Martin Kelner blog on the Guardian site

Interesting up to the point where he writes "Jonathan Davies's analysis is as astute as you will find in any commentary box anywhere. " Davies was a fanatstic player, but makes a lousy commentator, who appears to be completely out of touch with the modern game.

Mind you, Martin Kelner is a Swinton fan isn't he...

Interesting up to the point where he writes "Jonathan Davies's analysis is as astute as you will find in any commentary box anywhere. " Davies was a fanatstic player, but makes a lousy commentator, who appears to be completely out of touch with the modern game.

Mind you, Martin Kelner is a Swinton fan isn't he...

Watching the Leeds game back he does have a point and I would hope the BBC give the final to Woods and Kear.

Davies will get the gig, he is always there for the big games because of his achievements in sport.

I'm glad you said sport and not League.

He makes the most obvious mistakes where in Kear you have someone is up to date with the current goings on and has by far the more superior knowledge of the sport.

Woods and Kear should get the final.

Watching the 'red button' post-match forums, I saw Dave Woods for the first time in quite a while. He's lost a bit of weight, no?

In general, the BBC's coverage over the two semi-finals was pretty decent.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In my opinion and experience, Davies is invariable correct in his analysis. He is just the sort of person we need on our side. Kear and French. although great servants, observers and interpreters of the game also reinforce the stereotype. Davies and Balding break it.

Davies commands great respect amongst players and fans of both codes, which is why, I suspect, he is not liked by some on here, tha' knows, sithee!

Edited by JohnM

In my opinion and experience, Davies is invariable correct in his analysis. He is just the sort of person we need on our side. Kear and French. although great servants, observers and interpreters of the game also reinforce the stereotype. Davies and Balding break it.

Davies commands great respect amongst players and fans of both codes, which is why, I suspect, he is not liked by some on here, tha' knows, sithee!

;)

Watching the 'red button' post-match forums, I saw Dave Woods for the first time in quite a while. He's lost a bit of weight, no?

It was excellent, imo. It made a seismic leap forward when Clare Balding took over as frontperson and has got better and better ever since. Just the right balance between commentary, analysis and light hearted banter. Keep it up.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Mind you, looking at the comments below the blog, that DonGorgon is a real charmer, isn't he? :dry:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mind you, looking at the comments below the blog, that DonGorgon is a real charmer, isn't he? :dry:

There's a good rebuttal further down where someone asks "are you AA Gill's agent?" :lol:

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Just a shame less and less people are watching it on the BBC.

Perhaps that's because no-one knows the games are being shown?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

He was on the BBC a couple of months back taking part in a rowing marathon, I think that's where the lard went.

Martin Kelner is back on Radio Leeds, doing the Breakfast Show. Improved mornings no end for me, especially as I can't do with either Chris Evans or Bill Turnbull.

I remember Martin doing breakfast on Jazz FM around 10 years ago. Excellent show. He had racing tips from the lady with the pin, and Dora Dale from the potato capital of Europe - Ormskirk. Jizz in your face Martin, as Dora used to say. :lol:

I remember when he was on radio Aire doing the breakfast show and the Monsieur Haricot stories with the catchphrase"I've got mine on".Must have been in the early 80's

And of course he did a late night show on Radio Manchester, with Edouard LaPaglie the 'frenchman' who always pronounced Wakefield as Le Wacky-field.

Martin Kelner's piece was good fun but, like some others, I can't agree on his views re "Jiffy" Davies whose inability clearly to articulate his thoughts and feelings on the game and its players is stark by comparison with the perception, vision and revelatory brilliance he displayed sometimes when playing. He doesn't say anything that surprises or delights and adds little to our understanding of the game in vision.

Listening to the likes of Peter Sterling and, especially, Phil Gould - when the latter's stopped trashing English rugby league and all who sail in her - is more exciting partly because it's more educative. They appear to know more than Davies. I sense always, maybe wrongly, that rugby league is only Davies' second-favourite game.

Anyway, here's Tony Collins on what he terms the "Genuflection." Link

I sense always, maybe wrongly, that rugby league is only Davies' second-favourite game.

I always think that Davies would never pay to see a game of league.

He may even know a few names, and team tactics if he watched the odd sky game.

Davies is fine and shows his passion about our game.

I always think that Davies would never pay to see a game of league.

He may even know a few names, and team tactics if he watched the odd sky game.

As an ex-GB lion he doesn't have to. You knew that, surely? :rolleyes:

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . .  . . . Which one did you perform? "