Andy Wilson's latest offering

Obviously this is a load of hot air from the guardian, I generally find that the RL community is much more well informed than the national press.

Anyway Burt go enjoy your holiday and get buying pasties.

The sad fact is that Wakefield would tonk Widnes every day of the week but because of their seeming stubborness to share a stadium they are perhaps going to miss out on top flight stadium to a far inferior club.

Trolling, obviously.

We've got a 300k cap and they have a super league one. Duh. No one could ever make the step up if this was actually something worth considering.

Trolling, obviously.

We've got a 300k cap and they have a super league one. Duh. No one could ever make the step up if this was actually something worth considering.

No, not really.

Exactly what calibre of players do you expect Widnes to attract?

You're currently 8th in a league of 12, which isnt exactly groundbreaking, nor attractive.

I'd expect you'd be getting whoever loses their licences' cast-offs and a smattering of out of contract players.

Having a fairly new stadium and surviving off Wigan and Saints' academy players ad infinitum doesnt really seem too stable a plan.

It would seem to me that the main reason Widnes would get a licence is that the RFL feel duty-bound after picking Salford over them last time.

Bit of a sad state of affairs really.

The best team should go up. Otherwise it makes a mockery of a team bothering to actually win games.

PHOTO_6267313_7691_3768222_ap_320X240.jpg

You're currently 8th in a league of 12, which isnt exactly groundbreaking, nor attractive.

There are only 10 in our League. Shows how much you know.

The best team should go up. Otherwise it makes a mockery of a team bothering to actually win games.

But Licencing is about the strongest Clubs, NOT the strongest Teams.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

No, not really.

I'd expect you'd be getting whoever loses their licences' cast-offs and a smattering of out of contract players.

Having a fairly new stadium and surviving off Wigan and Saints' academy players ad infinitum doesnt really seem too stable a plan.

It would seem to me that the main reason Widnes would get a licence is that the RFL feel duty-bound after picking Salford over them last time.

Don't be pathetic.

First off, you said we wouldn't beat Wakefield on the pitch. DURRRRRRR. Don't add caveats.

Our academy is full to the brim of Widnesians, we have the odd player from outside the town but the overwhelming majority are home town players. You've done no research in this, you've been trolling for a few days, you've done no research. TROLL.

Now behave.

No, not really.

A few points here. Widnes would be able to attract the same players that Wakefield currently have and have had in the their super league tenure. To say Wakey would beat Widnes every day of the week is valid but its no surprise. Stating a fairly obvious point, just like saying a semi pro team would beat an amateur club all the time, its pretty obvious.

Your last point sums it up for me, I couldn't agree more. The whole franchise set up, puts sporting achievements fairly low on the pecking order of "boxes to tick" in relation to other things.

Here's an idea. Why don't we say that the team which finishes bottom of Superleague goes down and the team which wins the Championship goes up? I don't know whether other sports have tried such a revolutionary approach but it might be worth a thought.

Unfortunately, that would mean we'd have to concern ourselves with actual results on the field of play rather than the more important matters of crowd size and stadium size.

Probably a silly idea. That's why you can see that no other sport has ever thought of it. We could call it something like .. er .. promotion and relegation. No. It would never work. Too unfair. Let's kick out Wakefield and promote Widnes .... who are where in the League this season? Ah ... yes.

Here's an idea. Why don't we say that the team which finishes bottom of Superleague goes down and the team which wins the Championship goes up? I don't know whether other sports have tried such a revolutionary approach but it might be worth a thought.

Unfortunately, that would mean we'd have to concern ourselves with actual results on the field of play rather than the more important matters of crowd size and stadium size.

Probably a silly idea. That's why you can see that no other sport has ever thought of it. We could call it something like .. er .. promotion and relegation. No. It would never work. Too unfair. Let's kick out Wakefield and promote Widnes .... who are where in the League this season? Ah ... yes.

Only really relevant if you want RL to continue as a sport where at the elite level it is confined to a few small towns in the north west and some areas of yorkshire and humberside.

I am surprised at the constant trashing of Andy Wilson on here, He has written a well-balanced article from a well sourced journalist. That is sourced as opposed to sauced which seems to be the state of some posters on this forum...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I'm sure the RFL are taring up the franchise rulebook as we speak after that constructive Wildean argument.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Im sorry, such rational arguments aren't allowed on this forum. :P

PHOTO_6267313_7691_3768222_ap_320X240.jpg

I lost all hope of an informed and impartial piece after his opening line, a sly dig at league's encampment around the M62...

"Widnes supporters might as well start checking out the route maps to Hull now (not that it's a very complicated journey

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

But Licencing is about the strongest Clubs, NOT the strongest Teams.

EXACTLY!

Having done so well in previous years, Widnes had no need to go out and spend big on players this year, which is what some of their Championship rivals have done in a desperate bid to try and win something. O'Connor and company have instead concentrated on youth development, off field issues etc to get that side of the business up to SL standard.

They've taken the right approach, whatever NE thinks.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

I am surprised at the constant trashing of Andy Wilson on here, He has written a well-balanced article from a well sourced journalist. That is sourced as opposed to sauced which seems to be the state of some posters on this forum...

I thought it was a good article as well. I don't think he is having a go at RL in anyway, just commenting on the current goings-on. You can't really argue with much of what he has put.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004