Matt King - Wire aiming to be one of sport

Love the quote in the article about Matt King 'fast becoming used to playing in the big games.' Yeah, because before he joined Warrington he never played in any big games did he? Those NRL Grand Finals, State of Origins and Test matches pale into insignificance when compared with a semi-final at Widnes. :D

I am so confused by so many things here...

1 - why is this a fair thread but a subsequent questioning whether they are a great team when they clearly aren't will be locked instantly (while a let's buy a head hunter a pint one goes on and on...)?

2 - he has already played in so many bigger games

3 - Wigan stood astride the game like a colossus for a brief period in the early 90s essentially through being the best run club in the history of the game. Their success was fuelled by 1 thing - the Wigan public's enthusiasm. In the pre cap era having the best crowds allowed you to spend more and sign better players and win things. There was nothing stopping any other club doing the same. Indeed, you could argue that success in an era where the top clubs are all capped is more down to financial juggling than being a fantastically well run and supported club. As long as you can reach the cap you don't need to see any 20k crowds. If, like some clubs but not Wire, for a period you can run rings around HMRC then you can have a full team of internationals while everyone else makes do. Success in the old world was purely and simply a function of a fantastically well run and supported club, with a team of greats

4 - this is another example of Wire talking about doing things before they have done them. It is an interesting approach, and one that could lead to further locked threads in due course, should the next peak actually be lower than the last one

5 - you can't knock the Treble (does the Cup count double?) Winners for self confidence and they do provide more entertainment than most clubs

1 - why is this a fair thread but a subsequent questioning whether they are a great team when they clearly aren't will be locked instantly (while a let's buy a head hunter a pint one goes on and on...)?

3 - Wigan stood astride the game like a colossus for a brief period in the early 90s essentially through being the best run club in the history of the game. Their success was fuelled by 1 thing - the Wigan public's enthusiasm. In the pre cap era having the best crowds allowed you to spend more and sign better players and win things. There was nothing stopping any other club doing the same. Indeed, you could argue that success in an era where the top clubs are all capped is more down to financial juggling than being a fantastically well run and supported club. As long as you can reach the cap you don't need to see any 20k crowds. If, like some clubs but not Wire, for a period you can run rings around HMRC then you can have a full team of internationals while everyone else makes do. Success in the old world was purely and simply a function of a fantastically well run and supported club, with a team of greats

4 - this is another example of Wire talking about doing things before they have done them. It is an interesting approach, and one that could lead to further locked threads in due course, should the next peak actually be lower than the last one

5 - you can't knock the Treble (does the Cup count double?) Winners for self confidence and they do provide more entertainment than most clubs

On 1. we will lock threads that are deliberate trolling efforts. To see the threads we've locked, scroll to the bottom of this sub-forum index page and change the filter from "Topics: All" to "Topics: Locked", how many of those threads really didn't deserve to be locked?

Some might say that Wendall's posts and threads can be considered positive trolling or spamming but to date no-one has hit the "report" button for one, yes I've had PMs from people asking me to tell him to tone it down. I find it difficult to lock Wendall's threads based on that as I sense no maliciousness in his posts. Yes, there are maybe a few too many misplaced optimism threads but surely that's better than the doom and gloom that many people seem to love wallowing in.

Wendall opens himself up to a lot of flak and he invariably gets it on threads like this so I really don't see the point in 1. above. If we were to keep it as a love-in and delete all the critical posts (see above for examples) then you might have a point.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Without being tedious I did have a quick look at locked threads and remain puzzled - the Wigan bottlers thread went for 5 pages longer than the Wire equivalent, Mick's thread about the gap between threads like this and the reality got 1 post, and (I may have imagined this) but I was sure I saw a thread about buying Ablett a drink lasting a day. If you re-read Mick if it is trolling it is of the gentlest kind.

If we are to be bombarded with Wire predictions of greatness then is it not simply the flip side to point out that they may not have matched words and deeds?

Without being tedious I did have a quick look at locked threads and remain puzzled - the Wigan bottlers thread went for 5 pages longer than the Wire equivalent, Mick's thread about the gap between threads like this and the reality got 1 post, and (I may have imagined this) but I was sure I saw a thread about buying Ablett a drink lasting a day. If you re-read Mick if it is trolling it is of the gentlest kind.

If we are to be bombarded with Wire predictions of greatness then is it not simply the flip side to point out that they may not have matched words and deeds?

One was reported (by a Wigan supporter) the other wasn't. We try to allow the forum to self-moderate but will always look at reported threads. If it breaches the General Board Rules then we will deal with it if it gets reported.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Are you serious?

So well run they had to sell the ground to survive