At least one Super League club to lose licence in 2011

We work with Buckingham's quite a bit and I've heard people at work mentioning the Salford stadium a few times, if anything more substantial comes to light I will inform.

People often get criticised for suggesting that Salford's stadium might not happen.

The fact is that the vast majority, myself included, have no idea how the process works. What we have seen and heard though are countless releases about the stadiums and numerous reassurances from fans about how certain their stadiums are to be built. However 10 years on in some instances the stadiums have still not started.

Salford's stadium could be 100% nailed on certain to be built by 2012, I honestly don't know. When I've read the recent statements it seems that they are. However I've thought this before, at the last round of licensing for instance. All the arguments we're hearing now we heard in 2008 and the reality is they won't have delivered on those promises.

Therefore if there are any delays meaning that the stadium will not be ready for the start of the 2012 stadium then they should definitely be dropped. Without it they are by far the weakest of the 3 main contenders to go down.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this is irrelevant to Toulouse, whose license candidacy will be based on the "invitation to a foreign club" category.

What ever happend to the no competing SL club to be within a 20 radious ????

Will this "invitation to a foreign club" help Barrow get invited then as Red Hall seem to view Cumbria as foreign :O

yes they will, you watch

they are at 11,000 now so its not a big increase at all.

So Saints will get a 37% increase in one step.

Saints core support is about 9,000, their new stadium will have a capacity that is only about 500 higher than their current dump. So the only two games they sell-out Wigan and Warrington can only go up by 500.

Without those two games the Saints average drops to about 9,700 and that is the figure that they will need to increase to get to 15,000, take out the fact that two games can't increase (not by much anyway) and that percentage increase needed get bigger.

The only thing Saints have going for them is that Widnes may replace Wakefield which will give them one game which will see a big increase.

The core Saints support will have to increase considerably to get anywhere near a 15k figure.

You're talking out of your ozzie @rze

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

So Saints will get a 37% increase in one step.

Saints core support is about 9,000, their new stadium will have a capacity that is only about 500 higher than their current dump. So the only two games they sell-out Wigan and Warrington can only go up by 500.

Without those two games the Saints average drops to about 9,700 and that is the figure that they will need to increase to get to 15,000, take out the fact that two games can't increase (not by much anyway) and that percentage increase needed get bigger.

The only thing Saints have going for them is that Widnes may replace Wakefield which will give them one game which will see a big increase.

The core Saints support will have to increase considerably to get anywhere near a 15k figure.

You're talking out of your ozzie @rze

I think the novelty factor will give it an immediate boost, plus I think more away fans will make the trip. I know I'd be more likely to go to the shiny box than Knowsley Road.

I think the novelty factor will give it an immediate boost, plus I think more away fans will make the trip. I know I'd be more likely to go to the shiny box than Knowsley Road.

The problem is, to get to 15k average you will likely need a hell of a lot of additional away support. I think the new ground will certainly boost the average, as locals take more of an interest, but expecting an extra 1k or something on the away support is a real stretch, even with the curiosity factor.

I can see a solid 2k - 3k increase, but getting to 15k seems very ambitious.

But that's slightly beside the point; I think with the additional finances St. Helens will likely have due to increased support (including corporate?) and not throwing money into keeping Knowsley Road open, they could really go to town with the future marketing and produce a steady increase in crowds over time.

adchristknows7rv.png

It will go up no doubt, but it isn't going to go up to a 15k avarage. They only have 11 games in reality to bring about a massive increase and away support is not going to bring that easily close.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

John Ledger from the rfl has just said IF all the 14 super league clubs meet the criteria needed the weakest club will be relegated from super league, how do you define weakest when all the criteria is met?

The one who gives the smallest basket of muffins.

Encouraging the appreciation of good play from the opposition and applauding their poit scoring feats may foster a better overall experience for supporters.

I was taught to appreciate the opposition, my friends and myself still aplaud opposition play. This causes dismay at times and that p!$$e$ me off no end.

Totally agree Padge. I have always clapped anything worth applauding no matter the team. We are RL Suppoters :lol: in the end arent we? Different class to the round ball oiks.

Edited by Segovia Carpet

It will go up no doubt, but it isn't going to go up to a 15k avarage. They only have 11 games in reality to bring about a massive increase and away support is not going to bring that easily close.

The club that pathetically refuse to share a stadium at Xscape where all the bars, restaurants, retail (commercial opps).

How is it common sense? What proof is there that good numbers will turn up just because it's in Barton?

Wellsy - When did you last come to The Willows under your own steam?

Did you find the ground easily?

I will confirm that you will certainly find and appreciate the new ground.

Millions will see the ground every week from the M60 Barton Bridge.

If the game is ever to develop then it HAS to win in Manchester.

The club that pathetically refuse to share a stadium at Xscape where all the bars, restaurants, retail (commercial opps).

What stadium at Xscape?

There isn't one at present, what Wakefield refused to do was compromise their chance of their own stadium becoming a reality in favour of CASTLEFORDS proposed stadium.

Given the positive position that the Newmarket development will be in once OPP is granted it would have been ridiculous of those concerned to abandon it.

Much is being made of Cas's OPP but in a matter of weeks Wakefield will also have that. What Wakefield also have is THE MONEY required to get on and build.

It's not just the ground that is keeping them away.

Well to be fair the standard of RL we have had to put up with has been pretty poor.

Its encouraging to see the Board have played the right hand of Poker this time by delaying their beanfeast until next season when such as Patten, Nero, Anderson, Leo Latu will be on board.

Give them something to watch and they will come is the doctrine to follow.

People often get criticised for suggesting that Salford's stadium might not happen.

The fact is that the vast majority, myself included, have no idea how the process works. What we have seen and heard though are countless releases about the stadiums and numerous reassurances from fans about how certain their stadiums are to be built. However 10 years on in some instances the stadiums have still not started.

Salford's stadium could be 100% nailed on certain to be built by 2012, I honestly don't know. When I've read the recent statements it seems that they are. However I've thought this before, at the last round of licensing for instance. All the arguments we're hearing now we heard in 2008 and the reality is they won't have delivered on those promises.

Therefore if there are any delays meaning that the stadium will not be ready for the start of the 2012 stadium then they should definitely be dropped. Without it they are by far the weakest of the 3 main contenders to go down.

Well you keep bashing and bashing don't you? Do you have share is Castleford or something? Very simply ...........as it stands.........the Stadium will be finished by the 2012 season. If Peel are taken over then I obviously cannot confirm whether the new Owners will complete on time! All being well we will be snugly sat down to watch our opening game in front of 12,000 fans in 2012.

One final question - Do you honetly believe that Castleford have MORE POTENTIAL than Salford to sell the game to NEW fans from their respective new homes? An honest answer please MD.

OK then lets make it a third - OK with that?

1. a third is closer to your compromise.

2. Unfortunately for mick, there is always the chance that Salford start throwing around free tickets like there is no tomorrow just to keep people from thinking they should drop.

3. He has highlighted a bet elsewhere you appear to have not paid. I wouldn't make a bet with you it would be foolish.

Well you keep bashing and bashing don't you? Do you have share is Castleford or something? Very simply ...........as it stands.........the Stadium will be finished by the 2012 season. If Peel are taken over then I obviously cannot confirm whether the new Owners will complete on time! All being well we will be snugly sat down to watch our opening game in front of 12,000 fans in 2012.

One final question - Do you honetly believe that Castleford have MORE POTENTIAL than Salford to sell the game to NEW fans from their respective new homes? An honest answer please MD.

They have a more realistic chance of presenting a successful SL club in my opinion.

Salford have more potential but by that token Harlequins have the largest potential in the league.

I've said previously, if Salford have the stadium then they should be given a license. My opinion is that if they don't have the stadium then they are the weakest.

He has highlighted a bet elsewhere you appear to have not paid. I wouldn't make a bet with you it would be foolish.

Completely out of order. If you can find The Captains acceptance of the Wager I will settle tomorrow. To my knowledge he failed to do so. Incidentally as I mentioned to MD please give Viking Warrior a nudge.

They have a more realistic chance of presenting a successful SL club in my opinion.

Salford have more potential but by that token Harlequins have the largest potential in the league.

I've said previously, if Salford have the stadium then they should be given a license. My opinion is that if they don't have the stadium then they are the weakest.

I asked a simple question and you have - like a poilitician given an irrelevant reply. Kindly answer the question.