James Robys Try

I didn't think Roby's effort was a try, but on the flip side I think Emmitt's should have been given under the benefit of the doubt rule as there was no conclusive proof to show he didn't get the ball down. So they evened themselves out in the end.

The Roby decision was disgraceful, but I agreed with the ref on the Emmitt one. I know benefit of the doubt normally goes with the attcking side, but in this case there was no conclusive proof that he had got it down - all you could definately say was the Crusaders man's arm was under the ball. Surely a team should get some reward for good defence.

The Roby decision was disgraceful, but I agreed with the ref on the Emmitt one. I know benefit of the doubt normally goes with the attcking side, but in this case there was no conclusive proof that he had got it down - all you could definately say was the Crusaders man's arm was under the ball. Surely a team should get some reward for good defence.

Agree that defence needs to be rewarded and with no proof of the ball touching the floor it has to be a NO try. B)

Agree that defence needs to be rewarded and with no proof of the ball touching the floor it has to be a NO try. B)

Is that the rule though, I thought the rules were benefit of the doubt would go to the attacking side?

I wonder how many more contentious VR decisions we have yet to witness before the seasons' out. I notice Wire fans crying over Roby's try, yet they are strangely quiet about Westwoods double movement on Friday night.

AFAIC the Vref is a blight on our game. It creates an un-level playing field - no pun intended - because it isnt available for every game played on a weekend, therefore can have an adverse affect on results and the SL table.

For me we should either all have it ,or nobody has it.

Refs are full time nowadays. They should earn their corn and make a decision.

That surely has to be one of the worst video ref decisions ever by Ian Smith there.

No chance that was a try.

don't know about anyone else but as soon as it occurred i thought no try he's knocked on.could not understand why the video ref had to look at it a few times and still came up with a try.BAFFLED TOTALLY.

Shaun McRae made the obvious comment when he argued with Phil Clarke's support of the decision being right.

He stated: if that had occurred in mid-field then the ref having seen it he would have ruled a Knock-on , he would so too and rightly so.

That was a terrible decision and totally ruined for me what was at that stage a very well contested match.

Shaun McRae made the obvious comment when he argued with Phil Clarke's support of the decision being right.

He stated: if that had occurred in mid-field then the ref having seen it he would have ruled a Knock-on , he would so too and rightly so.

That was a terrible decision and totally ruined for me what was at that stage a very well contested match.

Spot on. I've never understood why different rules seem to apply just because it's in the in-goal area.

Spot on. I've never understood why different rules seem to apply just because it's in the in-goal area.

If a ball is loose on the field and a player dives on it and puts his hand down on it and rolls it forward with his hand and arm (but staying in contact) is that a knock on?

What if it happens in the in goal area - is that a try?

Or does it all depend on which team does it and which team you are supporting? ;)

If a ball is loose on the field and a player dives on it and puts his hand down on it and rolls it forward with his hand and arm (but staying in contact) is that a knock on?

Or does it all depend on which team does it and which team you are supporting? ;)

Look in the mirror pal and you will soon see who is the one being selective.

I am a total neutral in this matter but I know when someone has been awarded a try that never should have been, Roby was given just that. As for who it is who's getting away with the stupidity well answer me this.

Saints in the play-offs are beaten by an identical given try when as with this one, it is blatantly not one, how supportive will you be then of the VRs decision?

For the record I think the VR got both decisions wrong for Saints, Roby's was a no try and Emmetts was a try (Benefit of doubt), But incidents like this just go to show that even with technology mistakes can be made.

Go back a month to the Leeds V Saints game, the VF spent 2 minutes looking at the Danny McGuire 'knock on' and yet still gave the try but when Jon Wells did his analysis for Boots N All on the wednesday he zoomed in on the play and it clearly showed McGuire touched it.

VR 's have to make decisions and its inevitable that they will get a couple wrong.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I would question whether his hand did stay in contact with the ball in this case.

Believe it or not, some of us are capable of forming opinions which are not based on club loyalties.