Some Good News Bradford Fans

That'll bring the disaffected thousands flooding back.

Sadly I couldn't go tonight. Was much else said or was it just another load of excuses and promises of better things tomorrow?

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Just waiting for the Bulls in the Interchange Stan but it wasn't like the last one I attended when Hood and Duffy were dodging the questions like they were auditioning for a new Matrix release.

Surprised to see so many if I'm honest although I didn't ask any questions so sorry to Errol Stock, good stuff I thought, Langley for three more years won most around, Sykes contract which I've been asking about on the other forum was Potters seal of approval and not McNamara's. Potter will also have any money we have available to spend as he sees fit re: squad improvements.

There also be a concentrated effort with marketing with regards to making the season pass next season too attractive to turn down and we didn't expect any major signings so no disclosure on who'll be joining on us next year.

Make or break next year because the season pass sales are going to be down, so we are going to be very much dependent on walk up sales of the floaters going through the gates.

Putting the emphasis on the feel good factor of the early season form.

If ever I wanted a easy start to the season it is next year, keep us away from Wigan, St Helens and Leeds earlier on and allow us to find our feet.

Look what happend this season at the first home game of the season, when the feel good factor was there with Orford and Kearney joining us in the off season which resulted in a 10,000+ gate with over 9,000 Bradford supporters there.

St Helens won 38-6 in what was very close to the worst I've ever seen us play and in just 80:00 minutes we had lost 2,000 supporters for the season.

We can't allow the same to happen next year.

Although when Hood and Ducket were talking about the season pass for next year it'll be interesting to see just how attractive it really is and if it's too good to turn down.

We can't survive on 6,000 gates, that's 100% nailed on.

Thanks for the update Mick, I could not make it tonight because of family commitments.

Good news about Langley resigning. Lets hope that some of the younger players like Finigan, Addy and Wardle agree new deals soon.

As for the "concentrated effort with marketing" it's well overdue but I have serious doubts as to the ability of the staff currently in place at the club.

Were any question put forward about our future at Odsal?

and

Anything about the clubs financial state following our alarming drop in corporate sponsorship and the fact that our attendances are now significantly below previously stated break even figures?

If ever I wanted a easy start to the season it is next year, keep us away from Wigan, St Helens and Leeds earlier on and allow us to find our feet.

We could always come and play you at Odsal if you want. Oh! Hang on a minute. I see what you mean now. ;):P

Only winding you up. :D :D :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

As it happens:

1. There were several hundreds there. Biggest turnout for a FF I've seen. Brilliant to see, especially since nearly all were clearly concerned fans more than willing to give the club a fair hearing. Only a couple of fekkwits who came across quite badly by contrast. They had to open up the rest of the floor, and we had the interesting and indeed quite enlightening sight of the chairman and other directors setting up the additional areas at short order and carrying chairs around.

2. They answered loads of questions (including a number of mine again) - far more than I've seen before. Including quite a few I was pleasantly surprised to see them face up to. And face up to them, in the main, they did. I was especially pleased that they addressed a number of points that I have hitherto been trying to explain to people on forums, usually having to be a bit circumspect. A load of people on this forum who scoffed at or challenged some of the points I made on here, generally of a financial nature, would maybe have a slightly different take on them this morning - and I'd be excused a wry smile.

3. The panel was actually very good, fronted by Hood, Duckett and Duffy but with valuable contributions too from the excellent Medders (including another St Crispin's Day speech) Andrew Bennett & Roland Agar. I've previously been concerned that Peter Hood comes across as a bit cold an distant to the fans; I thought he played a blinder last night and he proved me wrong - and I am delighted he did. Great to see Ryan looking increasing confident and positive in his upgraded role. St Hillaire was not there because he'd been given leave for a very belated honeymoon break at short order.

4. A lot of discussion took place around financial matters - and in particular, whilst not downplaying the issues the club faces lacking a rich owner, they also took care to give a balanced presentation which gives the lie to all the financial crisis waknerage that you see from the ill-informed on here and elsewhere. I had that wry grin on my face again...

5. A lot of discussion too about marketing, promotion, events etc - an area where many have criticised the club of late. I'd suggest they handled the points well, and it will surely be clear that they are listening and that some pretty positive steps are imminent. The new marketing director told me there is all sorts coming up that should go down well with the fans. It may also have helped that he told the forum something that three of us already knew from a meeting we had with him and Ryan on Sunday, which is that he (a successful businessman who sold his business a year or so ago, who is a big fan and wanted to help) is working full time (and some) for the club, unpaid, and that Ok its early days yet but there is a lot being worked on.

6. Quite lot of football-related questions asked and answered as far as possible, although - and understandably - they would not answer specifics about individuals. Some VERY interesting insights, especially from Medders about the youth development and the function and role of the academy and players playing when they had no right to but no choice because of thin squad and lengthy injury list. He managed to very effectively (IMO) counter all charges against the academy (why are they not top of everything) and against players "not trying" - so refreshing to hear some hard facts to sent against the fekkwit waknerage you read too often on internet forums by people who often have no idea what any academy players even look like.

7. On signings, they pointed out that due to the anti-tampering rules the club could not be allowed to talk to anyone before 1 September, so therefore they could not possibly have anything to impart on that front just now, could they? They did suggest that could suddenly change quite dramatically on around 2 September...

8. A pretty comprehensive update on the Orford situation was given - entirely consistent with what the three of us had been told on Sunday.

9. Conformation that Mick Potter has been involved in ALL the recruitment/retention etc decisions and a load of other decisions too - with the full agreement of the Saints Club, with whom Bulls get on well and because all parties know Mick is a total professional who will let nothing get in the way with him getting the most success he possibly can for Saints over the remainder of his tenure. (And I hope he does - I'm a Saint for the rest of the season when not a Bull because of Potter).

I took 35 pages of notes. If I had nothing better to do, I'd write them all up. But I have, so I won't. And I'm sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for all the detail on the points asked, raised and discussed. I might chip in if I see some garbage being spouted (its usually the reason I do anyway) and if anyone has a specific question and if i get the chance I'll maybe be able to answer it.

As positive a forum as you could expect in the circumstances, and I think the club was both surprised and a bit humbled by the massive turnout - of concerned fans ready and willing to listen. They heard the talk...now of course they need to see the walk. I came away very much feeling we'll see the club starting to walk the walk a lot more and a lot sooner than many people expect.

Where were you sat then Mick? Who did you see and talk to there? I know a few were looking out for you.

Edited by Adeybull

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

<Snip>

Brilliant stuff Adey - as someone who would have gone if I was still living in Bradford I really appreciate all this stuff on here (and on RAB as well).

Quite a few positive nuggets there - as there always seems to be from these. You really have to praise the club for doing this as they could easily just not. That's why it really gets on my nerves when some people just go all guns blazing "the board are idiots" etc (a couple of whom were in attendance last night I gather) - when it could be further from the truth. Sure they might not get every call right, but I really believe they have the club and it's best interests at heart.

EDIT: Sorry - while I remember. I remember reading in the matchday programme a few months ago that Bradford were the only SL (at the time) to be taking part in the RFL's dry run this summer for Super League licencing next year. Was there any mention that this had happened and what kind of feedback they had had yet? Meant to send it in, but slipped my mind.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

EDIT: Sorry - while I remember. I remember reading in the matchday programme a few months ago that Bradford were the only SL (at the time) to be taking part in the RFL's dry run this summer for Super League licencing next year. Was there any mention that this had happened and what kind of feedback they had had yet? Meant to send it in, but slipped my mind.

Yes it was mentioned, and confirmed. Not yet done, I got the impression, but the club said it shows they are taking the process very seriously.

In answer to one of my questions, the club say they are taking nothing for granted re the 2012-14 Licences, but they were not aware of any present reason why the club should not be able to retain their licence. But they emphasised they intend to go through the process totally professionally, and that the dry run was proving invaluable anyway for wider stragetic planning. They added that we will never get better than a B licence with the present stadium.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Good post Adey. I'll admit, i have been a critic of the Board, more for the handling of the coaching situation than anything else but i'm happy to say i left the forum yesterday evening suitably impressed with the way the panel handled the whole night. I expected them to adopt a siege mentality and brush issues under the carpet or perhaps not even answer them at all but they were very upfront, forthright and indeed bullish (pardon the pun) about the future and certainly allayed a number of my fears.

Credit to the club and the Board where it's due!

Oh and no word on what's happening with Steve Menzies which indicates to me that he won't around much longer.

I think they actually said that, like the other signings, both re-signs and incoming, it is down to Potter. Must say I would have hoped it would have been settled by now though, with him staying.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Good post Adey. I'll admit, i have been a critic of the Board, more for the handling of the coaching situation than anything else but i'm happy to say i left the forum yesterday evening suitably impressed with the way the panel handled the whole night. I expected them to adopt a siege mentality and brush issues under the carpet or perhaps not even answer them at all but they were very upfront, forthright and indeed bullish (pardon the pun) about the future and certainly allayed a number of my fears.

Credit to the club and the Board where it's due!

Indeed. I had feared a bit of a siege mentality approach, and maybe it could have turned that way had the audience been hostile rather than just desperate for some hope? But I had a pretty good idea they would try and be as open and proactive as possible from recent discussions with them. And my biggest concern, which was how well Peter Hood would engage with a load of concerned and maybe angry fans, proved completely groundless - he had a very good forum, I thought?

I think we got as near as we are likely to to hearing them acknowledge that, with hindsight, they got it wrong on the coaching front and they have learned the hard way - although in fairness they did make the point that at the time Macca was appointed there was a lot going on at once (including Hull being in for him, as they said, and all the financial and board crises, which they did not). But they pretty well held their hands up and said Macca had been given too long a contract, did they not?

I think they actually said that, like the other signings, both re-signs and incoming, it is down to Potter. Must say I would have hoped it would have been settled by now though, with him staying.

I suspect/fear it might have been. Which is why nothing is being said?

(Just about recovered from last night's embarrassment...new glasses desperately needed! :blush: )

Edited by Adeybull

Where were you sat then Mick? Who did you see and talk to there? I know a few were looking out for you.

I was expecting similar to your point by point post from Mick, as he always has time to give a blow by blow account on his mobile from games. Maybe his phone was on the blink and he had no paper and pen,or they were going so fast and he hasn't passed his journalistic shorthand yet - or something else???????

I can't believe you're questioning his attendance - surely you believe he was there

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I was expecting similar to your point by point post from Mick, as he always has time to give a blow by blow account on his mobile from games. Maybe his phone was on the blink and he had no paper and pen,or they were going so fast and he hasn't passed his journalistic shorthand yet - or something else???????

I can't believe you're questioning his attendance - surely you believe he was there

There were a lot of things covered to be fair to Mick, and they went through at a fair old rate at times. I've got today's T&A and notice that even Connor Murphy hasn't got his thoughts in order on the meeting as, apart from reporting Jamie Langley's re-signing and a column on Bullbuilder (both of which he would have known about beforehand) he doesn't actually mention the meeting.

There were a lot of things covered to be fair to Mick, and they went through at a fair old rate at times. I've got today's T&A and notice that even Connor Murphy hasn't got his thoughts in order on the meeting as, apart from reporting Jamie Langley's re-signing and a column on Bullbuilder (both of which he would have known about beforehand) he doesn't actually mention the meeting.

Presumably because the deadline for the majority of the T&A today will be well before the meeting ended. It's not really an evening paper any more in that sense. The Bullbuilder thing was on the T&A website as early as yesterday afternoon I think.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I suspect/fear it might have been. Which is why nothing is being said?

(Just about recovered from last night's embarrassment...new glasses desperately needed! :blush: )

The same thought has gone through my head too, Adey. Mind, as I've often said, you have to look at the overall ins and outs and how that leaves the balance of the squad, before deciding whether something is right or wrong for the team as a whole. So, I guess we'll wait and see!

Btw, I think it's probably my glasses that are the problem, not yours. You know, the ones I usually wear at matches, (but not forums), along with the black beanie hat with Bulls emblazoned across the front, (not sure about forums? should that be fora? I'm clueless about these latin plurals :lol: )

Thanks for the comprehensive report Adeybull - much appreciated.

Can you tell us if the issue of Odsal and the future home of the Bulls was discussed?

Thanks

On Sunday, we urged the club to try and get a much more comprehensive summary of the questions and answers at the forum out into the public domain. Previously there has been a short bit, light on detail in the T&A and maybe on the site but little else. This means that unless you went to the forum (and I'm glad more did this time) you won't have realised just how forthcoming the club has been.

And loads of the non-attendees then continue to lambast the club for failure to communicate and engage...

They took this on board. I believe a summary of Q&A is to go up on the Bulls site - when they get the chance to do it - and I feel sure Connor will put up a much more comprehensive summary. if he doesn't, then thats a bit below his normal excellent standards but he's also missing an opportunity for loads of copy for just the price of the time to dictate or type it up.

Don't underestimate the time it might take though - my own notes would take hours to type up, done it once before and I'm sorry but I've more pressing calls on my time!

Thanks for the comprehensive report Adeybull - much appreciated.

Can you tell us if the issue of Odsal and the future home of the Bulls was discussed?

Thanks

Yes, but without the benefit of my notes which are at home so this from memory, and have to be brief.

In brief, the OSV has been slowed down because of the change of control on the council and the need for the portfolios to be filled with pinkos rather than blueys, so the first working group (it has a title, but I don't have my notes to hand) is I think they said later this month.

They said they have always been and continue to be realistic. They DID point out that apparently one of the senior council guys had said the council was having to look at cutting maybe

Indeed. I had feared a bit of a siege mentality approach, and maybe it could have turned that way had the audience been hostile rather than just desperate for some hope? But I had a pretty good idea they would try and be as open and proactive as possible from recent discussions with them. And my biggest concern, which was how well Peter Hood would engage with a load of concerned and maybe angry fans, proved completely groundless - he had a very good forum, I thought?

I think we got as near as we are likely to to hearing them acknowledge that, with hindsight, they got it wrong on the coaching front and they have learned the hard way - although in fairness they did make the point that at the time Macca was appointed there was a lot going on at once (including Hull being in for him, as they said, and all the financial and board crises, which they did not). But they pretty well held their hands up and said Macca had been given too long a contract, did they not?

They were very much upfront re: the coaching & contract for McNamara and i did send in a question about that very thing i.e. had they given Macca too long; had they tried to find a replacement but been unable to hence his length of stay; were they worried about the long term damage of having potentially lost fans at least for the foreseeable future due to their seeming lack of decisive action on MacNamara?

Although the question wasn't covered directly, in a roundabout way they answered it anyway via the news about the season ticket deal, marketing, length of process to appoint Potter. It is clear they know that McNamara's stay (or should i say extended stay even though it was clear he wasn't up to it) has damaged their relationship with some fans and i know that too from first hand experience as a number of the group i go to games with won't be back next year just as a protest at the handling of the whole sorry saga (unless this season ticket deal they talked about is simply too good to refuse!).

With regard to some of the other bits and pieces, did you Adey, or indeed anyone else who attended pick up on the 'extraordinary circumstances' remark around expenses the club has to meet and the reference to these being out of the way in the next two years (2012 i think i remember was the date mentioned) - i assume this is the Harris payments or am i reading too much into something much more simple than it sounds?

With regard to some of the other bits and pieces, did you Adey, or indeed anyone else who attended pick up on the 'extraordinary circumstances' remark around expenses the club has to meet and the reference to these being out of the way in the next two years (2012 i think i remember was the date mentioned) - i assume this is the Harris payments or am i reading too much into something much more simple than it sounds?

Naturally - I was one of the ones trying to fence with Mr Hood regarding the "recession" analogy, and I was the one who asked bluntly when he expected the "recession" to end! To his credit Mr hood parried the thrusts extremely well, mind, but people can judge whether they learned anything of note. I again just have a wry smile on my face...

As for whether he was talking about anything other than the extraordinary costs of the current recession, and the period over which he expected the club's spending ability to be very seriously curtailed by it, well I'm sure people will form their own views. You might suppose he was...I of course could not possibly comment...