Coley went off for less in our game at Catalans earlier in the month on the advice of the same Video Referee Phil Bentham.

Because Bentham is Hetherington's bit*h, he will never give a decision against Leeds whoever they're playing !

I was surprised Ganson never sent him off. The guy does make mistakes but he's one of the few Ref's who has the balls to brandish a red card. I can only guess that he didn't get a clear view of the incident (couldn't see the point of contact), sought the advice of Bentham and wasn't given any, hence had no choice but to only place it on report.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Remember, these are rugby players we are talking about...expecting some of them to think of the consequences of their actions in the heat of an intense game, is probably expecting too much.

Similarly, expecting guilty players to change their behaviour by banning them for longer periods is, in my opinion,unlikely to be successful. Its a bit like banning NE in the hope that one day, just one day, he might make an intelligent contribution to the debate.

The Disciplinary committee will, I think, have heard and seen more evidence that we did and may well have spent more time than we have in discussing it. In my view, there is no conspiracy against Wigan and no bias towards Leeds in this respect. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by JohnM

I was only having this argument on the 72 coming back from Leeds just thirty minutes ago.

Ablett is no clean Angel my friend and should have the book thrown at him.

As I have previously posted, whenever a Leeds player is involved he becomes some axe wielding psycho, would you be asking for the same punishment for your precious bulls, I think not.You'd be bleating about how the ref gave a penalty against them and moaning your club had been stiffed again.He has been given the maximum punishment that is laid down by the disciplinary board, end of.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Remember, these are rugby players we are talking about...expecting some of them to think of the consequences of their actions in the heat of an intense game, is probably expecting too much.

Similarly, expecting guilty players to change their behaviour by banning them for longer periods is, in my opinion,unlikely to be successful. Its a bit like banning NE in the hope that one day, just one day, he might make an intelligent contribution to the debate.

The Disciplinary committee will, I think, have heard and seen more evidence that we did and may well have spent more time than we have in discussing it. In my view, there is no conspiracy against Wigan and no bias towards Leeds in this respect. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

If you keep banning players then it does three things:

1. protects the rest of the playing community for a few games

2. hopefully makes the player think a bit (unlikely)

3. hopefully makes the coach think hard about how much of the salary cap their banned player is taking up.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The trouble with very long suspensions is that the RFL could run up against restraint of trade laws.

I believe that has been tried before and the courts have said that as long as the disciplinary panels follow a consistent process and the punishment is not blatantly disproportionate then what they give out will be ruled legal.

The RFL do set themselves a challenge with this though. In union, the IRB publish a "tariff" of sentences that disciplinary bodies must follow or have a damn good reason why they aren't, this protects the panel from appeals and also keeps punishments vaguely consistent. The RFL could do with producing their own public tariff of sentences.

Then there's the discrepancy between the amateur and pro game. If you look at the punishments handed out at NCL or RLC levels and compare that to similar offences in SL or the Championship you'll see a huge difference with those in the pro game getting significantly lighter sentences. I suppose that comes down to the amateur players not being able to afford lawyers to go with them to the disciplinary panels for relatively minor offences.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Can't throw your toys much further than that!

I'll mention that to Luke next time i see him

Oh wait a minute, he did get away with that one and the other 8+ in the last couple of years at the RFL

How many previous do you need to cop a ban these days ;)

Its not like there hasn't been in excess of 10 similar incidents in SL since the O'Loughlin / Robinson late hit that have gone unpunished and not even been cited though. :rolleyes:

The RFL have set a precedent that they will accept late hits on non-kickers which are not high as punishable by only a penalty. Whilst I may personally disagree with this leniency at least it isn't inconsistent, with O'Loughlin's challenge and resultant punishment not unique in any way.

Edited by giwildgo

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

I wonder how the ref actually saw it?

Looked like a bad tackle then 2 players ran in on 1 to violently retaliate.

His options probably were:-

1 Bin Ablett for the tackle - cant really do that under the rules

2 Dismiss Ablett then what to do about the retaliators ? yellow card them, which would leave Wigan down to 11

3 Put it all on report, enough doubt and confusion (did the Wigan player slip into it a bit?) to defer the decision to the judiciary

So thats what he did.

The actions of the retaliators muddied Gansons decision. If they had kept their heads Ablett would probably have been straight red carded and Wigan would have had a man advantage for an hour

Serious foul play by an average player dealt with appropriately - no serious injuries. Didn't prevent the other team winning and actually removed a potential excuse for another home defeat (which most Leeds fans absolutely love to use).

Time for everyone to move on now.

Edited by giwildgo

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

Should add at last one game on for the audacity off appealing. It was probably the most definite Red Card this SL season, but Ganson bottled it.

HW

Agree it was a bad one. If sime no mark like Ablett had ruled a star like Tomkins for the season (and 4 nations) I would have been fuming.