Harlequins should move here

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is one you can rule out

http://www.brentfordcommunitystadium.com/n...l-road-project/

But interestingly here is Harlow Town with a shiny new stadium and space for redevelopment. If not temporary seating.

http://www.harlowgateway.co.uk/index.php/football-stadium

A stadium, that has aqllegedly attracted the interest of Saracens and Leyton Orient FC ;)

It seems people just don't like Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road :lol:

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=1185

Remember on Fantasy Island your fantasy may not turn out as you expect it..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

How about Woking? Not in London, but only 25 mins from Waterloo, ground capacity 6036. It would cut my travelling time down by half, and all the RFL developement staff could then be centred around Guildford.

I'd be happy with that!

Plus Woking FC haven't got a pot to p#ss in and could really use the money.

Don't you think that if Broncos had stayed at Brentford then there might have been a better chance to build up a bond with Brentford FC?

London lost money on every game in Brentford and for the privilege had to vacate their home ground for two months every summer.

Great relationship, that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

One idea I think Lobby came up with a while ago was to find a patch of land and erect temporary stands. One thing that brought that idea to mind is the current construction of such a stand at Blackpool FC. Reading this thread (especially post #33) shows what can be achieved given just a few weeks construction time (a few weeks more and they could have had a cantilever roof).

To adapt Lobby's concept, would it not be possible to buy into, or get a secure lease, at a small non-league soccer, RU or other stadium, one that has a reasonable infrastructure, and then build something similar to Blackpool? It would probably mean a bit of flexibility regarding capacity but, given the special circumstances in London, that could be justified.

Even a small stadium + the large temp stand (Blackpool's is 5000 seats I believe) would give a sufficient capacity for London Super League. Plus, as Worcester RU have shown, these constructions are modular and can be incorporated into more permanent structures as and when necessary.

I don't know how portable these things are but you could almost imagine packing up the grandstand and moving on should the site not work out. How about London Travellers?

London lost money on every game in Brentford and for the privilege had to vacate their home ground for two months every summer.

Great relationship, that.

But that was partially down to spending stupid amounts of cash on overseas has-beens

They are losing money now otherwise Mr Hughes wouldn't have said what he said, except now crowds are much worse, and media coverage has plummeted since the move to Quims

Actually as London Broncos the club got pretty good coverage

Plus, as Worcester RU have shown, these constructions are modular and can be incorporated into more permanent structures as and when necessary.

And, indeed, the Stoop.

The problem with suddenly either creating a ground of 12,000 capacity or doubling the capacity of a non league ground and then re-doing that every two weeks is that firstly it isn't cheap (you can ask Bath RU about that), secondly given the nature of London you have to jump through planning hoops even for temporary structures and especially when you're suggesting a dozen occasions when a few thousands northerners are going to drive in and thirdly I'm not sure that there are a huge number of locations out there where it would be feasible to do it anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

[1]But that was partially down to spending stupid amounts of cash on overseas has-beens

[2]They are losing money now otherwise Mr Hughes wouldn't have said what he said, except now crowds are much worse, and media coverage has plummeted since the move to Quims

[3]Actually as London Broncos the club got pretty good coverage

[1] Partially. And to Brentford stiffing us royally. We also didn't sign that many big names at all from overseas and picked up a number of players who nobody else wanted. We should have got more northerners that way too but I believe that it was easier to get lads to travel halfway round the world than it was to get them to move down the M1.

[2] They are losing massive amounts of money, there's no doubt. I don't know how it compares but the end result will be the same unless there's an injection of cash.

[3] I'd suggest that's because as the Broncos they were occasionally competitive. Something they've managed with overseas has-beens (your phrase) but never with Academy products or majority British sides. Harlequins RL have never made the play-offs in the current incarnation.

And, indeed, the Stoop.

The problem with suddenly either creating a ground of 12,000 capacity or doubling the capacity of a non league ground and then re-doing that every two weeks is that firstly it isn't cheap (you can ask Bath RU about that), secondly given the nature of London you have to jump through planning hoops even for temporary structures and especially when you're suggesting a dozen occasions when a few thousands northerners are going to drive in and thirdly I'm not sure that there are a huge number of locations out there where it would be feasible to do it anyway.

Fair enough - we'll reconsider the concept when nano-technology has developed to the extent that construction/demolition of a stadium can occur in seconds.

A few years back I went to the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

There was a grandstand erected for the event at the showgoround, basically a "fold up" kit on a lorry trailer, otherwise you stood around the main showground.

The fair at the event also included a log-flume, again a fold up on lorry trailers.

These things can be hired quickly, erected quickly, cost?

You got me.

However, the ability to do it exists in spades.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

[1] Partially. And to Brentford stiffing us royally. We also didn't sign that many big names at all from overseas and picked up a number of players who nobody else wanted. We should have got more northerners that way too but I believe that it was easier to get lads to travel halfway round the world than it was to get them to move down the M1.

[2] They are losing massive amounts of money, there's no doubt. I don't know how it compares but the end result will be the same unless there's an injection of cash.

[3] I'd suggest that's because as the Broncos they were occasionally competitive. Something they've managed with overseas has-beens (your phrase) but never with Academy products or majority British sides. Harlequins RL have never made the play-offs in the current incarnation.

I remember that London were involved in at least one relegation battle at Brentford.

Also crowds at Brentford were never maximised due to the negatove Aussie influence of the likes of Chris Warren ranting and raving before and during the game. I could ##### hear him from half a mile away, so the residents must have hated him

Also they had the muppety policy of closing off half the ground despite some occasions when it was close to full in the other bits. This reduced the a game atmos and also gives the impression of a filing club for any newbies.

All in all they ahve always been a badly ran club underneath Hughes who I greatly admire. Perhaps he should have ran the club from top-to-bottom and kept his eye on the budget as soons as they started going into debt. The worst big money player was the Kiwi RU player who cost a bomb. That being said I loved to watch Dennis Moran and Richie Barnett in their pomp

Just think about all the people/fans which used to go and be seen on telly who don't go anymore.......

I remember the Welsh lads who went week in/out and stopped going overnight the day they moved to the Stoop. Have never seen Steve/Louise siwho were always on telly too

This thread is very good though and positive. Hope the club are reading because the Stoop will be the death knell for the club

I remember the Welsh lads who went week in/out and stopped going overnight the day they moved to the Stoop. Have never seen Steve/Louise siwho were always on telly too

Hi Lobby, this is not Louise... ;) She says hello! It was good days on the Ealing Road terrace with you and the rest of your 'gang of lads' northern ex-pat group, the Welsh mob, Ian, Ernie, Charlie and the then young drunken London lushes, et al.

The last London (sic) game I went to was against Saints in 2007.

Have you been to a home game recently? Do you know if London's legendary fan, Cliffy, still goes?

I remember that London were involved in at least one relegation battle at Brentford.

Also crowds at Brentford were never maximised due to the negatove Aussie influence of the likes of Chris Warren ranting and raving before and during the game. I could ##### hear him from half a mile away, so the residents must have hated him

Also they had the muppety policy of closing off half the ground despite some occasions when it was close to full in the other bits. This reduced the a game atmos and also gives the impression of a filing club for any newbies.

All in all they ahve always been a badly ran club underneath Hughes who I greatly admire. Perhaps he should have ran the club from top-to-bottom and kept his eye on the budget as soons as they started going into debt. The worst big money player was the Kiwi RU player who cost a bomb. That being said I loved to watch Dennis Moran and Richie Barnett in their pomp

Just think about all the people/fans which used to go and be seen on telly who don't go anymore.......

This thread is very good though and positive. Hope the club are reading because the Stoop will be the death knell for the club

you do realise that closing half thr ground saves an absolutey hat load of money compared to the added couple of people who want a full stadium?? that is why it is done, costs outweighing benefits.. unless you fill your ground you will always find a club struggling for cash shutting stands off its the prudent thing to do, opening it up costing you more for no return is idiotic.

No one has mentioned the other developments at the Olympic site. There will be a 16000 capacity hockey stadium built for which no use has been identified- it is listed as temporary with a plan to relocate within the Stratford area and downsize to 3000 capacity. But why not offer to take it over in situ- perfect transport links as it's inside the Olympic Park (9 minutes from StPancras/Kings Cross) no apparent alternative uses planned. Save the Olympic committe the relocation/downsizing costs and fulfil their 'legacy' commitment by providing a permanent home for RL in London.. Sounds too easy to me

Hi Lobby, this is not Louise... ;) She says hello! It was good days on the Ealing Road terrace with you and the rest of your 'gang of lads' northern ex-pat group, the Welsh mob, Ian, Ernie, Charlie and the then young drunken London lushes, et al.

The last London (sic) game I went to was against Saints in 2007.

Have you been to a home game recently? Do you know if London's legendary fan, Cliffy, still goes?

Hiya! Good days indeed on the terrace - though the best days were in the Brook Road terrace on the two occasions that we convinced the club to open them up (both games, a draw against Leeds and victory over Wigan kept London in the SL that year)

I've been to about 40% of games this year, just to watch a live RL game. I'll be reducing that next year if they stay at the Stoop. I don't go to Skolars anywhere near as much either due to lack of cash/spare time/general annoyance at the lack of P&R to SL

Of that group who used to go, only me and Ian still go. I still see Cliffy occasionally

I think many fans of London RL are just biding their time until the club see sense and get the hell out of the Stoop, either that, or for Skolars to finally start being competitive and push for promotion.

See you at the next ground (unless its at Milton Keynes) then I'll be a regular again at Skolars, as will every other RL fan in London)

No one has mentioned the other developments at the Olympic site. There will be a 16000 capacity hockey stadium built for which no use has been identified- it is listed as temporary with a plan to relocate within the Stratford area and downsize to 3000 capacity. But why not offer to take it over in situ- perfect transport links as it's inside the Olympic Park (9 minutes from StPancras/Kings Cross) no apparent alternative uses planned. Save the Olympic committe the relocation/downsizing costs and fulfil their 'legacy' commitment by providing a permanent home for RL in London.. Sounds too easy to me

Good Call. It's interesting that you mentioned this stadium. I was on my way back from London City airport to South London in a taxi a couple of months back and went via the Olympic area. I noticed what looked several big stadium developments before seeing the main stadium. I figured one might be the velodrome, but couldn't weigh up what the other was. Perhaps this is what you are referring to? This would be ideal. Also would the Velodrome itself be another option? (like Stade Velodrome in Marseille).

QUestion is - Is anyone from the RFL doing anything whatsoever regarding this? Every other sport seems to be sniffing after summat. Would be a crying shame if Union steamrollers in - we might as well kiss goodbye to London then (and survival)

Greetings :D

3,331 was the average at the Valley 2000-2001

3,681 was the average at Griffin Park 2002-2005

3,625 is the current average at the Stoop 2005-2010

Moving or changing our name will change nothing.

According to the RFL, there are 1,000,000 people in the London area with an interest in RL. This is just one target audience. Then you have the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames (2001 poulation 175,000), the surrounding areas of Ealing, Hounslow, Feltham, Brentford.

Then there's the ANZACS, who although they have proved difficult to attract, did turn up in force in 2005 (v Leeds, Griffin Park, 6,500) when the club ran a VB promo in METRO. The RFL marketed the WCC warm up game in 2009 and got nearly 7,000 to a game....Quins did SFA with this data......no change there then.

The simple fact is that unless there is a substantial injection of cash to promote the game, then all the time and effort (as well as considerable funding) that has gone into development and community work will be for nothing.

Who, in their right mind would be happy to invest 10,000,000 over 10 years in a business that is currently losing 30k a week and doing nothing to stop the losses apart from letting staff go?

What Quins need is a total change of management, to bin the community/development work they have carried out on behalf of the RFL at no expense to the RFL and concentrate on turning a profit.

IMO that is.

didnt know there was a hockey stadium being built there.. i would expect the pool, velodrome and main stadium but assumed they would use the natioanl hockey centre at milton keynes..

Not sure what the "legacy" idea is for the stadiums. they seem to be demanding that athletics is kept in the main stadium so you have to keep the track.. so whether there is a "hockey" legacy for the ground needed i dont know or whether a tennant would just be needed.

It would obviously need a pitch laying but it sounds like it would be a good size (maybe downsize a little to be perfect but no need ot worry too much on that score) and good communications.. certainly a possibility.

Good Call. It's interesting that you mentioned this stadium. I was on my way back from London City airport to South London in a taxi a couple of months back and went via the Olympic area. I noticed what looked several big stadium developments before seeing the main stadium. I figured one might be the velodrome, but couldn't weigh up what the other was. Perhaps this is what you are referring to? This would be ideal. Also would the Velodrome itself be another option? (like Stade Velodrome in Marseille).

QUestion is - Is anyone from the RFL doing anything whatsoever regarding this? Every other sport seems to be sniffing after summat. Would be a crying shame if Union steamrollers in - we might as well kiss goodbye to London then (and survival)

not sure about modern velodromes.. they are indoors for a start.. i would think there would need to be quite a major builing project to turn it round, the seating is quite high up with the cornering etc so would need to add to that, and somehow work out how to get the pitch in and out cheaply.

More than that though i would expect with the distinct lack of velodromes in this country that part of the "legacy" would be to keep the velodrome a velodrome for our rising cycling enthusiatic country!

the hockey one sounds good though..

I would assume that whoever needs to sniff around is having a good look, its an opportunity that doesnt come along often to get a great ground with links etc.. BUT there seems to be a lot of politics around hte "legacy" idea and the cost etc so it may be that no matter how much you ask it is very difficult to get these grounds without a lot of caveats and clauses about usage etc.. you would hope that League fits nicely around these though unless it is wanted to keep a hockey legacy at which point the actual pitch would cause the most issues..