Knowsley Road R.I.P

My first match at KR happened in the early Sixties versus the Aussies. On the day our school headmaster let us off early in the afternoon to watch the game. I was smitten for evermore. This is my fiftieth year watching rugby league at Knowsley Road.

I've seen some great matches over the years and lots of drama. We move on but I'll still miss her.

Thanks for the pictures Mick.

My first match at KR happened in the early Sixties versus the Aussies. On the day our school headmaster let us off early in the afternoon to watch the game. I was smitten for evermore. This is my fiftieth year watching rugby league at Knowsley Road.

I've seen some great matches over the years and lots of drama. We move on but I'll still miss her.

Thanks for the pictures Mick.

How high would you rate the wide to west game from the year 2000, St Helens 16-11 Bradford mate?

I hear one of the new stands at the new ground is to be named the "Wide To The West" stand.

was good to have visited one of the few remaining grounds which hosted the NU in its foundation year.

having said that, thats where the ground belongs, in the history books

for one of the leading english RL clubs that ground is beneath them and the move to the new stadium is long overdue.

ive got little doubt saints are going to average 15,000 in their new ground, and thats what the game needs is more clubs with crowds of that level

Knowsley Road is a traditional rugby league ground and I'm sure when it was in it's prime and of the day it was as good as most. Sure, we've moved on now and demand much more of our stadia but I for one will miss the charm of places like this, Wheldon road and others.

I read a post from someone on here once describing the new places like the KC, DW and the Galpharm as "Soulless places" and, although I love sitting in comfort in these sort of grounds with modern facilities, I knew exactly what he meant.

nah old stadiums are holding the game back

new grounds can have a fantastic atmosphere if they are built to right and the right size.

How high would you rate the wide to west game from the year 2000, St Helens 16-11 Bradford mate?

I hear one of the new stands at the new ground is to be named the "Wide To The West" stand.

It was breathtaking stuff. The match-winning try seemed surreal, even thinking about it today.

As a yound lad, I often wondered how the heck the teams had the energy to climb the old steps at Odsal after a bruising match in the mud!

Did you receive a good welcome at KR?

And one day, the new stadiums will be classed as old-timers by a new generation as old-timers reminisce. :P

You might well be right Saint, though I'm not sure many will look at all fondly at them. Fair enough they score on home comforts, but these breeze block, identikit, palaces have little or no character, no personality, none of those little idiosyncrasies which we loved about the old grounds, basically they have none of the little things which made them unique.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

It was breathtaking stuff. The match-winning try seemed surreal, even thinking about it today.

As a yound lad, I often wondered how the heck the teams had the energy to climb the old steps at Odsal after a bruising match in the mud!

Did you receive a good welcome at KR?

Yes it was first class welcome mate, from all the officials at the club to the stewards and the supporters who I was stood with in the second half in the St Helens end who didn't really understand just how bad our fall from grace has been.

Who knows, if you play Warrington in the play-offs at Knowsley Road I may come over for it as it'll be worth it.

Great shots, Mick, the memories I got from there, mostly not very good.

The Lancs Cup Final drubbings by Wigan, the annual defeat in the league...

My second visit there saw us win, 9-3, Bobby Wanbon running over Pimblett for the winner, from an inside pass by Gwilliam.

I was there when we scored a drop-goal, and the game re-started with a 25m drop out.

We lost anyway.

I had the good fortune of deciding, last minute, not to go to a certain Regal semi-final.

Maybe in the future I'll get to the new ground, and once it's "worn in" it will develop a character and atmosphere like the old grounds had.

These things take time.

Edited by goldcard

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010